PDA

View Full Version : Help with boat purchase!

Vlkter
02-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey FNN, So Im going to pick up a late 80's 17' bass tracker tomorrow in La puente. But i dont know too much about boats and OB. I was wondering if there was anyone on here that is a boat tech, or knows alot about boats. If you or someone you know is avail tomororw to come take a look at the boat with me and check out the condition of the motor i will be more then happy to pay you for your time and take you out fishing at the PUDD after. please let me know we can talk prices. Ive been in the market for a boat for 7 months now and finally found one worth my money.

basscat
02-25-2010, 08:58 PM
One thing you want to do is to have the seller, show you the ropes on how to flush the OB. Watch him do and have him run the motor. It'd be best if the seller did not crank the motor earlier, see if it's still cold to the touch, in fact, call the seller to not turn the motor over at all, till you get there.

You want to make sure that there's no issues with a cold start and then watch for a good idling speed.

While it's running, watch the "pee" hole and the stream from coming out, look for a good steady one. Let it now get nice and warm and give it some good throttling, listen for any roughness or hesitation in it.

Ask the seller when was the last tune-up, ask for any service records.

Hope you can find someone to tag along on your inspection.

Vlkter
02-25-2010, 09:10 PM
I have contacted a boat mechanic that does mobile boat repairs and inspections he charges $100, ill prob end up hiring him to do it. but i wanted to see if there was any pros here that would like to make some money and go fishing afterwards :Big Grin:

DockRat
02-26-2010, 06:39 AM
I would do a compression test. Plan on changing the impellor and gear oil every 1 to 2 years.

I use Jose a 20 year outboard mechanic.

Jose 562-607-9210 (mobile mechanic)

DR

Vlkter
02-26-2010, 08:46 AM
I would do a compression test. Plan on changing the impellor and gear oil every 1 to 2 years.

I use Jose a 20 year outboard mechanic.

Jose 562-607-9210 (mobile mechanic)

seems to be the wrong number,

Rooster
02-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Give this guy a call,, He has been working on outboards for many many years. Really nice guy.. I highly recomend him. Great price as well. T is his name (310) 910-6186

He will come to you and run all the test, including compression. Best money ya ever will spend. Tell Him Rob from the pawnshop sent ya.

Vlkter
02-26-2010, 01:00 PM
quick question. is 100 hours on a 40hp merc still a good motor? would you say its half way thru its life?

Rooster
02-26-2010, 01:26 PM
quick question. is 100 hours on a 40hp merc still a good motor? would you say its half way thru its life?

100 hours is nothing if infact the owner knows and is honest. I still would have someone look at it. The peace of mind is worth the money alone in my opinion.

MAVERICK27
02-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Whatever Rooster tells you ......DO IT!! He has helped me buy and sell two boats already. he found my my Bass Tracker deal and its AWESOME!! Good luck with the boat!!!

GeordyBass
02-26-2010, 09:08 PM
100 hours is like 10000 miles on a car,,,, Compression has to be around 135+ PSI Each Piston to be that low in hours. Most sellers aren't really honest. I've learned my lesson and know never to trust someone by their word, in business of course.

NoHo ART
02-27-2010, 01:06 AM
I have contacted a boat mechanic that does mobile boat repairs and inspections he charges $100, ill prob end up hiring him to do it. but i wanted to see if there was any pros here that would like to make some money and go fishing afterwards :Big Grin: what ever you do don't hire jerry or graig of of craigs list this two idiots cant tell apples from oranges:!!!:

Vlkter
03-02-2010, 09:06 PM
what ever you do don't hire jerry or graig of of craigs list this two idiots cant tell apples from oranges:!!!:

lol omg i called him once and now he wont stop calling me!! Lol

GeordyBass
03-02-2010, 11:10 PM
lol omg i called him once and now he wont stop calling me!! Lol
lol tell him to F/O....

They are horrible mechanics, noho knows.....