PDA

View Full Version : Pier Poacher Info

DockRat
02-25-2010, 07:35 PM
How often do you see some pier fishermen fishing and having a couple hoopnets out for lobster or even crab in the summer.

Answer; ALOT

Seems like when ever you go to some pier you'll see someone with a hoopnet tied up and fishing at the same time. Guys have even posted up reports of fishing and hooping at the same time.
I guess you could use one rod and one hoopnet at the same time ?

Check this out.

Q. How many rods can I actively use while fishing from a public pier?

A. You may use no more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs. Species-specific gear restrictions (such as for rockfish, lingcod and salmon) do apply when fishing from a pier.

Q. If I have two rods and lines in the water on a public pier, can I also put a baited hoop net in the water?

A. No, you may use no more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs.

Q. Can I have more than two rods with me while I'm on a public pier?

A. Yes, as long as you are actively using no more than two rods at any one time.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/faqindx.asp#Sport

DR

DockRat
02-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Another violation for Jon Apother ! The guy who caught the 100 lb Black Sea Bass from Balboa Pier.

Did he have a license ? Who knows, but he did not have one displayed on shore. OC DA take note.

You are still requied to display your fishing license till March 1, 2010.

The videos, swimming to retrieve it, posing for pics and NO LICENSE VISABLE.

Q. Am I required to display my sport fishing license outside of my clothing, above my waist?

A. This requirement has been repealed. Effective March 1, 2010 anglers no longer have to display their sport fishing license on their outer clothing above the waist, but their sport fishing license must still be in their possession while fishing. When diving from a boat or shore, divers may have their license on the boat or within 500 yards on the shore, respectively (Ref Section 7145).

Q. While fishing from a public pier without a fishing license, am I allowed to go down onto the beach to land a big fish that I hooked on the pier?

A. No. A fishing license is required when fishing everywhere except for a public pier. Even if you hooked the fish on the pier and only came down onto the beach to land the fish, you would need a valid license to avoid a potential citation. Purchasing an annual fishing license will make this a non-issue; or you may want to buy a pier net to help you land bigger fish from the pier.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/faqindx.asp#Sport

DR ???