PDA

View Full Version : Rockfish season?

KaliDawgFan
02-25-2010, 03:46 PM
When does it start back up?

bowler
02-25-2010, 03:49 PM
On Monday March 1 when it starts back up.

labboss2003
02-25-2010, 03:57 PM
ling cod april 1st

olfishergal
02-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Rock fish starts the 1st, am already booked on an overnighter on the 12th......woooohoooo, we gotta fish together this season DAWG!!!!!

sansou
02-25-2010, 05:58 PM
What about cabezon?

Just joking!! :LOL:

Wingnut
02-25-2010, 06:12 PM
What about cabezon?

Just joking!! :LOL:

Did you know...?

If you catch a legal size Cabazon, or any other kind of Rockfish for that matters from the shoreline or surf... you can keep it, in or out of season. A DFG officer told me this... I should really look this up, can someone confirm? :Wink:

Know the rules before you play the game. :Cool:

bowler
02-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Yes you can keep a Cabazon year round from shore.
RCG Complex1
(including all species of Rockfishes, Cabezon and Greenlings, see sections 1.91 and 28.55, 28.28, and 28.29)

Boat-based Anglers2:
Open: Mar 1–Dec 31
Closed: Jan 1–Feb 28

Divers, Shore-based Anglers2:
Open year-round

2. Divers and shore-based anglers are exempt from season and depth restrictions affecting the RCG complex and other federally managed groundfish (except for lingcod). However, when spear fishing during a boat-based closure, only spear fishing gear is allowed aboard any vessel or watercraft. Also, when angling from shore during a boat-based closure, no vessel or watercraft may be used to assist in taking or possessing species included in this table. The following definitions describe boat-based and shore-based anglers, and divers:

Boat-based anglers are fishermen angling from boats or vessels of any size or any other type of floating object, including kayaks and float tubes.
Shore-based anglers are fishermen angling from beaches, banks, piers, jetties, breakwaters, docks and other manmade structures connected to the shore.
Divers are spear fishermen entering the water either from the shore or from a boat or other floating object.

I hope this helps you.

Fisherman57
02-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Did you know...?

If you catch a legal size Cabazon, or any other kind of Rockfish for that matters from the shoreline or surf... you can keep it, in or out of season. A DFG officer told me this... I should really look this up, can someone confirm? :Wink:

Did you know...?

Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

sansou
02-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Did you know...?

I think the key is that if you aren't 100% sure of the regulation, then throw it back ASAP or immediately stop fishing for it. It's that simple. As a matter of law, you either "poached" or you didn't. There is no "intent", and pleading ignorance of the regs is simply ignorant in of itself.

You are 100% correct: Rockfish is open year round to shore anglers (and spearos). Still doesn't let you keep the big "no-no's" (canary, cows, bsb, etc..). In our area (southern mgt zone), that's 10 (including your count of any Rockfish, Greenlings & Cabs).

I think before you were on the board, there was a huge argument over this quirky little reg., and if I recall, the issue was about a guy keeping short cabezon that he was squidding out of that long jetty in San Pedro. If memory serves me correct, he was also the genius that would post a bunch of garibaldi...which he obviously targeted. Of course, when you call someone out on their poachy ways, you are labeled a "hater". Classic!

sansou
02-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Ooops, looks like Bowler already stated the regulation. My bad, I didn't see this when posting up. Thanks Bowler!

Did you know....?

....cabezon eggs are a much sought after delicacy within the Hemlock Society?

bowler
02-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Cabezon egg are bad for you i found this on a website and i heard of it before too.

Flesh is good eating , but eggs are poisonous and will make humans violently ill."

DockRat
02-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Did you know...?

If you catch a legal size Cabazon, or any other kind of Rockfish for that matters from the shoreline or surf... you can keep it, in or out of season. A DFG officer told me this... I should really look this up, can someone confirm? :Wink: :Cool:

When you say 'Out of season' your only talking about on a boat with fishing poles.
Shore, pier, jetty is open all year.

Rockfish are open all year to catch on a boat skin or scuba diving with no poles onboard.

Look at this toad.
Speared 31" - 23lbs

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/Sploded/Fish/SHtip.jpg
DR