PDA

View Full Version : big bear

abbfanuc
02-24-2010, 08:27 PM
hey guys,

don't know if this is the correct place to post.

But i'm going to Big Bear on Friday morning and it may be snowing. I have driven in snow before but never in the mountains. My concern/question is: What is the correct type of tire chain/cable for my car? Are some brands better than others or are all pretty much the same. I have a 2000 Mitsu Montero Sport LS 3.0L. Tire size 225/70-16. Do i need chains only on the drive tires?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Newfishsmell
02-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Yes they would go on the drive wheels , best to check your owners manuel because
some vehicles require cables only due to low clearance between tire and fender...

Good luck

BBL2Baja
02-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Yes, it will be snowing. You'll probably need those chains/cables. Fishtale is right, they go on the drive tires and if your vehicle is 4x4 (Montero? Possibly?) you will only need cables or chains if the road conditions are R3 (look for road signs). If your vehicle is 4x4 and it is R3 road conditions, you'll put them on the front tires. You will need to carry chains regardless of conditions, if you pass a "carry chains, winter weather" sign. If you are pulled over and are not carrying chains anywhere past this sign (ie; all of Big Bear) you'll be ticketed even if chains are not required (you're still in the mountains). You need to make absolute CERTAIN that your chains are a fit for your tire size EXACTLY. No deviations of any of the measurement numbers. Most places don't do refunds on chains cables since it's against California State Law. Take warm, nimble fingered gloves, a blanket and a flashlight with you. Sucks to be putting those things on with frozen fingers, knees in the snow and with no light. And for GOD'S SAKE, when putting on your traction devices, PULL OFF THE SIDE OF THE ROADWAY. Nothing signifies to the locals more that you're a hapless Flatlander than to stop in the road and wrestle with your chains! :)

It's currently 36 degrees and falling, windy and cloudy. Have a great trip!

Later,
Scott