PDA

View Full Version : Important Rush Creek video

Big Bear Legal Eagle
02-24-2010, 01:11 PM
For 6 years I was the attorney who represented fishing groups that joined together to force the LADWP to re-water and restore Rush Creek below Grant Lake in Mono County. Over a quarter of a century later, despit being ordered by the Third District Court of Appeals to restore the fishery that existed prior to 1941 when the stream was illegally de-watered, all affirmative efforts to restore the stream were abruptly cancelled after one year and the lower 5 of 7 miles remains devestated and the Mammoth Flyrodders are beginning to reassemble to fight the next war...
I know this is a "report" section and you will see in the video linked below Mammoth Flyrodders President Dick Dahlgren catch fish that will make you drewl, so it's technically a "report." :-)
More importantly, it is a call to arms to everyone who has felt the throbbing of a wild rainbow or brown up to 20" from a wadable stream in our own backyard. Just like in 1984 the "professional" fishing organizations are too busy soliciting corporate donations to pay their overhead to take on a giant like LADWP so it's up to those of us who make up in determination what we otherwise lack in financial resources.
Take a look at this video, pass it on to all your fishing friends. When we started this battle in 1984, LADWP scoffed at us because we were "just fisherman." On the other hand, when Christ chose his apostles, he chose fishermen not water bureaucrats. Let's see if we can prove that it's no longer "Chinatown."

Barrett McInerney
McAttorney@aol.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgNR99UVl78

DockRat
02-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the video. Just came down the 395 the other day. I was checking out the Truckee River in Reno too.
DR

Trout-Chaser
02-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Great video--even greater story. Thanks to you and all the others that fought to save this gem of a fishery from going down the insatable gaping gullet of Los Angeles. LA needs to put a moratorium on all new growth for at least 50 years. No new homes, no new residents. There's enough toilets flusing now--and they can't manage the sewage properly from that either. Just ask Heal The Bay and Surfrider Foundation. I live in LA and I can tell you that it needs to be managed more effectively before it grows anymore!

Like I've said in previous posts--you have to fight to keep things you love and that are important to keep. It's not enough to just go out and enjoy your favorite spots. Sometimes you need to fight for it by speaking out and writing letters--heck even show up at those public hearings once in a while. If pressured hard enough, the idiots will cave.

Just check out that nice brown at 9:18 in the video and tell me that piece of water is not worth fighting for!