PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach Pier "J" 02/21/10

EL_CHIDO
02-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Went here for the first time yesterday.

I was planning to go to Cabrillo Beach but I found the nearest tackle shop in San Pedro and ask the clerk for recommendations.

She said to try Pier J and to throw ghost shrimp & bloodworms. She said some ppl were getting nice size halibut.

I started rigging 3oz Pyramid sinker on bottom and the hook 24" up on a dropper loop.
I switched to Carolina with only 1oz sliding egg for easier casting. I wanted to get about 20-30 yards from the rocks.

Unfortunately, I skunked, but am going to try again next Sunday.

Any tips for those who know the area?

murrieta angler
02-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Hey Bro,
If your gonna try halibut with bait, try switching over to dead chovies and try a reverse dropper loop. That way the bait moves around on the bottom freely, where the hali's will be.
Another thing is to try next to a bait barge or boat, if one is near. The hali's hang out there as well for an easy meal.
Good Luck,
Robert

DockRat
02-22-2010, 08:37 PM
I guess you were at the Queen Mary public fishing area?
I have been working over there at Cosco last 2 days. Today there was a big school of porpoise at least 50 chasing bait with gulls and pelicans diving betrween Pier J and the Federal breakwall. That spot is not very productive but kinda nice with the free parking. Saw some asain guys bucket today and he had 3 - 5 yellow fin croaker, couple walleyed perch, and one short 4" rock/cancer crab that I told him it was short but they busted off the claws already (poacher) not to mention illegal to catch crab on H/L. The water was murky brown today.

One dude did get a 70 lb thresher a few months ago at the QM spot but most of the time I don't see much going on there.

Try fishing closer to the rocks or move your bait on the long casts every few minutes to cover ground.

Or try the beach from Cherry towards Belmont pier for Butts.
DR

smokehound
02-22-2010, 11:33 PM
this whole area is actually a giant harbor =P

Catch some live smelt with an umbrella net, and send it out there for halis.

Jaysuuun
02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm surprised you got skunked using ghosties. Those will usually catch everything, except halibut that is. Try using live sardines, grunion, smelt or anchovies. If you can't find live bait, the next best thing is fresh or frozen.

EL_CHIDO
02-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Just wanted to make sure I hooked the shrimps correctly. I single hooked them right on the last segment of their tail and that's it, didn't want to hook the body as it seems to kill and shred them right away.

fisherman from long beach
02-23-2010, 09:55 AM
just wanted to make sure i hooked the shrimps correctly. I single hooked them right on the last segment of their tail and that's it, didn't want to hook the body as it seems to kill and shred them right away.

the thing about ghosties you cant cast that far just hooked like that.i put my hook from tell and work it down the hook to the head,like if you were hookin a worm,try it i use ghost shrimp all the time at the wall.they stay on better.

Jaysuuun
02-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Just wanted to make sure I hooked the shrimps correctly. I single hooked them right on the last segment of their tail and that's it, didn't want to hook the body as it seems to kill and shred them right away.

I've found the best hooks for ghosties is a 1/0 Khale Hook. The elongated shape of the hook allows you to thread the whole ghostie. Start at the tail and thread the hook all the way up to the head just til the point of the hook barely comes out. Try not to crack or break the head when your pushing the point through and keep the barb of the hook in the head. It helps to keep it in place. Hope this helps :Cool: