PDA

View Full Version : Tradition SMB Bassin' 2/20/10

Jackpot Jimmy
02-21-2010, 09:25 PM
After a week of steadily warming weather, the outlook for Saturday did not look too good. The rain was supposed to start up Friday night and pour throughout the weekend. By Friday morning, however, the outlook improved, and with 14 reservations in the books, Saturday was going to be a go. I got picked up Saturday morning by my friend Jim and we headed down to Redondo and arrived. John came and sold everybody tickets, and we made our way around the International Boardwalk over to where the Tradition is docked. Shortly before 6 o’clock, Morgon came up and collected everybody’s ticket stubs, and we made our way onto the boat. We then rolled off the dock, and for the first time in months, headed over to the bait receiver. We also got a first glimpse at the bait boat Magic, which is a much smaller boat than the New Sunbeam, but much nicer looking. After getting some four to five inch sardines, we headed on out. Our first destination would be the sculpin grounds.

We arrived at the sculpin grounds and started a drift. Nothing was happening, so we tried anchoring. It was evident that the sculpin were in lockjaw mode, so we quickly moved on to the bass fishing. Once we found the rock, we started to catch bass. However, the bass were very picky when they bit your bait. You would have to let them eat that bait long enough to get it in all the way, but not to let the fish get in the rocks. It was very tricky, but we were getting fish. The giant Fido hanging around us started to swim to the bottom and steal our squid, which only complicated the situation. After a good long while, we move on to another spot.

The next spot was very sticky to say the least – a true tackle eater. A few guys, including yours truly, lost a few nicer bass. With the wind picking up, we backtracked and tried a spot closer to home. After locating the rock on that spot, we started getting bit. Some guys managed to land a few more bass. We soon headed for the barn, with just over 40 bass along with a few sculpin.

The current made fishing a bit tough, but those who worked at it were richly rewarded. There’s only one more week until rockfishing starts, so hop on the Tradition and put the wood to some bass! Jackpot went to Tradition regular Tom. It was nice to meet and fish with Mike (FNN member ANGLER-IN-TRAINING) and his son. Great times, great fishing!

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/001-42.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/003-48.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/Tradition1A.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/002-43.jpg

lingcod sierra
02-21-2010, 09:49 PM
nice report and pics jimmy, what happened to ray?

marc626
02-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Good stuff Jimmy. I'm pretty excited about the rockfish opener. Did the fin bait produce at all or was the leadhead w/ squid the ticket?

murrieta angler
02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
How You Doing Jimmy,
Nice quick report, to the point. Enjoyed the pics also. I have still not fished the Tradition for the bass this season, but I have bought the leads and soft plastics. I am hoping this week?!?
Take Care & Await Your Next Report,
Robert

Ricky-Ray
02-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Nice going JJ. Better start stocking up on torpedo sinker's and lay off the leadheads. Rockfish season's coming up. hahaha

Jackpot Jimmy
02-22-2010, 03:58 PM
nice report and pics jimmy, what happened to ray?

Thanks Carlos! Ray's wife was on call so he had to be home to watch his son.

Good stuff Jimmy. I'm pretty excited about the rockfish opener. Did the fin bait produce at all or was the leadhead w/ squid the ticket?

Thanks! Nobody tried the fin bait for bass, but one guy was using them trying for a halibut all day, and he got a few bites that looked pretty good.

How You Doing Jimmy,
Nice quick report, to the point. Enjoyed the pics also. I have still not fished the Tradition for the bass this season, but I have bought the leads and soft plastics. I am hoping this week?!?
Take Care & Await Your Next Report,
Robert

Thanks Robert! Yep, this week would be the week to get out for a good shot at the bass. Once rockfish open up, we will probably spend the most time on them.

Nice going JJ. Better start stocking up on torpedo sinker's and lay off the leadheads. Rockfish season's coming up. hahaha

Thanks Ray! Yeah, I'm going to have to stock up on some torpedo sinkers, diamond jigs, jax jigs, and shrimp flies. Sad part about it is my tackle box magically goes from 10 pounds to 40 pounds. LOL

JapanRon
02-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Ah Ha ... there you are !! ha ha ha Yep ... missed the report for sure. As always .... nice report and pics of some happy anglers !! That looks like quite a chop on the water that day.

I guess you've noticed that when the water is choppy and irregular .... you can just stand by on losing far more terminal tackle and whatever else than usual !! Grrrrrrr

JapanRon

Jackpot Jimmy
02-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Ah Ha ... there you are !! ha ha ha Yep ... missed the report for sure. As always .... nice report and pics of some happy anglers !! That looks like quite a chop on the water that day.

I guess you've noticed that when the water is choppy and irregular .... you can just stand by on losing far more terminal tackle and whatever else than usual !! Grrrrrrr

JapanRon

That's for sure! When you hang the rock just when a swell comes through, there's no chance to shake it out.

waterpossum
03-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the great report!!! Have had a messed up schedule. Hope to get out on the Tradition soon. Waterpossum