PDA

View Full Version : Squidding w/ My Daughter 2/19

murrieta angler
02-21-2010, 12:43 PM
My daughter TOLD me that she wanted to go out and catch a giant squid. Her biology teacher said it was an incredible experience and one she would never forget. Who am I to argue with my her.
We decided to head out of Helgren's in Oceanside with some of her classmates and teachers. The Oceanside 95 was pulling out at 6:00 p.m. and returning at 11:00. The price was $37 for each of us. There was a special since it was through the school...:Smile:
On the way down there I stopped at the tackle shop in Oceanside and grabbed a squid jig. When I glanced over at the Lucky Craft display I noticed they had some new 110's, so I grabbed 2, one in Candy Sardine and one in MS Anchovie. Back to the trip. We arrived at 5:30, signed up, paid, got my daughter a license and went outside to wait. The boat pulled out at 6 o'clock sharp and we only went 3-5 miles and that's where we would do the damage.
Tha captain said we would be dropping down to at least 83 fathoms (500 feet) if not up to 160..:Rolls Eyes: I decided to just watch my daughter fish, as well as the others, and then jump in once the other people brought the squid up....:Secret:
I told my daughter what to do, as far as jigging and trying different depths, and see what happens.
An hour and a half into it someone finally gets one hooked up and everyone thinks that it's about to go off...:Surprised: NOTHING!! The captain decides to move the boat back around, cause the drift was pretty strong that night, and then see what happens. After about half an hour I look to my left and I see one guy get hooked up, then another, then 2 more....:Big Grin:
Next thing you know it is chaos...I look at my daughter and she has one on as well...:Big Grin:

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/OceansideGiantSquid.jpg

It ended up being about 25 lbs. She was stoked but she also was wore out from the battle of reeling it up. To make things worse, the drag wasn't tightened all the way so it kept taking line also...:LOL:
I decided to get my line wet, since the squid were up now, and I landed a small one, maybe 12-14 pounds. I didn't mind cause it would be much easier to prepare to eat...:Smile:
My daughter ended up getting 2 more and she had enough. We went inside the galley to grab a bite and it was perfect timing, it started to pour, it was around 9:50, and the captain had already decided we were gonna head back to the docks.
All in all it was a nice trip with my daughter and she told me that she thinks she is ready to head out on a tuna trip with me this summer...:Big Grin:
Thanks for the read,
Robert

THROWBACK RANGER
02-21-2010, 02:11 PM
good times !!!!

troutdog
02-21-2010, 02:23 PM
A memory that will last a lifetime for sure, thanks for sharing and congrats on the squid!

TD

sansou
02-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a fun trip was had! Slay away!

My 8 year old daughter saw some FNN squid pics, and now wants to go too. Her heart's in the right place, but she's still a little too young to go squidding...

murrieta angler
02-21-2010, 06:58 PM
A memory that will last a lifetime for sure, thanks for sharing and congrats on the squid!

TD

Thanks TD...

murrieta angler
02-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Sounds like a fun trip was had! Slay away!

My 8 year old daughter saw some FNN squid pics, and now wants to go too. Her heart's in the right place, but she's still a little too young to go squidding...

My daughter has been fishing with me since she was 8. Her first trip was a wfo cuda bite. Still still talks about it like it was yesterday.

Have fun in S.F. My dad used to live there and I fished the rocks a couple of times with no luck.
Robert

ghetto dad
02-21-2010, 07:44 PM
GREAT job on the squid..kill em ALLLLLL!!! yeah...it is MUCH easier with a 2 speed reel for those things...with my Newell 322 when we ran into some, i was done after 3......after I got my Avet JX 2 speed, I landed over 20 without breaking a sweat!

thanks for the report

GD

fisherman from long beach
02-21-2010, 07:50 PM
good report ,and especially when the daughters want to catch squid.

JapanRon
02-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi murrieta angler,

WTG on the father/daughter trip. Congrats to the lady-angler on a great catch !

Thanks for the report and pics,

JapanRon

cjmedina
02-21-2010, 08:15 PM
nice report robert

murrieta angler
02-22-2010, 12:59 PM
GREAT job on the squid..kill em ALLLLLL!!! yeah...it is MUCH easier with a 2 speed reel for those things...with my Newell 322 when we ran into some, i was done after 3......after I got my Avet JX 2 speed, I landed over 20 without breaking a sweat!

thanks for the report

GD

Thanks GD,
I would love to buy a 2 speed reel, but at this time it is not possible. If I hook up with this big job in Hemet, I will definately buy one though for the upcoming tuna season. If not, I still have my Penns.
Take care,
Robert

murrieta angler
02-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi murrieta angler,

WTG on the father/daughter trip. Congrats to the lady-angler on a great catch !

Thanks for the report and pics,

JapanRon

Thanks for the kind words Ron,
I am very lucky that all my kids and wife enjoy fishing almost as much as I do. When I get to retirement age, I will for sure have a fishing partner...
Thanks for the response,
Robert

Ricky-Ray
02-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Congrat's to your daughter's first squirt. Hopefully you guys will be able to get one some tuna trips this year and get her her first tuna too. I've got a couple of trips planned already, shoot me a PM if you want the details.

Jackpot Jimmy
02-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Nice report Robert! I remember going after squid for the first time being pinned to the rail. LOL

murrieta angler
02-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Congrat's to your daughter's first squirt. Hopefully you guys will be able to get one some tuna trips this year and get her her first tuna too. I've got a couple of trips planned already, shoot me a PM if you want the details.

Thanks for the invite Ricky-Ray,
Most likely I'll head out on the Condor. They have a great crew who are knowledgeable and very personable. I also like the boat overall.
Hope you have a great year,
Robert

ghetto dad
02-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks GD,
I would love to buy a 2 speed reel, but at this time it is not possible. If I hook up with this big job in Hemet, I will definately buy one though for the upcoming tuna season. If not, I still have my Penns.
Take care,
Robert

yo Robert..sorry brother..my intent wasnt to say anything negative about the gear you use..just givin you a heads up on what made life easier for me on a trip...lol..take care

GD

ghetto dad
02-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the invite Ricky-Ray,
Most likely I'll head out on the Condor. They have a great crew who are knowledgeable and very personable. I also like the boat overall.
Hope you have a great year,
Robert

CONDOR rocks!! EXCELLENT service and crew!!!

GD

klocked
02-23-2010, 11:02 AM
That's awesome Robert! I tried talking my boy into going out for some squid..... he politely declines. It must be nice to have a family into fishing as much as you are.

murrieta angler
02-23-2010, 03:45 PM
yo Robert..sorry brother..my intent wasnt to say anything negative about the gear you use..just givin you a heads up on what made life easier for me on a trip...lol..take care

GD

GD,
By no means did I take what you wrote as negative. I've been reading your posts for a while now and know you meant no harm. I was just saying I would love to get my hands on a 2 speed...That's All.

murrieta angler
02-23-2010, 03:49 PM
That's awesome Robert! I tried talking my boy into going out for some squid..... he politely declines. It must be nice to have a family into fishing as much as you are.

Thanks klocked,
They all love it but hate the waiting game......who does!?
I don't know how old your boy is but those squid pull hard. My daughter is 17 next week and had a real tough time reeling it in with my one speed.
Take It Easy,
Robert

lngbchfnhnter
02-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Great report MA! Bet you had a smile from ear to ear watching your daughter fight that squid! :Big Smile:
Priceless moments...
Thanks for the pic..

DockRat
02-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Great post and pic. WTG
DR

pineapple express
03-05-2010, 12:04 AM
great report Robert... mahalo for sharing.
those things are fun to pull on...not bad eats
if you know how to prepare them.

sorry fellas been away from FNN for awhile.
im back !!!
PE

murrieta angler
03-05-2010, 07:06 PM
great report Robert... mahalo for sharing.
those things are fun to pull on...not bad eats
if you know how to prepare them.

sorry fellas been away from FNN for awhile.
im back !!!
PE

DANGG!!
I thought you went back to the islands...lol
Good so see you back and look forward to some reports.
Robert