PDA

View Full Version : And i thought i was going striper fsing pyramid friday

TroutOnly
02-21-2010, 11:31 AM
had the day off from work and my nursing duties taking care of my wife susan,she sent me off for the day to go fishing. i had seen the roprts from castaic but nothing lately from pyramid, so pyramid it was. got to the lake to find alot of bass boats getting ready for the open, i was thinking there was a bass tournament sat,because the weather was cold and crappy so thats why so many of them were there. hit the water and trolled around the marina area metering but there wasnt anything around the water was very green and at full pool. moved out the channel , didnt see much of anything until i hit the deep open water out in the lake , then i metered huge schools rolling around at 70ft down to 100ft in some of the most massive schools ive seen there in a long time.i picked off schoolies slowing my speed down to a crawl and letting out more the a couple hundred ft of line. i worked my way around the lake in the big white caps and cool wind.every now and then i would meter shallow fish up hunting bait,then i stick a little schoolie. after a while i got tired big water and decided to take a brake in the pirates cove , i thought i would ransack the boys spot seeing how i havent seen them there forever. dropped anchor on a flat slick rock next to a nice drop off. i started with a crawler on one set up and a anchovie on the other ,after seeing schools breezing thru and no action , i put on a fresh chovie with some of trollmiesters orange colored sardine scent. it wasnt long and i got a real cool hit the a run around the side of the boat, the only thing was it didnt feel like a striper or a catfish, which at times big kitties hang out there,when it finally came up to the net i could see it was a holdover trout. it had swallowed the whole chovie , so it was an instant death sentice , so because i had no ice because i wasnt planning on killing i put about half way up the live well with water ans seeing how it was 50 degrees it would keep my cath cold till i went home. i stayed there for several hours watching the schools roll thru and then i would get hit , they only wanted chovie with the trolly dip,it figures because the trout up north browns or rainbows have been blowing the crap out of anythiing with that scent on it.i ended up with five trout the biggest around 5lbs for the session in the cove .it was nice to sit back in the cove out of the wind it sprinkled on and off most all of the day the best weather was right at closing which figures. i hadnt caught trout there in a very long time i guess the stories some of my bass fishing pals told me was true, many of them had caught holdovers on plastics around the day area while fishing for bass,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/DSCN0167hhhhhhhH-11111111-AAAAAAAA-.jpg

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/100_2117bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb---------.jpg

Fishbones
02-21-2010, 11:50 AM
thanks for the report...trout are better than skunk.....
trout on chovies...LOL...ive seen them caught on shrimp before..

troutdog
02-21-2010, 11:52 AM
I see you're living up to your screen name Bob, wtg out there...5lb holdover at Pyramid? :Shocked:
NICE!

TD

diamondbear
02-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Way to slay Bob , those are nice looking trout . It feels good when a plan comes together , ha .

kpn
02-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Nice job on those trout Bob. I guess You can catch trout with anything :LOL:.

Newfishsmell
02-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Good going , your eating good tonight...

RamboBoy
02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
what's up troutonly? Nice trout

fishfinder
02-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Wow, and we were about to rename you striperonly

blackberg
02-21-2010, 08:36 PM
well it is your name, what did you expect? striper? lol

nice catch btw

-bb

fishincrave
02-21-2010, 09:01 PM
nice going there Bob.I though you knew about the nice holdover trout at pyramid:Wink:

GeordyBass
02-21-2010, 09:15 PM
nice Job Bobby! Slay Slay Slay!

Beeracuda211
02-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Looks like these populations are getting out of control since we've been off the water... Thin em out uncle bob....

TroutOnly
02-22-2010, 07:00 AM
sean i hadnt caught any in there for so long i thought they were all gone ,i had people tell me they were there i just didnt beleave it ,now i do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O

Ray Lopez
02-22-2010, 07:59 AM
nice holdover there Bob. Out of the local lakes around me that is the lake for the bigger trout for sure!

CAPT'N
02-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Nice Trout uncle Bob !

Capt'n

hamneggs
02-22-2010, 09:30 AM
loved the live well shot.... It's so funny how different the water is at Pyramid vs. Castaic. I guess the big stripeys are still hunkered down holding near structure. I'll be Susan was happy to see some fresh trout come home!

fishinone
02-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the report Bob. I'm glad to hear that you got out there.

First some schoolie striper then the holdover trout. Not bad.

I'm happy to hear of someone else catching trout on chovies. I thought there was something wrong with me.

What's is trollmiesters orange colored sardine scent? Where can I get it?

Shock
02-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Nice job on the trout Bob!!

Glad to hear you were able to get out and do some fishing!!

Hopefully I will be up that way this weekend.

Hitts0n
02-22-2010, 02:28 PM
I love Pyramid holdovers !!:Cool:

fishfinder
02-22-2010, 04:00 PM
I hope those big trout eat some of those dink stripers

DEADROOTS
02-22-2010, 06:19 PM
They've got nice tails... Good job Bob!

kewlwhip
02-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Right ON UNCLE B!!!

"trout-word" must've gotten out from pVR that you were headed out towards Pyramid...those holdies at Pyramid jumped onto your hooks! lolz

way to slay always!! I've been doing some recon for us... :Wink: lol

TroutOnly
02-23-2010, 07:27 PM
ron it mikes scents sardine flavor,i will try find out where we can get it , its the ****,,,,,,,,,,,T/O

Wingnut
02-23-2010, 10:48 PM
A nice change of pace Bob... love the surprise, well done!