PDA

View Full Version : Heading up near Bishop in May?

oakboy
02-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Had some questions, i have never been up this early in the season. :LOL: What areas are open to fishing? I was hoping to go around lake Mary. Also this early in the season is the weather going to be a factor? Thanks for any and all help!

<><
KP

andrewzw
02-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Everything should be open since the opener is officially in April for Mono county.

The weather shouldn't be too bad. Doubt it will be snowing or anything but I would pack a few warm jackets and everything because it can easily get into the 30's or so at night.

Flying
02-21-2010, 01:02 PM
The last 2 years I did the week before Memorial Day and got very warm weather. I stayed in Mammoth and tubed Crowley and June in T shirts.

Mammoth lakes were just getting the roads cleared for Memorial weekend. I had access to Twin but not the others.
Tioga was open to the park entrance but the lakes where still frozen. We watched skiers come down the face above Ellery
Virgina was just starting to thaw out. We watched skiers come down the hill above that lake too. Pretty cool.

I don't know much about Bishop but I'm sure Smitty will chime in soon.

If you stay below 8000' you should be ok.

Trout 1
02-22-2010, 07:43 PM
I go to Bishop in May pretty much every year and the weather is great. I think it was two years ago it snowed from Intake II and up but didnt last to long. But you never know what you will get up there so I dress in layers. I know the fishing was off the hook. We were getting 3-5lbers nothing under 2lbs expect the wilds. I noticed last year I got a loooooot of browns more than any other year. I went 3 time last year and got at least 8 browns each trip.

Trout 1

oakboy
02-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks a lot guys for all the info! Any tips on lures or bait for Intake II? I have yet to fish it, ive only been to the back country lakes and streams.

<><
KP

Trout 1
02-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Ahhh you gotta hit up Intake II!!! I use jigs and thats about it. I have gotten so big Alpers outta there. I use natural colors or the row colored jigs there. Lip RipperZ really work good there also my go to jig there is a Snot Rocket Lip RipperZ. Good luck!! BTW if u need to know anthing else about PM me.

Trout 1

deanhall32
02-23-2010, 12:22 PM
You might want to get up to Bishop before the crowd starts. Fishing is excellent right now ( or last I heard ) . PVR and the wild trout section are easy to get to and full of fish. Rates at hotels are cheap, food is good, and the women are scarce!

oakboy
02-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Sounds awesome, Dean!

John Harper
02-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Deanhall32 is the Joey Logano of trout fishing, only a bit better looking.

deanhall32
02-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Deanhall32 is the Joey Logano of trout fishing, only a bit better looking.

Aren't you the guy that looks like Karl Malden and uses powerbait all the time??

John Harper
02-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Powerbait and 20lb. test on my Popeil Pocket Fisherman, the only way to fish. Also, never release anything, no matter what.

John

deanhall32
02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Powerbait and 20lb. test on my Popeil Pocket Fisherman, the only way to fish. Also, never release anything, no matter what.

John

Yea. You're the guy! The guy that leaves the trail of Budweiser cans along the riverbank and yells outloud everytime you hook-up."Hey, I got another one"!

John Harper
02-26-2010, 10:19 AM
No, I only leave COORS LIGHT cans and rats nests of monofilament cluttering the banks. As for the yelling, at least I yell "I got ANOTHER one" instead of "I got ONE."

John

smokecdxx
03-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Ahhh you gotta hit up Intake II!!! I use jigs and thats about it. I have gotten so big Alpers outta there. I use natural colors or the row colored jigs there. Lip RipperZ really work good there also my go to jig there is a Snot Rocket Lip RipperZ. Good luck!! BTW if u need to know anthing else about PM me.

Trout 1

Well after reading this thread i think my friends and I are going to be moving our trip date up to may instead of june. maybe get a 2nd trip in july....hahhaha

and trout one is there anything more you can tell us? pm me if you dont want your info broadcast. my friends and i are going to stay at 4 jefferys for sure maybe try to find a better site that we can reserve. any info on campsites? we are gonna be hitting south lake and maybe lake sabrina have you fished those?

nellkev
03-15-2010, 09:56 PM
4 Jeffery's gets very cold at night in May so bring a good sleeping bag. If you stay in the meadows the deer will visit you in the evening. Cool spot but the bugs are a little heavy.

JAG107
04-05-2010, 04:45 PM
We'll be staying at 4 Jeffrey Mem. weekend. Plan on hitting South, Sabrina for some trolling goodness, Intake II (never been, sounds good?), and possibly the hike-in lakes if it's thawed hopefully. Camped at Sabrina last year 3rd week of May, had a little brown snow on the ground but otherwise was great! Hoping for a good warm streak this year too...