PDA

View Full Version : Short, Multi-Species Trip: NPH 2/20

calico killer kevin
02-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Very quick session today. Got there 5:00, left 5:45. Fished one rod, one reel, and one bait all day.
Dawned my wetsuit for the highish low tide and figured I could go Hesbros on them. Not many bites today, so I had to really capitalize on the ones that I did get. Popped my Gulp Shrimp on the bottom with a 1/16oz head and most of the bites came on the fall after the pop.
First up was a spottie that bit hard and put up a respectable fight. Casted my way a few docks down and as soon as the shrimp hit the water, BOOM. Smashed it and took off under the neighboring dock for cover. I was nervous because I was fishing 20/6 Sufix braid and 4lb Sufix Elite mono. I had my drag pretty tight and he was still ripping like no tomorrow. I knew he wasn’t a bass or a hali when he was straight running rather than headshaking or staying put. He surfaced after a bit and showed his fat broad side with a big spot, so I knew it was Spotfin and a chunky one at that. Fun fish for sure. Last was a YFC that followed my bait for a while and slammed it right before I was going to lift my bait.
Overall, a fun time for such a short trip and a multi-species day. Chalk it up as a successful outing.

The twerp…
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/KevinPhanSK/NPH4.jpg

The FAT mofo…
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/KevinPhanSK/NPH2.jpg

The stalker…
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/KevinPhanSK/NPH.jpg

Troutman65
02-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Nice going out there. :Cool:

DockRat
02-21-2010, 05:48 AM
Nice Spotfin. With all the Newport Harbor Reports that is the first spotfin i've seen lately.

Never even seen or heard of a spotfin taken in SM bay. Always OC and SD and uaually in the surf. Why ?

Google ' Newport Harbor Spotties ' and FNN is the first 2 results. I thought that was pretty cool.

Results 1 - 10 of about 3,480 for spottie newport harbor. (0.32 seconds)

Search Results Newport Harbor -
Fishing in CaliforniaNewport Bay is a smaller harbor approx. 2.5 miles long and .5 mile wide in .... Good luck, let us know how you do, and please let the spotties go so I can ...
www.fishingnetwork.net/socal/newport.htm - Cached - Similar

Presidents Day Spotties 2/15Feb 16, 2010 ... Got a text from Tesserz asking if I wanted to do some spottie ... is that newport harbor? i was wondering if you could share some info if ...
fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?43226...Spotties-2... - Cached

DR

fisherman from long beach
02-21-2010, 11:11 AM
nice report,thats a nice fat sfc you got there.

bergie berg
02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
that is a nice spotfin, I have yet to catch one of those in the harbor

murrieta angler
02-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Hey calico killer kevin,
It's been a while since your last report.
Great job landing the sfc, hopefully I will get one on my first trip down there..:Wink:
That yfc wasn't to shabby either.
Thnaks for the report and pics. maybe I'll see you down there one time.
Robert

smokehound
02-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Heh thats like the average sized yfc from the harbor. Love nph.. great place to fish!

Jaysuuun
02-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Nice Spotfin that guy must have put up an awesome fight. I have yet to catch a spotfin. Maybe I need to dropshot some mussels. :LOL:

HESBROS
02-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Nice report for a 45 min session. WTG on the spotfin.

flyngby
02-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Kev,

Nice short session!

I was down on Sunday afternoon, must have missed you or you have a new spot!:Wink:

Nice work on the spotfin!:Thumbs Up:

Steve