PDA

View Full Version : Lightning trout...

JAG107
02-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Does any other socal lake stock these besides corona/sarl?

catfish 17
02-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Does any other socal lake stock these besides corona/sarl?

i doubt it.

sansou
02-20-2010, 03:38 PM
i doubt it.

Poway Lake (including Thunder), Hesperia some years, Dixon (I think 3 years ago?)...there's a few others I'm sure that have when available. It's a specialty fish that goes by different names depending on where it is purchased. Generally, you see either "Lightning" or "Thunder", but some places have another strain called "Emerald". There is a slight skin color difference between the 3.

E.A.R.G.
02-20-2010, 04:24 PM
irvine used to have them too. they were called california goldens. note that they are different than the golden trout.

I went to sea world san diego, and on display for "golden trout" they had the lightnings. liars. lol

smokehound
02-21-2010, 02:31 AM
I always laugh at these names. These trout are actually called "Palomino", they have a mutation that causes an abnormal color. Its very similar to the mutation in domestic goldfish.

Sometimes a couple of the DFG hatchery fish planted in our lakes will be palominos.

FishEye
02-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Laguna Niguel Lake had them last year; I believe they called them "emerald" trout. They were more yellow than the "lightning" strain.

FISHINGBEE
02-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Hesperia lake stocks them. So how come the meat is a pinkish orange. The meat seems to tastes much better than rainbows. Taste like steelhead. When i was living in San Diego 6 years back Poway i know did have them. Plus the steelhead. Never the less the lightnings are very pretty fish more of a goldish look with an awesome pink stripe. The thunders however were more yellowish chartreuse. They introduced them at the Fred Hall fishing show. They had two on ice whole. The other was filleted and showing the pink meat. AT first most catches were in the 3 to 8 lb range. Now they seem to be all sizes and less bigger fish. If anyone has fished Poway the clear blue water and a lightning was pretty darn cool.

FISHINGBEE

FISHINGBEE
02-21-2010, 12:32 PM
irvine used to have them too. they were called california goldens. note that they are different than the golden trout.

I went to sea world san diego, and on display for "golden trout" they had the lightnings. liars. lol I have seen those two. Used to get a year pass and go every weekend. Kids loved it. Although i have dreams of fishing the polar bear exhibit. They stock the water with trout for the bears. Seeing those fat boys through the glass brought a tear to my eye. Tried to bring a few rods and reels they would not let me in.

FISHINGBEE

Troutslayer620
02-21-2010, 02:00 PM
No Emerald were the darker green trout similar to rainbows, they did have lightning trout, caught double limits there last year with my dad.
Laguna Niguel Lake had them last year; I believe they called them "emerald" trout. They were more yellow than the "lightning" strain.

sansou
02-21-2010, 03:33 PM
I always laugh at these names. These trout are actually called "Palomino", they have a mutation that causes an abnormal color. Its very similar to the mutation in domestic goldfish.

Sometimes a couple of the DFG hatchery fish planted in our lakes will be palominos.

Disagree.

"Palomino" or better known as "Golden Trout" (nothing to do with real goldens), is just another hatchery variant, though technically they can occur very rarely in the wild just like tiger trout, as an example. You hear the name "Palomino" or "Golden trout" in the east coast where they also have plenty of put and take lakes. No different than naming one car a Toyota and another a Ford. Hatcheries sell a product, and to distinguish their product they use proprietary names. Palominos just happened to be produced a long time ago.

Same thing goes on with rainbow trout. We call them rainbow for simplicity sake, but there are tens of dozens of different quality rainbows with differing names that hatcheries give their product name & different pedigree (and thus differing resistance to disease, fighting ability, growth potential, coloration etc...).

TroutOnly
02-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Albino brown trout,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thisfool
02-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Being an armature want to be herpetologist. (That means im a reptile geek)

its quite easy they probably just selectively bread the trout for the traits there trying to enhance that’s how you can have the crappie almost all silver trout that im sure every one has seen in the market and then have the beautiful mnt Larsson rainbows or have the crazy hard fighting and jumping tail walker.

Im sure a LIGHTNING trout is no more then the result of some one playing god with color of the fish. And the high quality meat is an accident or it could even be the other way around or with a little more time invested in the selective breading both traits are what the went for.

It’s sad how easy it is to play god with that stuff. It’s almost proven in reptiles that you can produce a nearly 100% dominant trait in as little as 5 generations. And some times there are unexpected side effects like in this one bread of bearded dragons called silkies ( a normal bearded dragons is covered in larger pointer scales almost every third scale is one of these but silkies completely lack these scales and have only the smaller smooth scales) they noticed in a lot of these animals there were a set of enlarged teeth on the top jaw witch greatly resemble fangs. And that was a complete accadent

Ok im going to stop cuz if I keep going you will have read 3 hours worth of selective breading of reptiles. And im sure most of you have already stopped reading by now

DockRat
03-01-2010, 06:02 AM
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/ggiberti/goldentrout2.jpg Nice Real Trout.http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/ggiberti/Goldentrout1.jpg

27.35 golden trout Hybrid Funkadilly Freak Show ! http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo67/bamfsxehxcbriana/Frankenstien.jpg
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt305/stanleyhui28/2730inchgoldentroutrecord.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s207/catfishhunter1/IMG_0040.jpg

What next ? Green, Blue
I heard some Stoned Hippies were making Tie Dye Shirts when they dumped a 55 gallon drum of Yellow Rit Dye upstream. :LOL:
DR

sansou
03-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Hey DockRat,

We all know what everyone else can catch or pics you can find in photobucket....post up some trout pics of ones YOU caught!! :LOL:

JAG107
03-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Dockrat, that top pic sure looks like a Mt Whitney area lake, is that true? If so, WOW I'm bringin my gear next hike!

Hometown
03-01-2010, 06:34 PM
i think lake moerna in san diego use to not sure if they still do