PDA

View Full Version : Night fishing the lagoon 2-18-10

Ray Lopez
02-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Went with my buddy to the lagoon the other night for some bass'n, seeing as i did a bang up job at SARL that morning i was feeling lucky.

Got to the lake at 8:30pm started fishing near where i caught my monster a while back. I got 2 good hits but failed to set the hook since they were tapping it lightly.

Then my buddy casts out and yells out I just got a bite and then BAM fights on!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/Fishing%20Photos/kdk_0903.jpg

he lands a decent bass

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/Fishing%20Photos/kdk_0905.jpg

then we continue to fish north for not even a nibble and called it a night around 1:30am

Richard - 1
Ray - Skunk

it was cool tho because the weather was perfect, no wind slight chill, and we watched the heavy fog rolled in so much so that you could not see the lights on the other side of the lake. It was creppy but cool as all hell.

I'll be out there soon working the beach from my tube with the water full u can work that structure since it is a bit deeper now.

Ray Lopez
02-20-2010, 04:34 PM
FYI: I used to think it was a joke but i sure as hell saw with my own eyes including my buddy rich saw it to. It looked to be a beaver or an otter swimming about 15 feet from us. Freaked us both out. All the nights i have been out there and this was the first time ever seeing anything like this. It was mos def not a raccoon or a duck it was some sort of medium sized mammal.

Ambassadorhawg
02-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Probably a beaver, RayLo. They are very secretive and that big growth of reeds in the back around the corner from the big spillway could easily hide one w/o anyone knowing. It's probably got a big hut built up deep in there somewhere.

troutdog
02-20-2010, 09:03 PM
That thing scared the heck out of me one night a couple summers ago, between the that and raccoons the lagoon keeps your blood flowing at night! Hope to see you soon Ray.

TD

Ambassadorhawg
02-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Beavers are nothing! In the 80's, when I use to fish the Lagoon at night, we'd see cattle on the beach side, skunks, racoons, coyotes, rattlesnakes and even a bear once! One time, I was walking along the shore slowly, watching the water for boils when I looked down and there was a skunk at my feet!!! Luckily for me, it did not take an alarmed posture and I was simply able to slowly, carefully back away. SCARY!

CL SmooV
02-20-2010, 10:43 PM
FYI: I used to think it was a joke but i sure as hell saw with my own eyes including my buddy rich saw it to. It looked to be a beaver or an otter swimming about 15 feet from us. Freaked us both out. All the nights i have been out there and this was the first time ever seeing anything like this. It was mos def not a raccoon or a duck it was some sort of medium sized mammal.

Ive seen this goon creature as well fishing in the p.m. hours.

Its more than likely a nutria. Not a beaver. Its too small to be a beaver.

It bit my senko one night too.

Fire Ball
02-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Nice bass. I am hitting the Lagoon from my tube tomorrow.

trail blazer
02-21-2010, 01:09 AM
WTG RAYLO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,One of these nights i need to come down there and get a tutorial on goon bassin.

Ambassadorhawg
02-21-2010, 06:34 AM
Ive seen this goon creature as well fishing in the p.m. hours.

Its more than likely a nutria. Not a beaver. Its too small to be a beaver.

It bit my senko one night too.

Hello??? Nutrias can easily grow as large as the worlds larest beaver! However, I think you are correct, it probably is a Nutria. I should have considered that before. Beavers and Nutrias swim quite differently. Beavers swim slowly with slow rythmic strokes and alot of gliding or coasting. Nutrias generally swim fast with hurried strokes. I'd seen Nutrias in the Lagoon many, many times back in the 80's and never gave it a second thought.

tpfishnfool
02-21-2010, 07:12 AM
Thats nothin.. I was there one time and saw a one toothed tony fishin with a corn cob pipe and a bottle of hooch..

Fire Ball
02-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Hello??? Nutrias can easily grow as large as the worlds larest beaver! However, I think you are correct, it probably is a Nutria. I should have considered that before. Beavers and Nutrias swim quite differently. Beavers swim slowly with slow rythmic strokes and alot of gliding or coasting. Nutrias generally swim fast with hurried strokes. I'd seen Nutrias in the Lagoon many, many times back in the 80's and never gave it a second thought.

Me and Robo Bass saw something today and it definitely looked like a nutria! We got some pictures too, but they were kind of blurry.

addict
02-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I believe that their called muskrats,they live in the reed sections of the lake ,Ive seen many of them over the years ,im surprised they dont get chewed on by the bigger bass in the summer months.Definately a cool little creature.

Ray Lopez
02-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Beavers are nothing! In the 80's, when I use to fish the Lagoon at night, we'd see cattle on the beach side, skunks, racoons, coyotes, rattlesnakes and even a bear once! One time, I was walking along the shore slowly, watching the water for boils when I looked down and there was a skunk at my feet!!! Luckily for me, it did not take an alarmed posture and I was simply able to slowly, carefully back away. SCARY!

Oh hell yea night fishing the lagoon you see all sorts of animals.

I have seen the cows like 3 months ago scared the crap out of me and my buddy rich lol.

I have also been stalked by a mountain lion for about 100 feet before he broke off and ran away.

Tons of skunks, coons, snakes, coyotes, and many other animals.

No bears yet but i get enough of them at pyramid lol

after all the animals i have seen there i always tell everyone don't fish at night alone. Even tho i still do because I'm addicted to the lagoon, aka my mistress.

also Trail Blazer the night fishing is gonna get hot really soon once they move into the shallows i'll for sure hit you up when i know for sure i'm gonna put you on the bass. Also on the 20th of march i'm throwing a tube mission on the lagoon. You should come out if you got a tube and do some fishing with us.

okay enough of this babble i need to get my butt to the lagoon. Later all

look for a report later today!

Kilo818
02-22-2010, 10:00 PM
yeah its an otter they have a few running around there

CL SmooV
02-23-2010, 11:32 AM

LOL, nice comeback attempt. You say " Hello " like I said 2 + 2 equals 47 or something. Easy buddy! Most people dont even know what a Nutria is.

But...... we were both wrong on the declaration of this goon beast. Its a muskrat more than likely, not a nutria. Its is very unlikely that a nutria could survive a winter at the lagoons elevation. Muskrats can.