PDA

View Full Version : Hwy 74 River

TopwaterBassin
02-17-2010, 10:10 PM
So any1 here familiar with the river that runs adjacent to Hwy 74 in Hemet, runs down from Lake Hemet/ Idyllwild. Lots of water, and seems to be good for some Trout.

tacklejunkie
02-18-2010, 03:31 AM
Saw that a few weeks ago when going through the Ortega on my motorcycle.

I'll have to stop and look next time.

sweetfish
02-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Rumor is that there are some browns in there on the North Fork. Also, suppose to have a decent population on wild rainbows.

TopwaterBassin
02-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Sweetfish, I was up there yesterday walking the river, about a 1/4-1/2 mile each direction, and I didn't see a single fish. I was just past the ranger station about a 1/4 mile past the bridge. I may check it out farther up later on today. Would be nice to see some fish in there since it is close to home.

sweetfish
02-18-2010, 10:41 AM
I too checked it out last year around spring. I went where "strawberry creek" (I think that is the name of it) fed into San Jacinto River. When looking there, I did see some fish 1-2 inches swimming around some pools. Could not tell what species it was though.

Good luck on the adventure there.

If Skyler is still around, he has the 411 on that place, also the ranger at the station before Mountain View have some ideas too.

IE Fisher
02-20-2010, 11:50 AM
The water that comes out of Lake Hemet is the South Fork San Jacinto River. I have caught lots of browns out of there, some decent sized. Be prepared for a good hike.