PDA

View Full Version : Mike Longs Record bass??

bigfish420
02-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Ok Mike Long is a stud dont get me wrong, Im just in disbelief about that fish he caught a few years back at DVL that was 16lbs. I dont think the picture is the actual fish what do you think?

http://www.dvlake.com/images/Big_Fish_WinnerB.jpg

samgann93
02-17-2010, 02:49 PM
look at all that water...

and ya im not very good with looking at lmbs and guessing weight, but mikes a beast.

bigfish420
02-17-2010, 02:51 PM
yeah remember when it was full, crazy. Hopefully one day it gets back up there, I just was looking at some huge 15 pounders and I remember Mikes fish and man it sure looks different then other bass the same weight.

SEA ADDICTION
02-17-2010, 05:18 PM
I have always thought that his 16.5 lbr looked small but i just think its one of those " picture not doing the fish justice " deals. That records comming down soon i believe.

HuskerRod
02-17-2010, 06:20 PM
I question whether or not that is even Mike Long in that picture. That looks like Mark McGwire doesn't it? hehehehehehehehe Man, DVL looks huge all full like that. The good old days.

I figured that was a record that would get reset every year or so, but it's been a while. Looks like I need to get busy. And yet another..hehehehehehehehehe

seal
02-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Mike Long is a big ole dude. Compare fish to dude, big damn fish!

seal
02-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Oh and this is why you weight second guessers should keep your comments to yourself. Are you all expert photographers that can tell the scale of a fish compared to the angler based on just a pic?

If Mike was 5 foot tall and skinny that would be a 6 lbs..

Matt_Magnone
02-17-2010, 07:23 PM
mike long's a big dude and that fish is a donkey.

pretty snazzy photoshop job. thatd be an aweful long way out of the way to bring the boat to look out point though :LOL:

Stormcrow
02-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Guys, Mike Long is almost 6'5" I believe.

Nuff said .

Cal Bassin
02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
First of all... With all the huge toads Mike has caught over the years, do you really think he would do ANYTHING to discredit himself. The man is the "Fish Whisperer"! Secondly, he is a big guy, and the fish is not being held in the typical arms out, make my fish look bigger pose. I have known Mike long enough to know, that if he said it weighed 16, then it dame sure weighed what he said it did! Your word and your honor are all a mans got! The lake record will fall soon, just not sure to whom! I know I am working on it!

wellbilldancesays
02-18-2010, 10:51 AM
When I first saw this thread I thought the controversy was going a different route.

I don't doubt the weight of the fish at all and Mike is definetly an awesome angler..........

BUT I've heard more than once that bass wasn't caught at DVL but a lake a little father south and brought to DVL via livewell.

Now don't shoot the messenger thats just the controversy I've heard.

HOGMASTER
02-18-2010, 11:19 AM
The story I herd floating around is that he was at another lake before he cam do Diamond and that he had only fished 1 hour after lanch then landed the Lake Record. The Rumors are that he caught it at another lake and brought it to DVL.

indymusky
02-18-2010, 11:52 AM
I think that fish is def the weight it is. And he def caught that fish at diamond. Mike long is one of the best big bass fisherman that has ever lived, and hes a top notch guy who gave me all the advice i needed to start catching fish when i moved out here. You should check out some of his pictures and videos and you wouldnt have ne doubts.

seal
02-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Gee everytime I read a statement that starts out with "I HEARD", I know what follows it has to be the truth...

HuskerRod
02-18-2010, 12:35 PM
So far we have in question the weight of the fish, whether or not that is indeed Mike Long or Mark McGuire, where the bass was caught, and drum roll please..........................was he using live Trout? heheheheheheheheheheheheheehehee

Man, Im on a roll today.

By the way guys, Im gonna go ahead and volunteer my services and leadership to successful catch the next lake record. I'll keep you all posted.

HOGMASTER
02-18-2010, 01:06 PM
I think that fish is def the weight it is. And he def caught that fish at diamond. Mike long is one of the best big bass fisherman that has ever lived, and hes a top notch guy who gave me all the advice i needed to start catching fish when i moved out here. You should check out some of his pictures and videos and you wouldnt have ne doubts.

No he is not one of the best Bass Fisherman!!! He is a great Big Bass Fisherman! and if you talk to him like I did at the BA he said the only differance between him and us is TIME ON THE WATER!!! He spends more time on the water looking and finding Big Girls then Sarah Palin does writing Crib notes on her hand!!!!!!! He would get his butt kicked in tournaments!! He said that!

seal
02-18-2010, 01:36 PM
No he is not one of the best Bass Fisherman!!! He is a great Big Bass Fisherman! and if you talk to him like I did at the BA he said the only differance between him and us is TIME ON THE WATER!!! He spends more time on the water looking and finding Big Girls then Sarah Palin does writing Crib notes on her hand!!!!!!! He would get his butt kicked in tournaments!! He said that!

Only comment I have is that he does or has fished for many years in tournaments and usually with his partner are at the top or near the top anglers.

http://sdfish.com/index.php/preview/freshwater-bass-tournaments/won-bass-2008/2009/

Sarah Palin joke??????? Easy target how about he spends more time finding Big Girls than Obama does setting up teleprompters? Just having fun.

Cal Bassin
02-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Just got a text message from Mike, since he is tied up at a work convention today. This is his response word for word......

"The picture that is currently being shown on the DVL website is indeed me! The fish that is in the photo is NOT my 16 pounder, it is a picture of a 8 pounder I caught that same day. I have no idea why they used that picture, and why they photo shoped me high up on the dame. The 16 pounder, was a 31" long skinny bass, which was in an edition of Western Outdoor News."

I am in the process of searching our data base of photos for the actual 16 pounder, and when I find it, I will post it up for review!

goseango
02-18-2010, 02:08 PM
He wins TEAM Tourneys in San Diego fishing alone......

goseango
02-18-2010, 02:14 PM
yup, he sucks a t Tourneys.....:Secret:

Mike Long wins 4th consecutive tournament Print E-mail
Written by Kellen Ellis
Sunday, April 20, 2008
After taking a break from team tournament fishing to finish building his new home, Mike Long of Ramona has returned with a vengeance. Mike caught a 5 fish limit at El Capitan in the Aim Marine Sunday Series event that weighed 14.25 pounds, and earned him his fourth consecutive team tournament win. He has won two American Bass Association tournaments, and with his partner John Kerr, won the last WON Bass event in that time period.
http://sdfish.com/index.php/Freshwater-Bass-Tournaments/Aim-Marine-Sunday-Series/Mike-Long-wins-4th-consecutive-tournament.html

or

http://sdfish.com/index.php/forum/tournaments/7080-kerr-and-long-sweep-4/5-won-lake-otay-event.html

seal
02-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Just got a text message from Mike, since he is tied up at a work convention today. This is his response word for word......

"The picture that is currently being shown on the DVL website is indeed me! The fish that is in the photo is NOT my 16 pounder, it is a picture of a 8 pounder I caught that same day. I have no idea why they used that picture, and why they photo shoped me high up on the dame. The 16 pounder, was a 31" long skinny bass, which was in an edition of Western Outdoor News."

I am in the process of searching our data base of photos for the actual 16 pounder, and when I find it, I will post it up for review!

Ok now I'm really confused! That 8 lbs bass looks like a 12 lbs to me.

I guess MOST everybodys off the hook then, we'll call it a draw.

HuskerRod
02-18-2010, 03:22 PM

While your at it ask him if anyone has ever said he looked like Mark Macguire.

And your right, that 8-pounder looks like 12 pounds to me. Something is fishy hear. I think we have the first fisherman in the history of mankind actually underestimating the size of his catches....heheheheheheheheheheheheheehe

Cal Bassin
02-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Her is the actual lake record 16 pound fish he caught that day. The picture is not the greatest, but it helps!

sansou
02-18-2010, 03:30 PM

If what you are saying is true, then so much for all the replies vehemently claiming the bass in the pic is 16lbs because Mike Long is 9 foot tall etc....

:ROFL:

Stormcrow
02-18-2010, 05:35 PM
This is INDEED funny!

Since NO-ONE is actually catching fish, we now have stooped so low as to generate our drama over someone elses picture of a fish caught years ago.

Yes...Indeedy! Now THAT is funny!

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

HuskerRod
02-18-2010, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=Stormcrow;432477]This is INDEED funny!

Since NO-ONE is actually catching fish, we now have stooped so low as to generate our drama over someone elses picture of a fish caught years ago.

What would FNN be without drama???

a. just another fishing site
b. a place for guides to advertise their services
c. just another bragger board
d. all the above

seal
02-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Her is the actual lake record 16 pound fish he caught that day. The picture is not the greatest, but it helps!

That fish looks lighter than the 12 lbs., oops sorry 8 lbs., pic. I think Mike is 9 foot tall Sansou, at least from this angle.

Thisfool
02-18-2010, 08:01 PM
in the first pic one hand is just a lil higher then his sholder and the other is at about belly button hight hold your hands up like that. that is a big fish

HOGMASTER
02-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Your right Local tourneys only!!!!!!!!! Get in with the Big Boys on th Elite Series!! You think he would out Fish KVD or Ike? You guys are smoking some goood Sticky Sticky!!! Just like Dobylns he is too scared to get into it with the Big Boys!!! LOL!! I know he doesnt need to because he makes all his money off selling all the boats he wins!! But wouldnt you want to test yourself against the best on any body of water??

Stormcrow
02-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Your right Local tourneys only!!!!!!!!! Get in with the Big Boys on th Elite Series!! You think he would out Fish KVD or Ike? You guys are smoking some goood Sticky Sticky!!! Just like Dobylns he is too scared to get into it with the Big Boys!!! LOL!! I know he doesnt need to because he makes all his money off selling all the boats he wins!! But wouldnt you want to test yourself against the best on any body of water??

1. It is NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to fish the Elite Series without a serious sponsor. Considering you have to drive all over the country and fish water you may never have fished before. Even some big time pros dont bother to come out west because they know theyre gonna get smoked, and THEY HAVE BIG TIME SPONSORS! You obviously have no clue what fishing a big time series like Elite really entails. Do you really think KVD is gonna smoke Dean Rojas on his home water of Havasu? NOT!!!!!!!!

2. Hands DOWN... Any major tournament on DVL or any of the San Diego lakes, my money would be on Long or Dobyns over Ike or KVD or Skeet ANYDAY. The locals simply know these lakes better. Sorry to bust your bubble.

So, back to sticky-sticky!

HOGMASTER
02-19-2010, 08:34 AM
So, back to sticky-sticky![/QUOTE]

LOL!! Everyone back to STicky Sticky Green!!!! I know what you are saying about the home waters and Yes I do have a clue about what it takes with sponsers!! But you dont think Dobyns with all the Shiznit cash his has he could do it for 1 year then gain sponsers? But if you fallow the Elite schedule you kinda know the guys like KVD who take the southern lakes and the guys who take the west lakes but its the guys that can float around the top 20 on lakes they cant dominate on to be around at the end of the year to take the AOY that makes it fun to watch!! Ok back to Packing the Sticky!!!!!!!

bigfish420
02-19-2010, 08:43 AM
See I told you guys whats up and I was right!! Lol you guys that were talkin ish should feel pretty lame right now. Im stoked that I got this off my chest cause that pic bugs the crap outta me everytime I see it. Mike Long is the shiznit when it comes to big bass fishing no doubt but DVL should put up the real pic thats all Im saying. Mike "Maquire" Long lol too funny, he looks alot like maquire huh.

Stormcrow
02-19-2010, 08:44 AM
I love to watch that stuff. Did you see the documentary on KVD this year? Its sad to think he is away from his home and wife and kids for something like 320 days out of 365 days per year. Most of that time is spent on the road. Of course, he is completely dedicated, but Geeeeeeeez man thats a long time to be away from home.

And for BigFish...He DOES look like Marc McGwire hahahaha! Without the roids of course.

bigfish420
02-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Lol I know alot of married guys that would love to have that schedule away from the wife...lol

HOGMASTER
02-19-2010, 08:58 AM
I love to watch that stuff. Did you see the documentary on KVD this year? Its sad to think he is away from his home and wife and kids for something like 320 days out of 365 days per year. Most of that time is spent on the road. Of course, he is completely dedicated, but Geeeeeeeez man thats a long time to be away from home.

And for BigFish...He DOES look like Marc McGwire hahahaha! Without the roids of course. LOL

Results so Far for people who give a Shiznit
Bassmaster Classic 2010

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/members/basstrakk

seal
02-19-2010, 09:08 AM
All praise to bigfish420! You were right, I designate you official FNN weight judge.

I am messing around with you, but seriously I have a problem with all the second guessing that occurs on this website regarding accuracy of weight of fish and that is where I come from. A big fish should make anybody proud and then when somebody comes along and challenges the weight of an obvious prize fish it just pisses me off.

No that 10 lbs looks like a 6.5 lbs to me! Hell I would be happy with a 3 lbs most days!

By the way I still think the 1st fish looks bigger than the second fish, I guess that shows ya what I know.

HOGMASTER
02-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Yes they need to post the real Pic! Here's one caught out of Choke Canyon last week in a club tourny! What was funny is that this guy won it with 2 fish! This one and a 1.5lber! LOL
15.09lbs
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/hogmaster_G/Choke_Feb_2010_007.jpg

basser1
02-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Being a tournament angler myself, I see alot of this talk as humor. Are the Elites the best in the U.S ?, Yes. Are they the best in your home town on your home lake?, NO. But when you travel as many days as they do, fish all types on differant venues they do, your home lake doesn't matter.
Can you hook up to your boat and travel to lets say New Mexico and out fish them??? Probably not..The expierience they have in breaking down new water and locating patterns dwarfs the average LOCAL PRO on their same 5 lakes and rock piles.
Didn't Steve Kennedy come out to Clear lake and spank alot of local pro's (Greg G, Skeet, Aaron??). I think he even set a record no one out here has done....

The best anglers are versatile, they fish alot of differant ways on alot of differant lake's. You cannot compare them to locals...

Stormcrow
02-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Being a tournament angler myself, I see alot of this talk as humor. Are the Elites the best in the U.S ?, Yes. Are they the best in your home town on your home lake?, NO. But when you travel as many days as they do, fish all types on differant venues they do, your home lake doesn't matter.
Can you hook up to your boat and travel to lets say New Mexico and out fish them??? Probably not..The expierience they have in breaking down new water and locating patterns dwarfs the average LOCAL PRO on their same 5 lakes and rock piles.
Didn't Steve Kennedy come out to Clear lake and spank alot of local pro's (Greg G, Skeet, Aaron??). I think he even set a record no one out here has done....

The best anglers are versatile, they fish alot of differant ways on alot of differant lake's. You cannot compare them to locals...

Pardon my ignorance for asking a question here. Im just a budding tournament angler, not a seasoned pro like yourself. What part of this talk did you find humor? We were simply talking about how local pros stand a much better chance against the elite series anglers on their home water than on the tour. NOBODY here said the elite pros werent the best at what they do. At least I didnt read any posts like that. Soooooooo..........

bigfish420
02-19-2010, 11:57 AM

I agree 100% that the best anglers are the most versatile for sure and I would put my money on the versatile angler anyday of the week no matter how much a local guy fishes his local lake. The veterened pros know more about fishing then we could ever imagine (except for me of course lol)

HOGMASTER
02-19-2010, 12:37 PM
All fine points!! But how come no one commented on the Toad!! LOL!! Ah it looks like all the Fishing swiming in the shallows at Mission everytime I fish it!!!!! When I 1st fished that lake I thought it was a wolf pack of Carp but they ended up being LM!! Cant wait until April to hit it again!
Looks like Ike better go back to City Limits! Man he is blanking!

Stormcrow
02-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Mission ROCKS. ONe of my faves to fish. I used to be able to fish it but my friend and his wife sold their house and moved to Anaheim Hills. SUX!!!!!

HOGMASTER
02-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I use to do alot of work in So Cal unti T-Mobile put the brakes on but I still come out and fish with my Cuz he live in Temecula. His best friend's Live's in Mission! Its SICK!!!!!!! Also we had some epic Days on Canyon last year nothing under 5lbs! Sux about the Fish Kill there but I herd that it was mostly shad! Hope SO.

WormFisher
02-19-2010, 02:03 PM
It's still fishing though. Do you see even those guys yeah KVD included have bad days/tourneys. Not to many, but they have them. Like my old football coach said "they put their pants on one leg at a time too".

goseango
02-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Where you get your lame info??? 7th place

Looks like Ike better go back to City Limits! Man he is blanking!

HOGMASTER
02-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Where you get your lame info??? 7th place

The Net!! ESPN SUCKS at LIVE Coverage!!!!! Ike is the Man today!! Lets see if KVD can catch him.

FISHINGBEE
03-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Ok Mike Long is a stud dont get me wrong, Im just in disbelief about that fish he caught a few years back at DVL that was 16lbs. I dont think the picture is the actual fish what do you think?

http://www.dvlake.com/images/Big_Fish_WinnerB.jpg I can tell you a true story about Mike Long. I was fishing Sutherland opening weekend. Here comes Mike Long backs in takes off right. I was fishing in my boat 1 and 1/2 hours later he had the Sutherland Lake record bass. Diane the Park Rangers saw the fish. It was bright green like he came out of Poway or Dixon Lake. The water that year was muddy and cold and the bass were not bright green ready to spawn. I fished Poway lake every week maybe even twice or more. It was for trout. Mike Long uses a view finder in crystal clear water and supposibly he never snaggs them.I saw the pic no way all the lake rangers were pissed. They all tried for the Lake Record. Some were right under the boat dock. I believe he caught the fish just not at Sutherland. PS how come he is not a professional bass fisherman?

FISHINGBEE

FISHINGBEE

FISHINGBEE
03-18-2010, 04:04 PM
When I first saw this thread I thought the controversy was going a different route.

I don't doubt the weight of the fish at all and Mike is definetly an awesome angler..........

BUT I've heard more than once that bass wasn't caught at DVL but a lake a little father south and brought to DVL via livewell.

Now don't shoot the messenger thats just the controversy I've heard. I can prove it he does . He catches or snags them at either Poway Lake or Dixon even Miramar if its open. He did the same thing at Sutherland Lake.

seal
03-24-2010, 11:30 AM
I can prove it he does . He catches or snags them at either Poway Lake or Dixon even Miramar if its open. He did the same thing at Sutherland Lake.

Ok proof please! Nothing you have stated is proof of anything, coloration of fish equals proof???? I don't know if any of these claims are accurate but if you can prove it I'm sure that a lot of people would be interested in those claims. I also have fished Poway in past years, a lot, and seen Mike out there but he fishes many bodies of water and as stated before does pretty darn good on the local tournaments. Does he cheat everywhere and nobody catches him?

If you got the goods spill them, it's all just speculation and rumors until then.

FISHINGBEE
03-24-2010, 02:04 PM
I have givin you proof. Either you believe it or not. Coloration does wave proof especially if the water is brown and cold about 56 or so. He fished a total of 1 and a half full hours. Its not a speculation or a rumor. I spent many years on the lake to know the bass was a fraud. I could care less what others would like to know. Wow he is a local tournament guy. Seriously man if he could just pop out records everywhere why is he not a Pro. Believe what you want. I used to envy Mike Long seeing all those big bass caught at Poway. I did see the pic and no way was it from Sutherland. If they could have kept the fish for proof before it was released. That would have been done for sure.

P.S where is his fishing shows.
FISHINGBEE

goseango
03-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Only proof I see is you are an IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seal
03-24-2010, 07:09 PM
I have givin you proof. Either you believe it or not. Coloration does wave proof especially if the water is brown and cold about 56 or so. He fished a total of 1 and a half full hours. Its not a speculation or a rumor. I spent many years on the lake to know the bass was a fraud. I could care less what others would like to know. Wow he is a local tournament guy. Seriously man if he could just pop out records everywhere why is he not a Pro. Believe what you want. I used to envy Mike Long seeing all those big bass caught at Poway. I did see the pic and no way was it from Sutherland. If they could have kept the fish for proof before it was released. That would have been done for sure.

FISHINGBEE

Ok I feel much better now you have just re-stated the same argument to make your point, sure clears things up for me. Thanks a bunch!

IncredibleHuck
03-24-2010, 07:46 PM

FISHINGBEE

Who pissed in your cheerios?

Matt_Magnone
03-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Thats funny you mention that story FISHINGBEE. Back a bunch of years ago when I started in the tackle business, I too heard that same story. While I'll never spout off and say I believe it, which i don't entirely do, it always makes me wonder. there was a lady ranger i remember calling to see what all this nonsense was and all i remember was her being super pissed when i spoke to her about it. with every one angler doing well there will be 10 anglers talking about how he cheated. its been done to kyle, rick, josh, berry, siemantel etc. its nonsense really.

with a guy of his caliber, tournament fishing and trophy angling, the dude's a stick. He's an excellent angler and i definately admire his skill in finding trophy fish. the first step is to locate them. thats the heart of the battle in my opinon. he's definately done that.

i dont belong to any sides. who knows.

TUNAVIC
03-26-2010, 11:43 AM
I was there the day he caught it, believe it!
Tuna<*)))><Vic

HuskerRod
03-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Thats funny you mention that story FISHINGBEE. Back a bunch of years ago when I started in the tackle business, I too heard that same story. While I'll never spout off and say I believe it, which i don't entirely do, it always makes me wonder. there was a lady ranger i remember calling to see what all this nonsense was and all i remember was her being super pissed when i spoke to her about it. with every one angler doing well there will be 10 anglers talking about how he cheated. its been done to kyle, rick, josh, berry, siemantel etc. its nonsense really.

with a guy of his caliber, tournament fishing and trophy angling, the dude's a stick. He's an excellent angler and i definately admire his skill in finding trophy fish. the first step is to locate them. thats the heart of the battle in my opinon. he's definately done that.

i dont belong to any sides. who knows.

I can relate to what you are saying, Matt. Back when winning tournaments was common place for me, back when I had people fighting over the opportunity to endorse me, back when my phone was ringing off the hook with local tourni anglers looking for winning tips guys were very envious of me. They were constantly accusing me of cheating. Now that I've retired from competitive angling the threats, harassment, and accusation have really died down. I know what Mike L. is going through. It is very lonely at the top....hehehehehe

FISHINGBEE
03-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Her name is Diane. I used to live 8 miles from the lake. For 10 or so years i fished Sutherland. I knew all the employees and so on. I was there Fri,Sat,Sun. I happened to be fishing the day i saw Mike Long roll in. It was kind of strange to me because i never seen him at Lake Sutherland before. In the winter time i was an avid fisherman at Lake Poway. I had met Mike a time or two. I never had a beef with him at all. I had seen his View Finder and seing bass on the bottom was un-real. At this time Mike was the only View finder around. Anyways back to Sutherland. This season was very cold. On opening week at Sutherland was always a big week. Until this year i had always avg about 50 or so bass for the three days. He was fishing the rock in the Grande Mesa cove. We saw Mike my first instinct was whats he doing here. The first time i ever had seen his bass boat. He takes off to the boat dock i was thinking see even Mike Long knows when to give it up. The wind was blowing hard it was very cold so we mad it back. A large amount of people were standing at the boat dock. Mike was standing there getting a photo of the fish. A new place in the Suterland record books. Diane was pissed over and over she claimed it was not a Sutherland Bass. The fish was bright green with beautiful markings. I agreed no way was it a Sutherland Bass. The fish was in spawn mode and all of the fish at Sutherland were shivering much less spawning. The Lake was a record turd brown. It was not till two months later that they started bedding. The next day we hit a good hole for some wide open catfish still no bass to be seen. Now that my proof either you like it or you lump it. Either way i could care less. Yes you were right there was a lady who was very pissed for months to come. By the way Diane had a house just up the hill. She caught many poachers and she worked harder than anyone at the lake. When the water was low Diane put on her wading boots and helped launch boats that either wise could not do so.

FISHINGBEE

FISHINGBEE
03-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Her name is Diane. I used to live 8 miles from the lake. For 10 or so years i fished Sutherland. I knew all the employees and so on. I was there Fri,Sat,Sun. I happened to be fishing the day i saw Mike Long roll in. It was kind of strange to me because i never seen him at Lake Sutherland before. In the winter time i was an avid fisherman at Lake Poway. I had met Mike a time or two. I never had a beef with him at all. I had seen his View Finder and seing bass on the bottom was un-real. At this time Mike was the only View finder around. Anyways back to Sutherland. This season was very cold. On opening week at Sutherland was always a big week. Until this year i had always avg about 50 or so bass for the three days. He was fishing the rock in the Grande Mesa cove. We saw Mike my first instinct was whats he doing here. The first time i ever had seen his bass boat. He takes off to the boat dock i was thinking see even Mike Long knows when to give it up. The wind was blowing hard it was very cold so we mad it back. A large amount of people were standing at the boat dock. Mike was standing there getting a photo of the fish. A new place in the Sutherland record books. Diane was pissed over and over she claimed it was not a Sutherland Bass. The fish was bright green with beautiful markings. I agreed no way was it a Sutherland Bass. The fish was in spawn mode and all of the fish at Sutherland were shivering much less spawning. The Lake was a record turd brown. It was not till two months later that they started bedding. The next day we hit a good hole for some wide open catfish still no bass to be seen. Now that my proof either you like it or you lump it. Either way i could care less. Yes you were right there was a lady who was very pissed for months to come. By the way Diane had a house just up the hill. She caught many poachers and she worked harder than anyone at the lake. When the water was low Diane put on her wading boots and helped launch boats that either wise could not do so.

FISHINGBEE

If you do not mind me asking this bait shop was it in Poway? If it was you might be the guy with those killer Grub reeper sort of baits brown on the bottom red flakes.

FISHINGBEE
03-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Who pissed in your cheerios?

Sorry i do not eat Cheerios. Thanks for asking. Sorry Incredible Joke.

FISHINGBEE
03-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Ok I feel much better now you have just re-stated the same argument to make your point, sure clears things up for me. Thanks a bunch!

Im glad you feel much better glad i could help.

FISHINGBEE

Matt_Magnone
03-26-2010, 09:04 PM
damn Rod, I remember your career. little do these readers know of your fishing history. part time chip n dale at the senior center banquet line; part time prefessional rosey sided speckled bass angler. how did you manage your extensive fishing career with all those single old women throwing themselves at you? :LOL:

FISHINGBEE, your argument was damn near the same thing i recall hearing. oh well. over and done with. didnt affect me personally so im not set off by it. you're a sutherland local so i can see how it hit you harder.

HuskerRod
03-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Her name is Diane. I used to live 8 miles from the lake. For 10 or so years i fished Sutherland. I knew all the employees and so on. I was there Fri,Sat,Sun. I happened to be fishing the day i saw Mike Long roll in. It was kind of strange to me because i never seen him at Lake Sutherland before. In the winter time i was an avid fisherman at Lake Poway. I had met Mike a time or two. I never had a beef with him at all. I had seen his View Finder and seing bass on the bottom was un-real. At this time Mike was the only View finder around. Anyways back to Sutherland. This season was very cold. On opening week at Sutherland was always a big week. Until this year i had always avg about 50 or so bass for the three days. He was fishing the rock in the Grande Mesa cove. We saw Mike my first instinct was whats he doing here. The first time i ever had seen his bass boat. He takes off to the boat dock i was thinking see even Mike Long knows when to give it up. The wind was blowing hard it was very cold so we mad it back. A large amount of people were standing at the boat dock. Mike was standing there getting a photo of the fish. A new place in the Sutherland record books. Diane was pissed over and over she claimed it was not a Sutherland Bass. The fish was bright green with beautiful markings. I agreed no way was it a Sutherland Bass. The fish was in spawn mode and all of the fish at Sutherland were shivering much less spawning. The Lake was a record turd brown. It was not till two months later that they started bedding. The next day we hit a good hole for some wide open catfish still no bass to be seen. Now that my proof either you like it or you lump it. Either way i could care less. Yes you were right there was a lady who was very pissed for months to come. By the way Diane had a house just up the hill. She caught many poachers and she worked harder than anyone at the lake. When the water was low Diane put on her wading boots and helped launch boats that either wise could not do so.

FISHINGBEE

If you do not mind me asking this bait shop was it in Poway? If it was you might be the guy with those killer Grub reeper sort of baits brown on the bottom red flakes.

diane sounds like my kind of woman. Is she available?

HuskerRod
03-27-2010, 12:47 PM
damn Rod, I remember your career. little do these readers know of your fishing history. part time chip n dale at the senior center banquet line; part time prefessional rosey sided speckled bass angler. how did you manage your extensive fishing career with all those single old women throwing themselves at you? :LOL:

FISHINGBEE, your argument was damn near the same thing i recall hearing. oh well. over and done with. didnt affect me personally so im not set off by it. you're a sutherland local so i can see how it hit you harder.

Madman Matt,

Speaking of senior centers. I got a little chuckle reading the Californian last week when they talked about the guest speaker on fishing at the monthly senior angler group. None other then (drum roll please)................A free slap on the butt to anybody who can guess?

Matt_Magnone
03-27-2010, 07:30 PM
hahahahha,

dont go there buddy.

yeah, i guess i stepped right into that one!

you better be fishing knucklehead! bites wide open out there!!!

FISHINGBEE
03-29-2010, 05:06 PM

FISHINGBEE, your argument was damn near the same thing i recall hearing. oh well. over and done with. didnt affect me personally so im not set off by it. you're a sutherland local so i can see how it hit you harder. Was a Sutherland local! Im now stuck in the High Desert. Thanks for backing my story i do appreciate it. Your right it did affect me and a lot of locals. Did you fish the lake often? At first i thougt i knew you. Can you reveil your bait shop location? I may have met you trying to put togethe ra face thats all.Sorry to all that i afended.

FISHINGBEE

Matt_Magnone
03-29-2010, 09:25 PM
i put sutherland in the routine for a lot of years before DVL was built then i focused mostly on it. most people dont get to hear the stories you hear in a tackleshop or from on the water info therefore its impossible to try and argue a point across to them. almost 100% of the time you'll get guys defending something in which they truly know nothing about. its cool though. water under the bridge.
i got my start working for a tackle shop called Boss Bait and Tackle. The Boss chain went bankrupt and sold to a customer of mine which started Baja Vinnies Bait and Tackle. I managed Baja Vinnies for a while then sold to Bluewater Tackle and San Diego Fly Shop. I managed the Bluewater shop then due to personal reasons quit and made the jump to Last Chance Bait and Tackle.

i wouldnt appologize dude. being that this is a public forum you're entitled to speak your mind. itd be a sad place if we had to feel bad about how we speak what we feel. its scary you knew so much of that story. I wonder if I've met you before.

FISHINGBEE
03-30-2010, 10:59 PM
i put sutherland in the routine for a lot of years before DVL was built then i focused mostly on it. most people dont get to hear the stories you hear in a tackleshop or from on the water info therefore its impossible to try and argue a point across to them. almost 100% of the time you'll get guys defending something in which they truly know nothing about. its cool though. water under the bridge.
i got my start working for a tackle shop called Boss Bait and Tackle. The Boss chain went bankrupt and sold to a customer of mine which started Baja Vinnies Bait and Tackle. I managed Baja Vinnies for a while then sold to Bluewater Tackle and San Diego Fly Shop. I managed the Bluewater shop then due to personal reasons quit and made the jump to Last Chance Bait and Tackle.

i wouldnt appologize dude. being that this is a public forum you're entitled to speak your mind. itd be a sad place if we had to feel bad about how we speak what we feel. its scary you knew so much of that story. I wonder if I've met you before. Yah i remember Boss and Blue water tackle. I was impressed with the quality gear. I found some awesome baits for the bay. Including jigging spoons to plastics. Thanks for the info. I lived next to the Boss at BALBOA! I also have been to the one of the 78. I bought many rods and reels from you guys. I loved fishing Sutherland even better when the lake had water. Believe it or not i have been around. Fished Ocean bays rivers lakes etc. I spent my first 15 years fishing No Cal. The Sf Bay and so on. I have done several bay bass tournaments and placed 11 th one season my PB. I do not really care if nobody believes me. I always tell the truth. What proof some people what i do not know. The two that for sure know if the Sutherland bass was for real. One Mike Long two God. I was one of the dudes who saw the fish. I told my story. I do not care how good you are though. A record bass in an hour and a half though. All the people who support Mike thinking im just another none believer. The people i was appoligizing to are the ones who do it legit. The ones that do not deserve a bad rap. Anways never got a chance to hit up DVL mind if i Pm you some time if i get to fish the lake. Could always use some good knowledge.

FISHINGBEE