PDA

View Full Version : Hotspot Fins???

BBL2Baja
07-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Alright guys, I'm getting a float tube this weekend!
So..
I need fins.

Who is the FNN'r who sells HotSpot fins? I did a Google search and I refuse to go to a Turner's Outdoor to get them (bad experiences).

Also, any alternative fins I should know about, or is it a no-brainer about the Hot Spots?

Thanks,
Scott

one_leg
07-11-2007, 01:21 PM
I think you want to talk to Fat Albert.

One_Leg

sonarbp
07-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey BBL2Baja,

I know pretty much everyone who float tubes on here swear by the hotspots but I could not justify spending $80+ bucks on a pair of fins.... :shock: I got these and they work great and are very confy!!!!

VERY FAST AND LIGHT!!!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/sonarbp/adult_shredftf.jpg

Might want to give them a thought!!!!

Here is the link!!

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Shredd ... B000EM2S04 (http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Divers-Shredder-Float-Tube/dp/B000EM2S04)

sonarbp

socalfishing
07-11-2007, 11:14 PM
depending on where you live. There is a bait and tackle shop in Temecula with some awsome prices. Hot shot fins are only $49.00, Kencore rods are dirt cheap. I won't post the name, email me and I will give you the skoop.

BBL2Baja
07-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Those Shredder fins look sweet! Amazon didn't state if they float or not. I'm assuming they don't? Not really concerned since it has a tether system, but it's a nice feature anyhoo...

And Socalfishing, Temecula is a bit far for me. When I add gas in to get there, I'm no longer saving money. :wink: Thanks for the hook-up though!

Later,
Scott

Mase
07-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I've been trying to pick up a pair too. I think the hotspot fins are only distributed to local retailers in the LA/IE/OC/SD areas...no online dealers.

I'm up in the high desert and the closest retailer is over 2hrs away. I'm gonna have to wait til my next trip down to see family in SD before I pick some up.

sonarbp
07-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Mase,

If you are really set on getting the hotspot you can call the Turners outdoorsman nearest you and they might be able to ship them to you but then you have to add shipping on top of the $80 price tag!!!!

I'm telling you the shredders are pretty sweet!!!!

Fat Albert
07-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Alright here are my 2 cents about the Shredders. They are a 2 or 3 shot fin, which means in time the bonding will give and they will fall apart. it happens to all plastic fins that are more than one piece. The plastic will last forever but will not bond together well. Trust me I own one of the biggest fin manufacturing companies in Ca. The HotSpots are made of rubber and are designed for tubing. The split fin on the other fin is great for diving or snorkeling, but not as good for tubing. Also HotSpots are made of marine grade components, which means using them in salt water is not a problem. Being as small as they look the thrust will not be as good as the effort you are putting. as far as them floating i really doubt it. They look great, but to me performance is what your'e paying for. But it's really a personal preference. And if you think 80.00 bucks is alot for fins, I'd hate to see your tackle or tube...lol I'd take a pair of Viper surfing Fins over those Shredders anyday.

joe man
07-13-2007, 09:20 AM
BBL I had to check out your location and I don't believe you, Hows the weather?

sonarbp
07-13-2007, 09:33 AM
They look great, but to me performance is what your'e paying for. But it's really a personal preference. Very true!!

And if you think 80.00 bucks is alot for fins, I'd hate to see your tackle or tube...lol I'd take a pair of Viper surfing Fins over those Shredders anyday. :shock: :rofl:

Hey Fat Albert,

There is no doubt that you make a quality pair of fins. I have a tought time getting my wife to allow me to buy any type of tackle anymore...she complains that I have thousands and thousands of $$$ in fishing gear...which is true!!!! that is why I said $80 bucks seems like alot for a pair of fins...nothing against you or your product. I have many pairs of fins in my arsenal...mostly cheaper fins you can find for under $20...but my tubin fins are the shredders cause they cost less.

If you could recommend somewhere other than Turners to get them more guys on the board might get them....Turners has seemed to go down hill the last couple of years in quality service and the prices seem to rise more and more.....

sonarbp

BBL2Baja
07-13-2007, 10:21 AM
BBL I had to check out your location and I don't believe you, Hows the weather?

You don't believe my location? :)
Weather's nice and sunny.

If you could recommend somewhere other than Turners to get them more guys on the board might get them....Turners has seemed to go down hill the last couple of years in quality service and the prices seem to rise more and more.....

I totally agree. Myself and the guys I fish with won't shop at Turner's for a myriad of reasons. Lack of customer service (in all of it's facets) is the number one reason. After BPS opens up, I can easily see Turner's going the way of the dinosaur.

That said, any chance of a mail order form on the Hotspots website? 8) :wink:

Later,
Scott

sonarbp
07-13-2007, 10:43 AM
I totally agree. Myself and the guys I fish with won't shop at Turner's for a myriad of reasons. Lack of customer service (in all of it's facets) is the number one reason. After BPS opens up, I can easily see Turner's going the way of the dinosaur.

Yeah, my father-in-law and brother-in-law both worked at the Turner's in Orange...they were both there about 5 years and everything was great!!!!! Killer deals on tackle and everyone there knew there stuff about the products and fishing.....when Turner's sold to the new company they came in and made some bad changes and treated the staff like crap...so all the knowledgable staff left, now Turner's has people in there that really are not qualified to give advice and tips on anything!!!! Turners use to be a great store!!!! NO MORE!!! BPS will put them out of business fore sure!!!

sonarbp

reckless_m@
07-14-2007, 01:27 AM
I'd take a pair of Viper surfing Fins over those Shredders anyday.

Honestly, I just returned my Hotspots back to Turners and have been using my Vipers since. For some reason I couldnt get the Hotspots to fit right, and they just didnt feel right. I was able to get up and going easier with the vipers, maneuver easily, and kick through the wind at Perris easily. Plus they float too! Maybe its my years bodyboarding and im just used to the vipers. I went through 5 pairs of fins bodyboarding until I got the vipers, its been over 6 years and I havent even bothered trying a different bodyboard fin.

BTW - So far ive tried: churchill makapus, some random dive fins, vipers, and hotspots. Looks like the shredders are next on my list. I honestly dont think theyll fall apart too easily unless I beat the crap out of em. They have a 2 year warranty as well if need be.

reckless_m@
07-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Oh yeah....whats with the Hotspot logo? Looks EXACTLY like the Viper logo....any relation? Just curious...

http://www.hub360.com/images/1234587940_1.gif

http://hotspotfins.com/graphics/entrance.jpg

sullyfish
07-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Are you wearing a boot or bare foot with the hotspots???

reckless_m@
07-14-2007, 02:51 PM
I had some fin socks on with the hotspots.

BBL2Baja
07-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Ha! Didn't mean to start such a stink.
I think I will see what BPS has to offer this next weekend before I buy anything online regarding fins and waders. I got my tube yesterday (Caddis Navigator II) and I'm going to the hardware store to pick up some PVC for custom rod holders.

I plan on attaching a small fishfinder to it (I have a Garmin laying around) and expanding some of it's storage with some PVC like some of the custom rigs that I've seen on here. Anyone have a good recommendation on a reliable small battery setup for electronics?

Anyhoo, can't wait to hit the water with this thing. I just haven't decided where my maiden voyage will be. I've thought about my home lake (BBL), Silverwood or really doin' it in style and hitting the salt. 8)

Later,
Scott

sonarbp
07-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Hey BBL2Baja,

About what type of battery to use here is a link for you to check out...

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/i ... TERY_.html (http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/GC-1270/160/12V_7AH_LEAD_ACID_BATTERY_.html)

This is about all you need to power you fishfinder for a whole day of fishing.....make sure you get a sealed battery either gel or lead and a trickle charger to charge it.

About you maiden voyage I am always up to hit the salt in Newport....let me know if you want to every tube the bay!

sonarbp