PDA

View Full Version : Hell Hole Help.

waterdog65
02-16-2010, 09:01 PM
I am new to this board and want to start by saying hello to everyone. I have wanted to take a trip to Hell Hole Res. for a few years now and I believe I may be able to swing it soon. Has anyone out there fished this water before? If so do you have any helpful info. you might want to share? Mostly I want to know when is the best time of year, my guess would be right now. If there is any spot on the lake that might be a better place to target first, that would also be good to know. I have fished for and landed Browns but never Makinaw.

Fisherman57
02-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Welcome to the board!

Hell Hole Reservoir is located in Placer County and is part of the El Dorado National Forest. From Sacramento, take I-80 East to the city of Auburn. Exit on High St and go East. Turns into El Dorado St. Turn Right on Coloma and then Left of Georgetown Rd. Continue 12 miles to Main / Wentworth Springs Rd. and turn Left. Continue 22 miles to Eleven Pines Rd. and turn Left. Travel 20 miles to the town of Goggins. Turns into Hell Hole Rd. Continue 10 miles to the lake. This is a steep and winding road, plan on extra travel time to get here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Hole_Reservoir

General Info:
The lake consists of 1,300 surface acres and 15 miles of shoreline. There are limited campsites at the lake with more available at nearby Big Meadows Campsite. For more information contact: El Dorado National Forest, District office, (916) 333-4312.

Boating Info:
There is a public boat launch available.

Fishing Info: Kokanee salmon, rainbow, brown and lake trout are found here. This lake is fed by the Rubicon River, making it some prime trouting waters. The crystal clear water and canyon walls make for nice scenery as well.

Comments and Tips:
Don't plan on staying on the lake when the wind comes up. The treacherous cross winds will keep you trapped in the back of the lake and the slick granite sides don't offer any safety.

Good luck!