PDA

View Full Version : Castaic, Bait-N-Wait on President's Day

fishinone
02-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Maimon, Matt and I went to Castaic on President's Day.

The plan was to bait and wait in 80 to 100 ft of water. We set up down by the big orange buoy at the buoy line and had fish right under us but didn't get any bites in a little over an hour.

We pulled up stakes and started looking for active fish. We saw fish in a couple of spots. The first ones we found were just out from some shore fishermen and we didn't stop on them. There were a few small fish in a couple spots and we passed on them, too.

While we were heading out a point to the anticipated depth we saw what looked like active fish between 35 and 50 ft. After doing a couple circles checking them out they hadn't given up the spot so we set up on them. On the first set we were up at the higher end between 35 - 40 ft and didn't see any larger ones so we reset. I think we finally settled on the third set. We were at + - 45 ft. and it wasn't long before Maimon started catching while Matt and I netted fish for him.

Here's Maimon with a couple fish at the end of the day.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/2-15-10/0215101638.jpg

He got 3 pretty quick then we all missed fish for a while. We burned through 2 bags of anchovies before I caught one on the last piece. We pulled up stakes and went up and got some more anchovies at the Boat Ramp.

We found a big school over near the boat ramp in the 35 -50 ft range and missed setting the anchor a couple times. The fish abandoned the spot after we pulled the anchor through them and we went looking elsewhere.

We found a school out on C-Point, in the 35 - 50 ft range again. We set up on them and they moved out from under us not long after we got our bait in them. We found them again while we were pulling the anchor, set up on the spot and they had already moved.

We went back to the spot that had produced the fish, set up up in a couple tries at anchoring and had a slow pick on them for the rest of the day.

We ended our day at 4:00pm. The final tally was 11 fish. Maimon caught 6 and I caught 5. We tied for big fish at 2 lb 10 oz.

Here's a fish well shot through one of the hatches.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/2-15-10/0215101638a.jpg

The fish were really picky yesterday. One time Matt had a bait suspended at 24 ft. I saw a fish make a rapid move up 10 ft to his bait on the fish finder. I got all excited and started telling him to grab his pole. The fish hung at his bait for a couple seconds then went back down 10 ft., hung there for a few seconds and went back up to his bait. There was no evidence that the fish actually touched Matt's bait. A few seconds later while the fish was descending again, I was showing Matt what had been happening on the fish finder and the fish slowed his descent at my bait and I felt a tap. We were on, but that's pretty picky.

They would crush the bait and spit it out before we could react. I think we would have been much less fortunate if we hadn't had the best bait we could find.

We had some nice sardines too but the fish wanted anchovies.

marzocchi
02-17-2010, 03:55 AM
Nice fishies. I am going to try the shallower waterline next time. I got a few shallower last time too. Guess they are moving up with the warmer weather.

fishinone
02-17-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure about the depth. I found them at the same depth in a few places.

The one thing that seems like a great indicator is when I see them moving vertically on the fish finder. If I see a school and one or two are moving vertically I generally catch some there.

TroutOnly
02-17-2010, 10:09 AM
GOOD JOB RON, YOU NEED SOME ANCHOVIE SCENT YOU CAN DIP THE DINES IN,OR MAYBE SOME SQUID,,,,,,,,,,,,I LIKE CRAWLERS DIPPED IN THE ANCHOVIE SAUCE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
02-17-2010, 10:21 AM
GOOD JOB RON, YOU NEED SOME ANCHOVIE SCENT YOU CAN DIP THE DINES IN,OR MAYBE SOME SQUID,,,,,,,,,,,,I LIKE CRAWLERS DIPPED IN THE ANCHOVIE SAUCE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,

Thanks TO,

I'll give that a try. Dines dipped in anchovie sauce I hadn't thought of that.:Smile:

If it catches fish I'm all for it.

kpn
02-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Good job out there Ron.

KPN.

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-17-2010, 05:35 PM
the bites been a bit tough...glad you got on some action...

I was out there for a little while saturday and it was real tough to get them to go...they were out there but uncoroporative...

I landed a few bit real slow action as well...the fish were staging up but wouldn't click on..
Congrats on th catches...way ta go

toolie25
02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
I disagree, the bite has been awesome for me on the shore tip. Went out Saturday am and got 3 stripers (2 3lbrs, 1 4lbr) and one 2.5lb largemouth. Went out again on Monday and ripped em. 5lb striper first cast and also caught a 7,6 and 4 lbr. One 3lb largie to finish off the day. All fish caught before 8:30 am ALL caught on flylined 4" zoom flukes on a EWG hook. All fish released. The bite is on fire in my opinion. Just gotta know what they're biting and where they are. I never fish from a boat and ALWAYS have luck from shore.

gletemfeelsteelgary
02-17-2010, 06:02 PM
I disagree, the bite has been awesome for me on the shore tip. Went out Saturday am and got 3 stripers (2 3lbrs, 1 4lbr) and one 2.5lb largemouth. Went out again on Monday and ripped em. 5lb striper first cast and also caught a 7,6 and 4 lbr. One 3lb largie to finish off the day. All fish caught before 8:30 am ALL caught on flylined 4" zoom flukes on a EWG hook. All fish released. The bite is on fire in my opinion. Just gotta know what they're biting and where they are. I never fish from a boat and ALWAYS have luck from shore.
Sounds like you did well,sweet, very nice...but it's far from on fire...on fire is a 30-50 fish day at Castaic..

toolie25
02-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Sounds like you did well,sweet, very nice...but it's far from on fire...on fire is a 30-50 fish day at Castaic..

Alright, you got me Gary. Not on fire, but decent compared to most of the reports out there now, esp from shore. Plus, for only 2 hours of fishing, not bad.

toolie25
02-17-2010, 06:33 PM

Alright, you got me Gary. Not on fire, but decent compared to most of the reports out there now, esp from shore. Plus, for only 2 hours of fishing, not bad.

fishinone
02-18-2010, 10:06 AM

Toolie,

That sounds like pretty good fishing to me but I would n't call it on fire either. Feel free to PM me the spot though.