PDA

View Full Version : Salton sea?

bassmaster5529
02-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Does the salton sea have good fishing during the summer and where exactly is it?

Boda11
02-15-2010, 10:43 PM
I've never fished it but I think its just got tilapia in there. I could be wrong though. I just know its too far away and smells there. lol You take the 10 out passed palm desert to the 86 and it takes you right to the lake.

boxl0bster
02-16-2010, 01:49 AM
the tilapia are all thats left. should be pretty easy to get a cooler full in a few hours or less. do a search on the forum and you'll find where to fish. the salton sea is HUGE something like 35 miles long how can you NOT find it? :Razz:

DockRat
02-16-2010, 06:25 AM
the tilapia are all thats left. should be pretty easy to get a cooler full in a few hours or less. do a search on the forum and you'll find where to fish. the salton sea is HUGE something like 35 miles long how can you NOT find it? :Razz:

Are you serious ? get a cooler full in a few hours or less

The Salton Sea is fed by The New River which is the MOST CONTAMINATED RIVER IN THE USA.

READ the channel contains a stew of about 100 contaminants: volatile organic compounds, heavy metals (including selenium, uranium, arsenic and mercury), and pesticides (including DDT) and PCBs. The waterway also holds the pathogens that cause tuberculosis, encephalitis, polio, cholera, hepatitis and typhoid

Due to high selenium levels, the public was strictly advised to limit fish consumption from the Salton Sea in 1986, after which any amount was likely a health risk

Pollution
The New River’s flow is composed of waste from agricultural and chemical runoff from the farm industry irrigation in the U.S. (18.4%) and Mexico (51.2%), sewage from Mexicali (29%), and manufacturing plants operating in Mexico (1.4%). By the time the New River crosses the U.S./Mexico border near Calexico, California, the channel contains a stew of about 100 contaminants: volatile organic compounds, heavy metals (including selenium, uranium, arsenic and mercury), and pesticides (including DDT) and PCBs. The waterway also holds the pathogens that cause tuberculosis, encephalitis, polio, cholera, hepatitis and typhoid; levels for many of these contaminants are in violation of United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Cal/EPA standards by several hundredfold.[2] Fecal coliform bacteria are at levels of 100,000 to 16 million colonies per milliliter at the border checkpoint (possibly more, as this is the measuring capacity threshold), far above the U.S.-Mexico treaty limit of 240 colonies.[3][4]

The combined effects of increasing, highly polluted inflow from the New River and agricultural runoff have resulted in elevated bacterial levels and large algal blooms in the Salton Sea. With the lack of an outlet, salinity has increased by approximately 1% per year. Due to high selenium levels, the public was strictly advised to limit fish consumption from the Salton Sea in 1986, after which any amount was likely a health risk. Increasing water temperature, salinity and bacterial levels led to massive fish die-offs (1992, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2006, 2008), and created the ideal breeding grounds for avian botulism, cholera and Newcastle disease, which also led to massive avian epizootics from 1992-2008. Currently, the Salton Sea has a salinity of 4.4% (4.4 parts per 100), making it saltier than ocean water (3.5% for Pacific), and many species of fish are no longer able to reproduce or survive in the Salton Sea. It is now believed the tilapia may be the only fish species able to persist there for a limited time. Without restoration actions, the sea will likely increase in toxicity, and remain an ecological trap for avian species.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_River_(Mexico_%E2%80%93_United_States)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/BethWood01/Salton%20Sea/RP_SALTON_SEA_BOMBAY.jpg

Imperial County is the poorest county in California. The pic above is Bombay Beach when I was working there for 3 1/2 years on a hospital in Brawley and a Geo - Thermal power plant next to the Sea a co-worker offered me a house in Bombay Beach.
The deal was all I had to do is pay the back taxes $3500. 1/2 the town was boarded up with grafitti. Worthless, Beyond Ghetto.
I did buy 5 houses in Brawley on 2 lots for $45,000 and turned them 2 years later for ZERO Profit in 1999.

DR

Stephen
02-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Typhoid Mary wouldn't touch anything coming out of the Salton Sea!

Before you even THINK about fishing there, PLEASE check out this clip.
Originally aired on PBS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW-B1oAK1fM

Do yourself and your family a favor ....

EL_CHIDO
02-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Yeah man, no reason to go by there unless you're headed for Glamis or the Mexican border.

Jimbow
02-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Sad Sad Sad!!! This was one of the best sport fisheries in California or the country for that matter. A number of years ago we were catching limits of Orange Mouth Corvina 10 to 20 pounds at the Salton Sea in a couple of hours. Some of my fondest memories with my father came from fishing trips to the Salton Sea. What a shame.

fisherman from long beach
02-16-2010, 04:43 PM
glamis ,lets roll i'll put my sand tires on the ltr450.lol

boxl0bster
02-17-2010, 12:44 AM
Are you serious ? get a cooler full in a few hours or less

DR

yeah im serious. if you took the time to check past reports thats what quite a few board members did. i never did. nor will i ever. i also didnt say eat as many or any of those nasty things as you'd like either. im just referencing past information/reports that i've read.

smokehound
02-17-2010, 02:29 PM
stupid corporate whores, and crooked politicians. if they just managed this damn place, it would be an awesome wonderful place to fish. But alas, our country seeks profit over all. No matter how much they damage the planet...

DockRat
02-17-2010, 07:00 PM
yeah im serious. if you took the time to check past reports thats what quite a few board members did. i never did. nor will i ever.

Just a health warning. That video is nasty, with the pump trucks dumping loads of human septic waste.:Shocked:
Some guys down there say there is some big flathead cats in the Alamo river. Seen some guys fishing a bridge on the Alamo.

All those farms down there have have fresh Colorado River water canals. Due to the high salt content most all the farms have drain pipes like that are 4" to 6" PVC x 300' to 600' with holes at a downward angle so when they irrigate the water drains down and keeps the salt levels down.

Those drain pipes are about 20' apart and they drain into drain canals. Most all the farms have dirt drain canals that flow into the New River and Alamo River then the sea. :Shocked:

Most of the drain water has salt, pesticides, and fertilizers.:Shocked:

The good fishing down there is on the freshwater canals. Even the small 6' wide canals have cats. Best to fish near the gates.

From the Colorado River you have The All American Canal that splits into The North Highline canal, Central Main canal, and a big west side canal and hundreds of small farm canals.

Good bass and cats and stripers in the All American.
Also they have big white grass eating carp that are 'no take, protected' planted by the Imperial Irrigation District.

All American Canal.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af31/ronivelron/DSC03032.jpg

Dead Tilapia on the sea.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/chaoseeker/Ethnography%20Field%20trip/IMG_1906.jpg
DR

Fish Dog
02-17-2010, 08:28 PM
stupid corporate whores, and crooked politicians. if they just managed this damn place, it would be an awesome wonderful place to fish. But alas, our country seeks profit over all. No matter how much they damage the planet...

Yes, they are contributors but...

Pollution
The New River’s flow is composed of waste from agricultural and chemical runoff from the farm industry irrigation in the U.S. (18.4%) and Mexico (51.2%), sewage from Mexicali (29%), and manufacturing plants operating in Mexico (1.4%). By the time the New River crosses the U.S./Mexico border near Calexico, California, the channel contains a stew of about 100 contaminants: volatile organic compounds, heavy metals (including selenium, uranium, arsenic and mercury), and pesticides (including DDT) and PCBs. The waterway also holds the pathogens that cause tuberculosis, encephalitis, polio, cholera, hepatitis and typhoid; levels for many of these contaminants are in violation of United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Cal/EPA standards by several hundredfold.[2] Fecal coliform bacteria are at levels of 100,000 to 16 million colonies per milliliter at the border checkpoint (possibly more, as this is the measuring capacity threshold), far above the U.S.-Mexico treaty limit of 240 colonies.[3][4]

...ah, there's your problem....

Fishbones
02-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Ive fished the alamo and all american ...caught a 20lb flathead on deadbait at night off the bridges
Ive heard those dams have the 6' man eaters below them...

Oz
02-18-2010, 12:21 AM
the corvina arent there any due to tha salt to water ratio. has nothing to do with all the poluted water talk. your best bet is to fish the canals as people have been talking about. one of my friends uncle moved down around the salton sea area. kills the tilapia and kitties there every year.

smokehound
02-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Oz is right, we all know how croakers thrive in polluted water ;)

bergie berg
02-19-2010, 12:52 PM
yea i would never eat anything out of the salton sea... all of the coachella valley pesticides, fertilizer, etc. drain into there. However, about 10 years ago my dad and his buddy took us down there and we caught 10-15 pound corvina all day long on the kayaks. It was a blast.

Ifishtoolittle
02-21-2010, 01:03 AM
You are absoulutely right about the Corvina not surviving in salty water because that was what killed them. Fish can always adapt to pollutants, but if there is too much salt then there is no Oxygen and thus death for fish.