PDA

View Full Version : We have a star amoungst us....

Pete Marino
02-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Let me explain...

About a month ago I was selling some Powell and Rogue Rods here on FNN.
I recieved a PM from a guy with the screen name "BassinChef". He mentioned to me that he was interested in buying the rods from me. He told me he lived in LA so I met him 1/2 way so he could buy the rods from me.
BassinChef told me that his name was Gabino. Me and Gabino met and talked for about 20+ mintues and he bought the rods from me. He seemed like a really nice guy who was fairly new to bass fishing. He told me he couldnt wait to get out and try out his new arsenol of rods.
Before we parted ways that day, Gabino told me that he was the Head Chef at Mortens steakhouse in Beverly Hills. He also told me that if I ever wanted to make the Drive to Beverly Hills he'd make sure the meal was on the house.
I was floored .. for two reasons.. . 1st reason was because I had just met Gabino and he was gracious enough to extend an the invitation to me to come have a 5 star meal anytime I wanted and it would be "on the house".
The 2nd reason why I was floored when he made the offer was because My wife and I are all about "GOOD" food. Going to really nice restruants is something we like to do when we can afford it..
We have been to Chef Gordon Ramseys restraunt in LA called "The London". We have been to "The Stinking Rose" in LA which is another 5 star restruant. They specialize in garlic.. Everything they make is enfused with garlic. They even serve Garlic ice cream which was the BOMB believe it or not. So basically we love everything about fine dining and really good food.
Hell we spend hours during the week nights watching Food Network and other cooking and food related shows... I personally love Hells Kitchen, which is Chef Ramseys show.
Anyways.. When Gabino told me to come out to his restraunt anytime I couldnt wait to tell my wife.

Now fast forward to two weeks ago.... I was talking to my wife and we were deciding what we were gonne do for Valentines day. Money has been kinda tight lately because of the crappy economy so me and my wife havent been getting out much lately and on top of that we havent really had much time to "Ourselves" because we have our 2 1/2 year old daughter to look after.
I told my wife that I was gonna call Gabino and take him up on his offer and that we'd have "Grandma" come over and watch our little one.
She thought that was a great Idea so I called Gabino the next day. When I spoke to gabino he was even more gracious then the first time I met him. He told me I could make a reservation for any night I wanted. So I made a reservation for this past Saturday night, the day before Valentines day.. Gabino simply said, "NO PROBLEM, we will take good care of you and your wife".
Then last Thursday night me and my wife were watching one of the food channels and a chef came on and he was going to be making a sea scollop dish... I wasnt paying attention when it came on because i was playing with my daughter but my wife asked if that was Gabino on the TV?? At the bottom of the screen it said Gabinos name and Mortens in Beverly Hills. Sure enough I look up and its Gabino... right there on my TV.. We thought that was so cool!! And it made my wife even more excited to get out to Mortens for dinner because Gabino was the real deal!!!
So saturday night rolled around and we drove out to Beverly Hills to Mortens.
From the mintue I checked in we were treated like royalty :Big Grin::Big Grin: Everybody there was VERY nice to us and they got us seating within 1 mintue. Mind you this was the busiest night of the year for them and they didnt miss a beat getting us seated. As they took us to our table they walked us by the kitchen and let us say Hello to Gabino who was extremely busy at "the pass".
They seated us and we had no less than 3 waitresses and waiters come by to make sure we had our drinks and bread. then they did a Meat presentation and explained the menu thoroughly to us. Like I said we felt like royalty!!!!

They brought us our appitizers so quickly I could'nt be more impressed... then when we were done with them our entries were soon to come...then when those were done our desserts werent far behind.
During dinner Gabino made it a point to stop what he was doing and come out into the dinig area to see us and meet my wife. The head chef leaving the kitchen to come meet customers doesnt happen to often.
It was then that we got to tell Gabino how delicious our meal was and that we couldnt thank him enough...
I also gave him my card and told him that he just earned a free guide trip any day he wanted.. it was the least i could do for him.
We just got the royal treatment at one of LA's most famous and finest restaunts and it was all on the house..

Our bill was over $200 but we didnt have to pay a dime. We just left a big tip for the waiters and left with EXTEMELY full stomachs.. Even when we were leaving the waiters and everybody else were coming up to us and asking us if we had a good time. It was crazy!!!!

That was one meal and service that we will both never forget.

If anybody wants to go to a 5 star restraunt you should check out Mortens in beverly Hills.. One of our fellow anglers (BassinChef) is the star of the show there. He is very easliy one of the best Chefs around!! You will NOT be disappointed!!!

Thank you again Gabino.. I cant wait to get you out on the water soon!!!

Pete:Cool:

Bradakas
02-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Great story, you never know who you could run into when it comes to fishing.

CAPT'N
02-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Great story Pete, I was there the 24th of January for a B-Day feast, it was awesome!

Capt'n

hakaveli
02-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Thats Gambino for u :)

fishntime
02-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Awesome story, and Im sure the food was Delicious.

Hometown
02-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Great read its nice to meet new friends IM sure gambino will have agreat guide trip 2 pros taking care of each other nice.[/I]

cappo
02-16-2010, 01:16 PM
He's a good guy and great to fish with.

fisherman from long beach
02-16-2010, 04:07 PM
nice story.to be treated like royalty.very cool of him.im sure he'll get the same in return.

Pete Marino
02-16-2010, 07:01 PM
I'll be taking him on a bass fishing trip that will be epic....

His name is GABINO not GaMbino....

Thanks guys..

boxl0bster
02-17-2010, 12:53 AM
awesome story! thanks for sharing it. :Cool:

basscat
02-17-2010, 07:58 AM
It's all about karma...nice story.

It's about what goes around, comes around.

Make sure that YOU call him up when the weather and bite's just about right. He could be very busy with the restaurant and he's got his plate full (no pun intended) from the day to day grind at work and personal life.

Just a call from you helps to remiind him that you too are for real and even if he can't make it, at least he knows you're thinking of him. I'd also make the calls every now and then until he can accept your offer.

really_drunk
02-17-2010, 07:20 PM
i've fished the salt with him a few times... great guy for sure!!

Mondo21
02-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Nice story Pete. I don't remember reading what you ordered? You made me hungry just reading about your delicious food. Cindy:Big Grin:

MAVERICK27
02-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Great story, well written. Made me stay up late to read it. Its nice to see people still do nice things for each other out there in the world!! I guess thats what Team 57 attracts....quality people.

BassinChef
03-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Pete,

Thank you for your kind words I really do appreciate it. It was a pleasure to have you and your wife come into my restaurant and have an enjoyable evening filled with some great food and some genuine hospitality, because that`s what it is all about my friend. I just found out about this post through Dana at the FHS on Sunday .I was chatting with him and he told me about what a cool post you wrote about your experience, let me just tell you I was floored by the gesture so thank you again.I would like to just thank you again for all your great advice you shared with myself and all of us on the boards.

P.S- I`ll be calling you real soon :)

BassinChef

Koshaw
03-08-2010, 08:39 AM
This is a great tribute to the quality of the people who frequent this board.

I have always believed in "what comes around goes around" and this is another fantastic example.

I am glad BassinChef got a nice set of rods and that you got a killer dinner experience for you and your wife..on their busiest day yet!

I hope more of the same continues to go on here :D It shows people out there that folks can be generous, honorable, really nice peeps, and that they can spread it on to others.

Pete Marino
03-08-2010, 09:06 AM
That was a great meal and an awesome night.

The bite is starting to fly at DVL.. If I dont hear from you in the next couple weeks ,Ill call you and put the bug in your ear to get out there with me.

Mondo... I started the night off with LOBSTER cocktail. (Just like shrip cocktail, but lobster instead), my wife started with a cup of French onion soup...and of coarse we both had bread.
Then I ordered the Bone-in Rib eye, med rare of coarse. This cut of meat was AWESOME.. It was a GIANT..24OZ. cut of meat :EyePop::EyePop:. And Gabino made sure it was cooked to PERFECTION! I also order the grilled Asparagus which was rediculously delicious with a balsamic glaze...I also added a killer holandaise sauce to it. :Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin:
My wife had the 9oz Filet Mignion with a side of steamed Brockley. The size of this Brockley was INCREDIBLE to say the least...looked like a whole head of Brockley.:Shocked:
Then we capped the perfect meal with their signiture Chocolate multon cake with ice cream. It was a chocolate cake with warm chocolate fudge on the inside. When you cut into it, the fudge poured out onto the Vanilla Ice cream..

Damn Im hungry again.........

Thank you again Gabino........

Fisherman57
03-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Was nice to see Gabino again at the Fred Hall Show yesterday....... always a great guy!

Thanks again for stopping by the TEAM 57 booth and I'll give ya a call and see you soon!

Dana