PDA

View Full Version : Tradition President's Day Mini-Report 2/15/10

Jackpot Jimmy
02-15-2010, 08:43 PM
My dad hasn't been feeling well so I got a ride from my friend Ray, and we got to the landing at about 5:20, and we were the first ones there. We were soon joined by a few other guys including Juan (cappo). We managed to get out with an extra light load with crew of Captain Anthony Le, Derrick in the galley, and John and Matt on deck. The fishing the day before was pretty good, but finesse was the key. After a drive up the coast, we set up on a spot and started fishing.

We had a steady pick on the bass for a little while with a nice mix of sculpin, but the water was a little murky and the conditions were slack. We tried another spot out in deeper water, and landed some more bass, but nothing really substantial. It was evident that things weren't going well to fish that area, so we moved on further south for a shot at some sculpin.

We started a drift at the sculpin hole, and it was pretty instantaneous. However, when we anchored up on the spot, the bite died. We had a few more drifts on the spot, and we headed inside for a shot at an afternoon bass bite.

The first spot held a few sculpin and some octopus. I don't know what it is, but the last time we fished this particular spot, the octopus were there, and there in numbers. We tried a spot further inside, and I decided to go to an extra light leadhead with strips of squid, and it paid off for a couple sculpin, a baby cabezon, and a nice sand bass.

Fishing was a bit on the slow side, but it held great potential. There are some days when you have to use finesse tactics to get a bite, and today was a great example. Jackpot went to Tradition regular Ray Mesina with a nice big sand bass, and Juan filled his quota with his favorite fish. For the day, we ended up with around 30 bass and 35 sculpin. Great times, great fishing!

Ray with a couple nice sand bass.
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/002-42.jpg

Cappo Fish for Cappo
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/003-47.jpg

victor101
02-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Sucks about the rough day out there...

Nice Sculpins Cuz...

sansou
02-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Cappo is trying to act cool, calm and collected, but we all know inside his head he's like "hellz yeah, I got the scullies, try stealin' these from my burlap bag!!" LOL !!

Good report!

JapanRon
02-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Hi JackpotJimmy,

Nice goin' on the slightly slower catchin'. Octopus ... interesting if one could catch them (as we do Sandab at the Horseshoe) first then move and go for the Lingcod. There's only one better live bait (5-inch, white Mogambo best plastic in my experince) than Sandab and that's Octopus for big lings.

Ah ... yes ... Lingcod season opens April 1st this year NOT March 1st for you Lingaleers !! :)

Thanks, and for the short version. See ...... the short version does work when multiple reports are being done is a short time span.

JapanRon

deanhall32
02-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Can't see the pictures on my computer here at work but after the vivid picture that Sansou painted- I can see Juan and his fish clearly!!

hbomb
02-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Nice report Jimmy, its good to see cappo getting his sculpis lol..nice job guys..

fisherman from long beach
02-16-2010, 09:54 AM
nice pics,sculpin are great eatin.

cappo
02-16-2010, 10:14 AM
What a tuff day. My bass skills are sure rusty. Hopefully next time they will cooperate. I'm eating good tonite though.

hbomb
02-16-2010, 10:30 AM
What a tuff day. My bass skills are sure rusty. Hopefully next time they will cooperate. I'm eating good tonite though.

Nice job on those sculpin cuz, tacos tonight lol..

murrieta angler
02-16-2010, 05:36 PM
You all got some fish, that's what matters!!
Thanks for the report and pics Jimmy.
Robert

BIG0FISH
02-18-2010, 11:21 AM
how deep were you guys?

fishking
02-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Most of these stones are in 60 to 90 feet..

lingcod sierra
02-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the report and the pics. jimmy >:( c u guys soon! :Angry:

lingcod sierra
02-19-2010, 10:57 PM
hey hariel when r we gonna go fishing together?

lingcod sierra
02-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Nice report Jimmy, its good to see cappo getting his sculpis lol..nice job guys..

Hey Hariel when r we gonna go fishing together?

ghetto dad
02-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Nice job guys

GD