PDA

View Full Version : ????????????????

FrankTheTank
04-18-2007, 04:47 PM
i want to go down to the newport harbor and rent a skiff to do some fishing. Does anymore have any information on where the honey hole is and what kinda fish would i catch in the harbor?

any information would be appreciated

Thanks

one_leg
04-18-2007, 05:02 PM
http://www.fishingnetwork.net/socal/newport.htm

DA_Beaut
04-18-2007, 08:34 PM
fish with 3-5 inch plastics, in motor oil, christmas flake, or orange belly color... good places are any dock, in front of the coast gaurd building, and the bridge to the island... Hell, anyplace with structure will be good. If your lucky with chovies, tie a dropper loop and drift all the same places.. Best of luck and post a report.

FishermanStu
04-18-2007, 09:52 PM
dont forget about the white grub. i was killing em with a white grub the other day. with the longer curly tail 3 inch

one_leg
04-19-2007, 03:28 AM
Be careful not to cut yourself on anything because if you do you might get a visit from the guy who fishes white grubs!

http://fishing-ca.com/mb1/viewtopic.php ... ight=#3264 (http://fishing-ca.com/mb1/viewtopic.php?p=3264&highlight=#3264)

Sorry about that Stu. :lol:

If you're really careful you can drift on the tidal current out near where the jettys and the shore meet. Just be prepared to move it quick in the event a sailboat is maneuvering near you. Not a good idea if you are not an experienced boater. Anchor up near the Channel Reef condos and drift an Anchovy with a 1/4 to 1/2 ounce weight. Don't expect the anchors provided to hold you too good when the current is really moving. Jigs are good along the docks near the Harbor Patrol and south of there too. Just be careful not to snag the dock lines and break em off. Boat owners hate that and so would you!

spiceguy
04-19-2007, 09:10 AM
..........try to keep a rod in the water with some cut squid on it, either with a dropper rig or C-rig. Everything in the harbor eats squid.

sonarbp
04-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Hey FrankTheTank,

Newport has tons of great fidhing spots.....like everyone has already stated try and fish the docks and structure....lots of fish around and under the boats that are tied to moorings. Also you might want to hit the pilings under any bridge or over pass....... the trick to fishing Newport is to learn what a "pressure bite" is!!!!! this will help you increase fish caught.

If you plan on going for bass :

3/8 oz jig heads - painted neon yellow
5" Berkely Gulp! Saltwater Jerk Shad natural or pearl white
3" swinnig mullet glow or pearl white

If you plan on anything else use squid........like spiceguy said "everything in the harbor eats squid."

One last thing....check the tide charts for the day you plan on going!!!! The best time to fish is 2 hours before high until 2 hours after high tide.

If you have any other questions send me a pm.

sonarbp

FrankTheTank
04-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks to everybody for the helpful tips i'll be back to post a report. If you guys see an attachment then you know i did well & if not then you know i got :skunk:'d will be out in newport harbor May 4th Friday

thanks
Frank :thumb:

sonarbp
04-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey Frank,

I was checking the tide charts for May 4th and it looks like the best fishing will be from between 8 A.M till about 2 P.M.

Just remember to cast up current and allow the bait to sink to the bottom, then reel slow trying to keep the bait in contact with the bottom.

Here is the tide chart for May 4th...hope it helps!!!!

sonarbp

FishermanStu
04-19-2007, 09:34 PM
yeah i have been known to show up and do a little p&p on anyone with a cut (pounce and pee) taught to me by none other than mr one leg himself

one_leg
04-19-2007, 09:45 PM
yeah i have been known to show up and do a little p&p on anyone with a cut (pounce and pee) taught to me by none other than mr one leg himself

Please note: FishermanStu took the online course.

FrankTheTank
04-26-2007, 05:57 PM
WOW

thanks sonarpb for the chart. oh, this will help much appreciated

i will be back with a report