PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing Help

Fire Ball
02-15-2010, 10:48 AM
It looks like a lot of places are going to have large waves, so I am looking for a place that has fishable conditons that also has fish! I don't think I can go to my normal beach since the waves are going to be too big for fishing. Any help? Also, should I get an LC or just stick to the perch today?

Bass Buddy07
02-15-2010, 09:30 PM
It looks like a lot of places are going to have large waves, so I am looking for a place that has fishable conditons that also has fish! I don't think I can go to my normal beach since the waves are going to be too big for fishing. Any help? Also, should I get an LC or just stick to the perch today?

u should go on google maps and find calm waters like in long beach, redondo beach, santa monica, and so much more
if theres rocks than the sandy beach than go there and fish, halibut loves to hang out thoughs kind of area.
if u see any trough, which u can see them when low tide comes in, fish at thoughs areas it positions the baitfish and the halibut as well.
if u find that u will catch halibut or other species.
u should buy a LC 110 flash minnow though work the best
and also get a drop shot rig with flukes, or powerbait jerkbait
get hollow belly swimbaits

Fire Ball
02-15-2010, 09:40 PM
u should go on google maps and find calm waters like in long beach, redondo beach, santa monica, and so much more
if theres rocks than the sandy beach than go there and fish, halibut loves to hang out thoughs kind of area.
if u see any trough, which u can see them when low tide comes in, fish at thoughs areas it positions the baitfish and the halibut as well.
if u find that u will catch halibut or other species.
u should buy a LC 110 flash minnow though work the best
and also get a drop shot rig with flukes, or powerbait jerkbait
get hollow belly swimbaits

Too late for the tips now. I wanted to go to Zuma, but I ended up going to Leo Carrillo because that is where the person that was driving wanted to go at the last minute... It ended up being pretty bad and I didn't do too much fishing. There were a ton of rocks and my weight would just keep getting stuck a few times every cast and come loose easily or sometimes not so easily. What kind of rocks are you talking about? Like boilers or just lots of rocks all over the bottom with patches of sand too? I was there on a falling tide and saw some nice trough and it was falling basically the whole time I was there so I wasn't able to fish those spots. Anyone else fish Leo Carrillo before and actually catch something? Waves were pretty bad too.

klymons
02-23-2010, 03:31 PM
I fished Leo Carillo last year about this time. The BSP's were biting like crazy--all the Gulp! camo worm. And they were real bruisers--from 10" to 17". The tide was high, but the wave sets were moderate. I normally fish Zuma, but that day I decided to hit Carillo. Of course, that stretch of coastline is known for its gnarly & nasty sets of post-storm surf. Under those conditions, your only catch is a limit of frustration. Give it another shot when the weather stabilizes. Good luck!

Cangler
02-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Too late for the tips now. I wanted to go to Zuma, but I ended up going to Leo Carrillo because that is where the person that was driving wanted to go at the last minute... It ended up being pretty bad and I didn't do too much fishing. There were a ton of rocks and my weight would just keep getting stuck a few times every cast and come loose easily or sometimes not so easily. What kind of rocks are you talking about? Like boilers or just lots of rocks all over the bottom with patches of sand too? I was there on a falling tide and saw some nice trough and it was falling basically the whole time I was there so I wasn't able to fish those spots. Anyone else fish Leo Carrillo before and actually catch something? Waves were pretty bad too.

CIH is nice and sheltered

Fire Ball
02-23-2010, 05:10 PM
I fished Leo Carillo last year about this time. The BSP's were biting like crazy--all the Gulp! camo worm. And they were real bruisers--from 10" to 17". The tide was high, but the wave sets were moderate. I normally fish Zuma, but that day I decided to hit Carillo. Of course, that stretch of coastline is known for its gnarly & nasty sets of post-storm surf. Under those conditions, your only catch is a limit of frustration. Give it another shot when the weather stabilizes. Good luck!

I guess I will try it again sometime. The waves were big that day and the tide was low. The camo Gulp sandworms are awesome! I hate all the rocks there!