PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's day at castaic

msos
02-14-2010, 08:35 PM
I decided to hit castaic with my brother and friend on Valentine's day. We got to the gate about 6:15 am and there was only two boats ahead of us. The weather is clear, the wind is calm of the day and there is no bite through out the day. We finally beat the skunk around 1:00PM with a big unit and followed by a few smaller one. Here is a pic from today's trip.

Fire Ball
02-14-2010, 11:16 PM
I went for a couple hours before closing, but my new anchor isn't holding well because the chain is too short, so we weren't able to do much fishing. The wind got pretty bad sometimes.

Captain Castaic
02-15-2010, 09:03 AM
I went for a couple hours before closing, but my new anchor isn't holding well because the chain is too short, so we weren't able to do much fishing. The wind got pretty bad sometimes.

Get 2 anchors with a least 125 feet of rope and youll have a better chance of sticking a spot

C.C.

Hometown
02-15-2010, 09:18 AM
I was at the lake sunday also tough fishing got the skunk.

BIG0FISH
02-15-2010, 10:54 AM
i got skunked as well. last few outing i didnt do well with cut bait so i used nightcrawlers this time but they werent even touching it. went back to the boat rental shop and got a bag of sardins but was too late. 2 boats out there fishing next to me did catch some earlier but that was about it.

fireball, i pretty much had the same problem. i lost my anchor a month ago so i bought another one with 150ft rope but it didnt do well.
one of the boat that was next to me was ready to leave and he hooked an anchor from the lake bottom and he gave it to me.
he said its better to have two anchors. anchor one to the shore then bring the boat out to your depth then throw the other one further out to better position the boat. he had 2 anchors with 400ft rope on each. (i think he got 2 limits)

Fire Ball
02-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Well, before my single anchor was working great. Then we lost it and had to get a new one. The chain is too short for the new one, so we need to buy a longer one. I have 150 ft of rope already, so that isn't a problem.

msos
02-15-2010, 11:21 AM
We have so much trouble trying to anchor the boat as well. This is kind of new experience for us. After we manage to catch one big one, the boat got moved out of our spot and we can't re-anchor the boat in the same sopt again. I'm sure we need help on how to anchor the boat properly.

marzocchi
02-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Nice large unit. I need to get me a 2nd anchor too.

Fishthewhaler
02-16-2010, 08:52 AM
nice fish!i was there in the small whaler and witnessesed another whaler in a full speed dink bite!!!. they had at least a dozen while we were there. We ended up moving and getting a solid pair of fish from the BL.., caught same time(double) and that was it for us. Its tough out there right now.

TroutOnly
02-16-2010, 11:05 AM
two anchors lots of rope a no brainer,,,,,,,,,,,if you want to sit on a spot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O

Fishnfun
02-17-2010, 07:39 AM
The rope on the rental boat anchors are way too short to anchor anywhere but the shallower areas. Good idea to bring your own rope/anchor even when fishing from a rental boat.