PDA

View Full Version : canoe on lake isabella.

thedeadone
02-14-2010, 05:49 PM
i have never been there. thinking of doing the derby next month.I have a 17 ft. canoe with a trolling motor.is this lake to windy for a canoe?

hike2fish
02-17-2010, 12:41 PM
At times it can be, I stay close to shore when I am in my float tube or such, I have been in my 14' gregor and felt some abuse.

agbluesea
02-19-2010, 12:32 PM
You should be fine in a Canoe, I've kayaked the lake quite a bit (I'll be up at the derby in a green yak). Don't forget to buy a permit for the boat, yearly is $30, I'm not sure about daily and weekend. You can get them at the marina or most shops that sell fishing tackle.

Have a few spots in mind in case the wind comes from one direction or another. Also lots of "stick ups" and semi submerged trees with the lake so low. If you're trolling, keep an eye out for those.

Sparky70
02-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Isabella can be HAIRY at times. For some strange reason during the fishing derby the weather turns nasty and the lake really gets nasty. It's a crap-shoot on that lake, either good or bad, no inbetween.....anyway good luck, hope you hit a nice day there.

Mojave River Angler
02-20-2010, 02:39 PM
I was up there last weekend, and last year for the derby. I can tell you that the wind can come up very suddenly. Look at the forecast, but don't trust it completely. That canyon can create it's own weather. Always keep your eye on the southwest end of the lake. When it turns dark (rough water) you have already waited too long to head for shore. I got beched last year at Stine Cove at 9am. This was out of the ordinary, because the wind usually doesn't kick up until between 10 and noon. Listen to the lake. It will tell you when it is time to go. Easy not to hear when you are busy fishing. Keep your phone with you and have the lake patrol phone number on speed dial (and keep a map of the lake with you so you know where you are). Not a bad idea to have a backup plan for someone to pick you up somewhere if you can't make it back to your put-in. You will totally enjoy the derby, but be aware that there will be way too many boats on the lake at the end by the dams. Wear your whistle around you neck with your license. Even though not required by law, wear your PDF if you are in a high traffic area. Stuff happens suddenly. The convergence of wake has caught me by surprise more than once there.

I'll be there too with my tandem kayak (yellow).

Oh, and if the wind comes up, that doesn't mean the fishing is over at that lake. After I beached last year I stood out in blisthering wind and caught 15 trout in 4.5 hours...not a one of them tagged. Good thing I brought my 1-3 oz sinker set. I love Izzy.

MRA

Bassnman Mike
02-20-2010, 07:05 PM
I consider Lake Isabella my home lake because I've been fishing it since 1979. While the wind can puckup it can also be calm all day, like someone said, hit or miss. The way the "Locals" do it is keep an eye on the on the sky above the dams. When you see the haze building up in the Kern river canyon, the sky behind the dams, start getting closer to shore because its gonna get windy, sometimes very quickly. Like was said, be very careful, wear your life vest but above all else, enjoy yourself. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

BassnMan Mike

thedeadone
02-20-2010, 08:29 PM
the info is great, and I appreciate your time taken to answer.I hope to come down and catch that 22k fish!!!