PDA

View Full Version : Tradition Structure Sand Bass Fishing 2/13/10

Jackpot Jimmy
02-14-2010, 03:36 PM
On Friday afternoon, I decided to try powder-coating some leadheads. I coated 16 leadheads, and most turned out really good, and some, well, not so good. You had to heat the leadhead with the torch just right to get the coating to perfection. I was eager to test the durability of the paint job the next day.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/003-46.jpg

I was also eager to test out my two new rods, a Super Seeker 809 and a Super Seeker 90M, both wrapped by Best/Chaeil Tackle in Hawthorne. They did a fantastic job and got the guides very straight. For now, I put a Torium 20 with thirty pound test on my 90M, and a Trinidad 14 with twenty-five pound test on my 809.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/001-40.jpg

Dad and I got down to Redondo early for another good day of bass fishing. We met up with our fellow Tradition regulars and shot the breeze until Morgon came up and collected everyone’s ticket stubs, and we departed King Harbor headed north. After a couple hours, we started fishing.

We had a nice downhill current with the spot off the starboard side. The key was to cast out and drag the bottom until you found the structure, and then you had to dead-stick your bait. It was evident from the start that the fish did not want the mogambo grubs, but the straight leadhead. I broke in my 90M, and it felt really good pulling a fish on those. The rod absorbs a lot of the shock of the fish’s movement, so you can really pull a fish quickly out of the stones. After a little while, the bite petered out, and we moved on to the next spot.

The next spot was also off the starboard side, with the same kind of situation as the last spot. We got all kinds of bass bites. Sometimes, the bass would sit on the bait and you would feel like you were stuck in the rock, and sometimes, they would hit the bait like a freight train. Because of the uncertainty of the bite, this led to frustration from losing fish and getting broken off. One guy lost nine fish in a row. Although it was frustrating, the spot held some really nice bass.

We fished the last spot of the day for a short time as time was running out, and we got a few triggerfish really fast, with a couple of them of nice size. That spot was very grabby, and if you didn’t react quickly, say goodnight Gracie, you were done. The spot also held some economy sized sculpin. Then, Steven turned the boat towards Redondo, and we headed on home.

It was certainly a fun day of bass fishing. I ended up with nine bass, a few sculpin, and one nice cabezon, which was released. A lot of guys did very well, and the boat ended up with about 90 or so bass. Jackpot went to Tradition regular Chuck Kelman with a nice triggerfish. Don’t forget the Tradition has the 2-for-1 special running every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and twilight trips Friday and Saturday nights. Great times, great fishing!

Author’s Aside #1: I once again apologize for the quality of most of the pictures. I am not aware if there is a smudge on the lens of the camera until I get home and upload the pictures on my computer. My goal is to bring the best in quality, so I will try my best to eliminate anything that hinders the quality of the pictures.

Author’s Aside #2: Powder coating those leadheads was a great learning experience. If you want the paint job on the leadheads to have extra durability, it is best to bake them for a while on 350 degree heat.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/001-41.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/002-41.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/003-45.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/004-33.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/005-45.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/006-32.jpg

fisherman from long beach
02-14-2010, 03:55 PM
nice repot,nice lookin bass,and trigger fish

murrieta angler
02-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Very nice report Jimmy,
How long have you been in the powder coating business? Do you plan on starting your own line of leadheads?
You are a young man, if you know the path that you want to follow, follow it with verve, and you will be successful early on in life!
Thanks for the report and the pics,
Robert

p.s. I know you saw the 51 yt report....SWEEEET!

Jackpot Jimmy
02-14-2010, 05:11 PM
nice repot,nice lookin bass,and trigger fish

Thanks! One more thing that I forgot to mention is that triggers like to bite a bait with a plastic like a mogambo, but you will get them on the straight leadhead and squid nonetheless.

Very nice report Jimmy,
How long have you been in the powder coating business? Do you plan on starting your own line of leadheads?
You are a young man, if you know the path that you want to follow, follow it with verve, and you will be successful early on in life!
Thanks for the report and the pics,
Robert

p.s. I know you saw the 51 yt report....SWEEEET!

Thanks Robert! This is my first time doing that and I wanted to try it out for myself. I have a few friends in the business of pouring leadheads, so I don't want to step on their toes. As I have said in previous reports, I get leadheads from my friend Tom who gives them to us plain, and I decided to powder coat them.

I did see that report on the yellows. I hope to see a count like that up here this summer.

Ambassadorhawg
02-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Why are people killing the triggers???

cjmedina
02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
that trigger fish looks pretty cool. Does it taste pretty good? Great report jimmy

Jackpot Jimmy
02-14-2010, 06:05 PM
that trigger fish looks pretty cool. Does it taste pretty good? Great report jimmy

Thanks! They actually taste pretty good. They make really good ceviche or if you want to pan fry them, cook them just like you would a pork chop.

JapanRon
02-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Hi JackpotJimmy,

As always great report and pics .... whatever the smudge. Glad to hear the Triggers go for plastics ONLY !! Gotta try that for sure. I'll put the Friday/Saturday evening run info in an aside as I'm sure not many folks are aware of those particular trips.

Yes, I was surprised you hadn't baked the leadheads (which I had mentioned in my own how-to) As you said ... it's 350 degrees ..........for 3/4oz heads 15 minutes minimum for larger heads a little more time. For those wondering ..... a good oven-toaster can be bought for around $5 at any Thrift shop you find. For guys local to me .......good place to find them is the thrift on South St between Downey St and Paramount blvd.

Await your next report,

JapanRon

DockRat
02-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Always a nice report. I wonder why those triggers are always up in north SM Bay ?

we departed King Harbor headed north. After a couple hours, we started fishing.

Did you go off Malibu ?

DR

Jackpot Jimmy
02-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Hi JackpotJimmy,

As always great report and pics .... whatever the smudge. Glad to hear the Triggers go for plastics ONLY !! Gotta try that for sure. I'll put the Friday/Saturday evening run info in an aside as I'm sure not many folks are aware of those particular trips.

Yes, I was surprised you hadn't baked the leadheads (which I had mentioned in my own how-to) As you said ... it's 350 degrees ..........for 3/4oz heads 15 minutes minimum for larger heads a little more time. For those wondering ..... a good oven-toaster can be bought for around $5 at any Thrift shop you find. For guys local to me .......good place to find them is the thrift on South St between Downey St and Paramount blvd.

Await your next report,

JapanRon

Thanks Ron! I'm really pulling for you to get that plastics-only trigger this year... it's bound to happen sooner or later! On the batch I did on Friday, I baked them for a shorter amount of time, and they weren't quite as durable as I like them, but I did another batch today and baked them for about a half hour, and they turned out pretty nice.

Always a nice report. I wonder why those triggers are always up in north SM Bay ? Did you go off Malibu ?

DR

Thank you! I wonder the same thing about the triggers. The heavy structure provides a good habitat for them, I guess. We fished from the lower end of Malibu to Santa Monica.

J12
02-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Jimmy. Always a pleasure to read your bass reports. Looking forward to more every week hehe.

fishking
02-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Jimmy as always it was nice fishing with you this week... Except for the part where you laughed at me for missing 9 fish in a row, that hurt.. LOL I still managed to get a limit of bass so i really cant complain.. See you next week!!!!

Jackpot Jimmy
02-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Jimmy. Always a pleasure to read your bass reports. Looking forward to more every week hehe.

Thank you Jacky, hope to fish with you soon.

Jimmy as always it was nice fishing with you this week... Except for the part where you laughed at me for missing 9 fish in a row, that hurt.. LOL I still managed to get a limit of bass so i really cant complain.. See you next week!!!!

Always a pleasure Master Bill. I think I was laughing more at how you reacted to me laughing... LOL