PDA

View Full Version : Fresh squid preparation

ART HILL
02-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Hi Everybody,

My son is returning home at this hour with an ice chest full of squid fillets that he caught tonight. Is there any special preparation that is needed for these?

Thanks,

Art

www.diamondvalleyguideservice.com

www.vaillakeguideservice.com

(951) 265-9551

boxl0bster
02-13-2010, 11:06 PM
i heard if you soak them in milk it should help. i also heard the best squid are the ones you get later in the night, as time goes on the meat gets worse...i ate one right when i got home and it was okay. but the steaks i ate a few days later tasted really sour. almost like i squeezed some lemon onto them. i suggest you keep your pieces thin and fry them up hot and quick to prevent any chewiness. hope this helps.

Fishbreath
02-14-2010, 06:20 AM
Hi, Art. Sounds like you have some good eating coming up. If the deck hands did not already do it, and they usually don't, you will need to remove the membranes on each side of the steak. When you get ready to cook them you should tenderize them with a mallett. You just want to do it enough to break up the connective tissue. It is important not to over cook them, because they will get tough if you do. So us a hot skillet and do not over crowd them. I have had good luck freezing them in vacuum bags. Here is a link to Anthony's Fish Grotto recipe. After you get the hang of it, you can use your own variations. Good luck. Larry

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/09/059326.shtml

ART HILL
02-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks Guys,

Wow, he brought home a bunch of meat. I would guess about 40 pounds. I cleaned off the ink that was stuck to them membrane, and removed that membranes from the pieces we are cooking tonight. Now the fun part, beating them with a mallet.

fisherman from long beach
02-14-2010, 12:58 PM
or you can cut into strips and applly to hook and go fishing again.lol

Fishbreath
02-14-2010, 01:45 PM
or you can cut into strips and applly to hook and go fishing again.lol

I know you are talking about saltwater, but seems like if you left the skin on and split the strips, they would make excellent trailers for jigs and spinnerbaits. They would stay on the hook and you could shape and dye them just like pork trailers.

fisherman from long beach
02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
I know you are talking about saltwater, but seems like if you left the skin on and split the strips, they would make excellent trailers for jigs and spinnerbaits. They would stay on the hook and you could shape and dye them just like pork trailers.
we have the same mind set,never mind eatin lets go fishing again!

ART HILL
02-14-2010, 04:45 PM

Larry,

Great minds think a like. I have already saved some just for that purpose.

Art

Hometown
02-14-2010, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=ART HILL;431326]Larry,

Great minds think a like. I have already saved some just for that purpose.

Art[ I LIKE THE IDEA

ART HILL
02-15-2010, 08:45 AM
The calamari was great. Flour, egg, Panko, deep fryer, and it was awesome.