PDA

View Full Version : First Time in Malibu..

murrieta angler
02-13-2010, 09:16 PM
:Cool:Well, as I posted in the rendezvous, I was heading out to Malibu for my first time ever for some surf fishing..:Neutral:

Last night I decided to ask the kids if they wanted to go and only my youngest, Tre, wanted to accompany me. I told him we would be leaving at 5:00 sharp and that I would wake him up at 4:30 and no other time...He said okay and proceeded to make some tuna sandwiches for the trip...:Razz:
4:30 rolls around and I am really tired this morning. I haven't been sleeping well since I've been working my butt off in the gym the last 8 weeks. But I get up, wake Tre, and were having some oatmeal 10 minutes later. It's 5:00 and we're out the door.I tell him the plan for the day and he says OK and he is out like a light, 10 minutes later...:Smile:
I get on the phone with Frank, my fishing buddy, and he says he will meet us at Charter House at 7:ish. Cool! We get there first and the wind is blowing at least 12-15 mph's...:Shocked:
No where in any of my favorite sites does it say strong winds for the day. Whatta Ya Gonna Do!? As we are waiting for Frank, Tre and I take out the rods and start casting. With the wind blowing so hard out to the ocean, they are causing some serious shore breaking waves. After 10 minutes I tell Tre to get back in the truck until Frank arrives, he doesn't argue..:LOL:
After 7:25 rolls around I call Frank and ask where he is at, he says he will be here in 20 minutes. Mind you, he is supposed to be the guide for this trip since he is in his backyard...:Rolls Eyes:
I make a command decision and decide to head North and we make our first stop at Ahmondson House..:???: That is where the waves were the smallest, right before Malibu Lagoon.
I give Tre the sedona 750 and tell him to target perch, bass or just about anyhting that will take the Gulp Blood Worms. I Grab my trusty Abu Garcia Revo S, throw on an LC110 in Metallic Sardine and start casting. 30 Minutes goes by and I get a call from Frank and he says he is South of us, so we head down and meet up with him. We talk shop for a little and then make out a game plan for the rest of the day.
We had decided to go just North of the Malibu Lagoon, since the waves were only 1-2 feet and crashing near the shore. I head a little South by the mouth of the river and Frank and Tre stay by the houses.
After an hour I head back by the guys and they say they didn't get a bite, I echo'd their response. I look at a fence by the first house and asked Frank if he went on the other. He said no, cause there was a sign that said not to...:EyePop: I tell him that the beach is not anyones private property and to follow me. So we walk around the fence and start throwing...:Wink:
It is now around 10:15 and no one has even gotten a bite. Tre's line keeps breaking, it's 6 lb test, and I'm wondering if line can go bad? I found it inside of a drawer in my office and it was at least 18 months old?!? I ask him if he wants my pole, he says no, I say do you want to hike back to the truck and grab the extra pole that I brought? Again, NO, he says he wants to dig in the sand and relax...:Big Grin: THAT'S MY BOY!!!!!
After half an hour goes by I finally see a bait fish jump out of the water and then a halibut follow right after it...:Rolls Eyes:
I yell at Frank to throw in the general vicinity, but nothing..:Sad:
I look up the beach, about 25 yards, and I see a rip tide starting to form. I remember what Dana had said about rip tides in one of his reports so I attack it and am rewarded with this;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/malibu10.jpg

It's not a legal, but it is my first of the year...:Cool:
It measured out at 19 inches and I was rewarded with a, :High Five: from Frank. Tre kinda came over to check it out and said, Cool. Then went back to his hole...:Smile:
The water started to get real murky at around 11:30 so Frank called it a day due to an injury in his leg...:Rolls Eyes:
Tre and I headed down to Bolsa Chica but water was crazy down there. We then proceeded to Aliso Beach, but same conditions there also. We called it quits at 4:00 and checked out the tide pools in front of the Montage Hotel for about 30 minutes and then decided to head home.
It was a beautiful day, with the temperature at 71 degrees and the water right at 60 degrees. I will for sure make it back up there again, when time allows it.

Hoped you enjoyed the report and look forward to all of yours out there,
Robert

p.s. Almost forgot. It was a pleasure meeting you Skylarjames2009, and maybe we will hook up together in the future for some fishing...:Smile:

fishshep
02-13-2010, 09:34 PM
You went from starting at Malibu to Bolsa Chica ?
Man !!! that's some determination !!!
Congrats. on the Hali !!!

cjmedina
02-13-2010, 09:43 PM
nice report robert. It's always good to get the boy or boys out fishing. Even if they get tired right away. My boys and one of my daughters gets bored and have more fun chasing the seagulls on the pier than sitting waiting for that bite

victor101
02-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Nice report Robert...there are some very fishy areas in the Bu

Fishbones
02-14-2010, 11:14 AM
NEVER GIVE UP is what always pays off for me....great job on the halibut

steelhead
02-14-2010, 12:14 PM
You covered a lot of miles on the trip, one of these days you'll get that big one. Good job

murrieta angler
02-15-2010, 08:47 AM
You went from starting at Malibu to Bolsa Chica ?
Man !!! that's some determination !!!
Congrats. on the Hali !!!

We had to head South anyways to get home. I just decided to head over the Ortegas to get home.
Thanks Fishshep

murrieta angler
02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
nice report robert. It's always good to get the boy or boys out fishing. Even if they get tired right away. My boys and one of my daughters gets bored and have more fun chasing the seagulls on the pier than sitting waiting for that bite

I remember seeing your kids that day out at Carlsbad, having fun checking out the mussels.

murrieta angler
02-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Nice report Robert...there are some very fishy areas in the Bu

Thanks Victor,
I look forward to hitting up that area again when the swell is not so high.

murrieta angler
02-15-2010, 08:50 AM
NEVER GIVE UP is what always pays off for me....great job on the halibut

Thank You Fishbones,
I never do!

murrieta angler
02-15-2010, 08:51 AM
You covered a lot of miles on the trip, one of these days you'll get that big one. Good job

Hey Steelhead,
I don't mind the miles as long as it's a beautiful day. I could easily drive up the coast for hours and not know where I'm at cause I'm looking out at the ocean most of the time.
Take Care

hbomb
02-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Nice going on the hali bro, I love the surfffff :Wink:

DockRat
02-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Good job on the 1st recon to the Bu.
DR

Jaysuuun
02-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Nice job on your first surf venture.

Wingnut
02-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Awesome job on the Flattie Robert... I'm expecting to open up one of your thread any day now and see a legal! Keep up the nice work. Haven't had much time to fish lately, but I'm itchin' to get back out there...

fish_sauce
02-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the report! I suppose conditions are still pretty tough out there, and will remain that way for at least another week on the surf! You are definitely dedicated to the sport ;)

And to answer your question, yes, old line do go bad, even if you have them stored away in a drawer for a year or so...especially the smaller and lighter test rating...it is more noticeable. That is also the reason why most fishing books will also recommend purchasing your fishing line at stores that frequently re-stock their line inventory, as it would help you to better your odds at getting the best possible condition lines. It's too bad they don't come with expiration dates!

Also something to think about is...that reel that you leave in your car or truck. Heat and light aids in the breakdown of both monofilament and flourocarbon, so i try to change them out about once or twice a year...

murrieta angler
02-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Nice going on the hali bro, I love the surfffff :Wink:

What's Up H!!!
I am absolutely loving the surf! I am slowing down a whole bunch at work so I will be out there quite a bit more. Maybe I'll see you out there.
Take It Easy,
Robert

murrieta angler
02-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Good job on the 1st recon to the Bu.
DR

Thanks DR,
There are alot of good looking spots over there. The only negative is the sun is right in your eyes when you cast out. I had on shades that day, but forgot to bring my hat.
Talk at ya later,
Robert

murrieta angler
02-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Nice job on your first surf venture.

Jaysuuun,
Actually it was my first surf venture in Malibu!? I can see how you got a little confused, I was a little tired when I reported it that night and didn't quite seperate that fact.
Thanks for the positve feed though,
Robert

murrieta angler
02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=Wingnut;431647]Awesome job on the Flattie Robert... I'm expecting to open up one of your thread any day now and see a legal! Keep up the nice work. Haven't had much time to fish lately, but I'm itchin' to get back out there...[/QUOTE

Hey Arthur,
Thanks for the read. When I got hit I knew it was a little bigger model than the last few I have hooked up to. She was a nice healthy model and I was glad to release her.
As far as you not getting out, are you at least hitting the links? With all the fishing I've been doing, I know my handicap has depreciated greatly...:Neutral:
Oh well, as long as I'm in the SUN, I'm having FUN...:Big Grin:
Look forward to your next report,
Robert

murrieta angler
02-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the report! I suppose conditions are still pretty tough out there, and will remain that way for at least another week on the surf! You are definitely dedicated to the sport ;)

And to answer your question, yes, old line do go bad, even if you have them stored away in a drawer for a year or so...especially the smaller and lighter test rating...it is more noticeable. That is also the reason why most fishing books will also recommend purchasing your fishing line at stores that frequently re-stock their line inventory, as it would help you to better your odds at getting the best possible condition lines. It's too bad they don't come with expiration dates!

Also something to think about is...that reel that you leave in your car or truck. Heat and light aids in the breakdown of both monofilament and flourocarbon, so i try to change them out about once or twice a year...

Fishsauce,
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
I had a feeling the line felt weak. But I'm still new to the surf fishing thing so I didn't know if it was my imagination or not. I have already tossed that line out and re-spooled my reel with newer line.
I never leave my rods and reels in my trucks. They are kept in my garage in their respective place holders.
Thanks Again,
Robert

Wingnut
02-16-2010, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=Wingnut;431647]Awesome job on the Flattie Robert... I'm expecting to open up one of your thread any day now and see a legal! Keep up the nice work. Haven't had much time to fish lately, but I'm itchin' to get back out there...[/QUOTE

Hey Arthur,
Thanks for the read. When I got hit I knew it was a little bigger model than the last few I have hooked up to. She was a nice healthy model and I was glad to release her.
As far as you not getting out, are you at least hitting the links? With all the fishing I've been doing, I know my handicap has depreciated greatly...:Neutral:
Oh well, as long as I'm in the SUN, I'm having FUN...:Big Grin:
Look forward to your next report,
Robert

Robert, I was once a 10 handicap... now I'm just trying to break 90. lol
Been busy with work, but I'll find some time to get back out in the surf soon...

bsp
02-16-2010, 07:13 PM
That first legal will show up soon now that winter is winding down. Spring means spawning time and the big girls will come in shallow. Malibu is definitely an area that holds some incredible fish if you put your time in. Hit it up regularly and that legal will be yours. It's good you took your son out too. It will help you guys bond once he gets older. I'm 18 and some of my friends don't have a connection with their dads, but I do with mine partly because of the time we spend fishing.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't even had the chance to hit the surf this year... lol.

murrieta angler
02-17-2010, 07:26 AM
That first legal will show up soon now that winter is winding down. Spring means spawning time and the big girls will come in shallow. Malibu is definitely an area that holds some incredible fish if you put your time in. Hit it up regularly and that legal will be yours. It's good you took your son out too. It will help you guys bond once he gets older. I'm 18 and some of my friends don't have a connection with their dads, but I do with mine partly because of the time we spend fishing.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't even had the chance to hit the surf this year... lol.

BSP,
I know I will get a legal from the surf eventually, like you said, it's just a matter of time.
I enjoy taking my kids out for different sports. I coach em in baseball, basketball, soccer. I take em fishing, golfing, shooting, camping..well you get the drift.
I just look forward to the day that they will pick up the tab...LOL
Thanks for the read,
Robert

NooB SaBass
02-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Nice Hali bro! I gotta get my 1st of the year once I get situated... Nice job though man...