PDA

View Full Version : Late report & shaking off the 2010 skunkage

GdHkSet1
02-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Late rpt and 1st 2010 reportfrom GdHkset because I have been given the holdover skunkage since the re-opening in DEC09 actually OCT08, yes if feels good to have a bow in the boat from DV. I figured I put about 64 hours of trolling in since the re-opening, and had some payoff last sunday 10feb. I'm stacking lures of different colors and sizes, and using the dreaded threaded all with the DR and/or LC, dodgers and flashers too. This one was on a chrome luhr jensen dodger and CD5. Should pick up more, i was getting discourage with trolling but now I know the fatties are not dead out there and roaming.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/GdHkSet/07feb10bowhdovr002.jpg

FishEye
02-11-2010, 05:48 PM
nice fish, full tail sure looks pretty on them trout. Living in socal, I almost forgot what a tail looks like.

TrouTracker
02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
To Vince- Great looking typical DVL holdover. Way to stay with it on the troll. It's easy to get a little discouraged, but when you pick up a beautiful holdover like that, it makes it worthwhile. I know that February is usually when they start coming out and showing. Continued good luck and thanks for showing everyone what they should be shooting for!
Barry A. Ogawa

diamondbear
02-11-2010, 08:12 PM
WAT TO GO Vince , great catch as you earned that one . see you out there in the spring . // steve

Hog Caller
02-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Beautiful fish!
Congrats and good to see your post again. Way to stick it out!

Brent

HuskerRod
02-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Way to go. Those dang holdovers got to be there somewhere. I mean, once they get a certain size the Stripers can't eat them, right???? It seems every time I drop L.C. I get L.B. after L.B. It's enough for me to want to get on K.P.

Trout 1
02-11-2010, 09:49 PM
nice fish, full tail sure looks pretty on them trout. Living in socal, I almost forgot what a tail looks like.

True that!!!!

Trout 1

GdHkSet1
02-12-2010, 08:28 AM
FNN,

T1, HOGCALLER, Db, TT, HUSKER thanks.

Tt- March and Sept are the months I remember getting quality tails. My son and I was drifting in the east end MAR of 1 year with my friend and his boys and all of a sudden we saw about 5 or 7 tails in the 20"+ range just frolicing on the surface swimmin around our boat, and my son lost a 5+ at the net too I think that was 06.

Huskerrod- pm me man, I see your a hemetnite too we can get some trollin in sometime.

T1 -thats a beast of a fish in your avatar,

Steve see you on the water man!

HuskerRod
02-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Love to "Hookset". I'll keep in touch. In the meantime, what kind of boat you got? I'll keep my eyes open for you out there. Just look for my red Husker hat.

Huskerrod

Fishbones
02-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Beautiful holdover..i was there yesterday and saw a 6Lb holdover on the scale in the office-tackle shop.

kpn
02-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Vince,
Good job with the holdover buddy! That's a beautiful fish. Did you see any striper caught?

KPN.

TroutOnly
02-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Oh god vince you killed the last one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,i got to say youre what fishing is all about, you just keep swingin till you hit the ball...........hey rod theres ten plus lbers in there,,,,,,,,,,,,,

diamondbear
02-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Hey Bob I bet those 10lbs.ers are hanging out with the brown trout , lol lol

GdHkSet1
02-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Fbones: Yep, they may be making thier precence now or correction after roaming and cutting countless hours on the water I finally ran into one. The nasty storm we had 3 weeks ago, a fella hooked up from shore on a beauty of a full tail too man it was pouing that afternoon.

Khan- Your slaying the duct with your killer lure I see, spend the gas $$ and come out to beautiful hemet! I have not hooked up on a striper, but the folks that are out there targeting the jailbirds I heard are. I actually tried trolling a AC plug slowly on the DR, @ 10' and had a bump my luck it was probably a rock.

Bob- I remember you telling me at the dock that you have to change it up if something doesnt work and they roam like wolk packs. Hope to see you and kewly getting the purple monsters, made several passes in that "corner of yours" still no joy

Off question- Could "Mackinaw" Trout species survive in DV, would it decimate the bows or other fish? Do they gorge on other fish but rainbows?

RngrAngler18
02-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Great catch and way to go on shaking off the skunk!

pwynn
02-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Late rpt and 1st 2010 reportfrom GdHkset because I have been given the holdover skunkage since the re-opening in DEC09 actually OCT08, yes if feels good to have a bow in the boat from DV. I figured I put about 64 hours of trolling in since the re-opening, and had some payoff last sunday 10feb. I'm stacking lures of different colors and sizes, and using the dreaded threaded all with the DR and/or LC, dodgers and flashers too. This one was on a chrome luhr jensen dodger and CD5. Should pick up more, i was getting discourage with trolling but now I know the fatties are not dead out there and roaming.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk51/GdHkSet/07feb10bowhdovr002.jpg

good god! you can see how much i look at this board..... nice going man!!! i will be getting out there soon. i am having so much fun at skinner with the fat stockers....

TroutOnly
02-14-2010, 10:48 AM
This time of the year they should be from the center and east of the main points,i was there at the repopening fishing for stripers and metered massive schools of shad not far from the marina, you know what that means,,,,,,,,,,find the bait and you will find the fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

TroutOnly
02-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Steve the browns that made it would be bigger than you think and mainly feeding at night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

P.A.W.
02-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I just caught a 3-4 lb bow at Skinner on a 6"plastic looking for bass at the west dam. I decided to start looking for Striper at DVL on Saturday. My first trip back since re-open. Slow trolling a swimbait and watching the sonar I marked MANY fish mid-lake from 5-25 feet. Now to end my skunkage like GD.
Oh and hope I'm not hijacking but I saw a group of 3-4 giant bass up in an inlet no more than 3 feet from shore. I mean huge. At first I thought they were karp. Seeya there!

diamondbear
02-14-2010, 02:23 PM
I went out a couple of weeks after the re-opening and caught small LMB but just cruised around the entire lk. looking for signs of life . I came home and started a maintence job on my boat and finished this weekend , [ I WAS TAKING MY TIME UNTIL VINCE CAUGHT THAT FISH ] See you guys next weekend , lol // db Theres been alot of BIG STRIPERS caught since reopening DVL , lets hope theres still a chance for the great holdover trout fishery that once was .

GdHkSet1
02-14-2010, 08:56 PM
good god! you can see how much i look at this board..... nice going man!!! i will be getting out there soon. i am having so much fun at skinner with the fat stockers....
Pete you and your Dad are just wreaking havoc at skinner! Hope to see ya on the "other side" of skinner.

This time of the year they should be from the center and east of the main points,i was there at the repopening fishing for stripers and metered massive schools of shad not far from the marina, you know what that means,,,,,,,,,,find the bait and you will find the fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Bob That feesh in your avatar "DV Salmon" 7-8lbr?

I just caught a 3-4 lb bow at Skinner on a 6"plastic looking for bass at the west dam. I decided to start looking for Striper at DVL on Saturday. My first trip back since re-open. Slow trolling a swimbait and watching the sonar I marked MANY fish mid-lake from 5-25 feet. Now to end my skunkage like GD.
Oh and hope I'm not hijacking but I saw a group of 3-4 giant bass up in an inlet no more than 3 feet from shore. I mean huge. At first I thought they were karp. Seeya there!
P.A.W way to shake the skunk off, hope you get those big lmb's.

I went out a couple of weeks after the re-opening and caught small LMB but just cruised around the entire lk. looking for signs of life . I came home and started a maintence job on my boat and finished this weekend , [ I WAS TAKING MY TIME UNTIL VINCE CAUGHT THAT FISH ] See you guys next weekend , lol // db Theres been alot of BIG STRIPERS caught since reopening DVL , lets hope theres still a chance for the great holdover trout fishery that once was .
Steve, hope to cross paths with you on the water next week.

PONTOON
02-14-2010, 09:10 PM
That's awesome Vince! Trolly and I were out there a few weeks ago to see if the catfish wanted to bite and although we couldn't find any of them we did spend a little time reminiscing about the wide open trout bites on the troll and the quality fish we would catch.
It's great to see that they are still out there and good job. Your persistence certainly paid off. Congratulations!:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

TroutOnly
02-15-2010, 09:25 AM
YES VINCE IT WAS CAUGHT VERY NEAR THE SURFACE RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BIG DOCK ON A CRAWLER WITH THE HAPPY TROLLER DEPLOYED ME AND MY CLIENT CAUGHT AND RELEASED NEARLY FIFTHTEEN HOLDOVERS THAT DAY THEY WERE CHASING THE SHAD SCHOOLS, THE WATER WAS VERY CLEAR AT THE TIME SO THE SKOW TROLLED CRAWLER THEY COULD SEE FROM FAR AWAY,THE BIG ONE WAS NEARLY NINE LBS,WE ONLY TOOK FIVE BETWEEN US THAT DAY ,WE WERE HAVING TOO MUCH FUN FIGHTING THEM ON THE LITE TACKLE AND IT WAS AT THE BEGINNING OF MARCH, I CONSTITLY LOOK OVER MY PHOTO RECORDS OF WHAT WAS CAUGHT ON WHAT AND WAHT TIME OF THE YEAR, WHAT IS THE WATER CLARITY LIKE NOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

GdHkSet1
02-16-2010, 05:03 PM
That's awesome Vince! Trolly and I were out there a few weeks ago to see if the catfish wanted to bite and although we couldn't find any of them we did spend a little time reminiscing about the wide open trout bites on the troll and the quality fish we would catch.
It's great to see that they are still out there and good job. Your persistence certainly paid off. Congratulations!:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:
Hopefully Team TrollToon will get the kitties and some bigtails next time. You guys have pulled out some heavy stringers out of the DV.

YES VINCE IT WAS CAUGHT VERY NEAR THE SURFACE RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BIG DOCK ON A CRAWLER WITH THE HAPPY TROLLER DEPLOYED ME AND MY CLIENT CAUGHT AND RELEASED NEARLY FIFTHTEEN HOLDOVERS THAT DAY THEY WERE CHASING THE SHAD SCHOOLS, THE WATER WAS VERY CLEAR AT THE TIME SO THE SKOW TROLLED CRAWLER THEY COULD SEE FROM FAR AWAY,THE BIG ONE WAS NEARLY NINE LBS,WE ONLY TOOK FIVE BETWEEN US THAT DAY ,WE WERE HAVING TOO MUCH FUN FIGHTING THEM ON THE LITE TACKLE AND IT WAS AT THE BEGINNING OF MARCH, I CONSTITLY LOOK OVER MY PHOTO RECORDS OF WHAT WAS CAUGHT ON WHAT AND WAHT TIME OF THE YEAR, WHAT IS THE WATER CLARITY LIKE NOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o
I think I remember that post, those were tanks you and your client pulled out that day-heavy heavy stringer. I was out yesterday for about 3 hours, water temp is 57-58 or so, I broke out the meat for em, but no takers or strikes. Lots of sonar action on the west side, no shade balls but lots of stacked fish. Water clarity could be better, algae floatin on the east side in some places. This weekend we have a cool down too, but will continue to monitor.