PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid lake, east side of FWY

fishfinder
02-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Does any-one know if this is legal to fish. I know you aren't alowed to park anywhere neer it, but if you were to get dropped off somewhere and walk in. I fished it about 25 years ago, and there were no signs saying no fishing back then, but i haven't check back since. Or are there any no tresspassing signs posted?
This is the small lake on the other side of the fwy from pyramid.

CL SmooV
02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I used to fish this pond in the 80's. fishing there used to be open like 7-11. we used to just drive down that crumbled road, park at the bottom and fish all day. we even took one of those heavy duty army inflatable boats out there once and cleaned up on everything: crappies, gills, bass, using cranks and drop shot methods, and a couple catfish on crawlers. we never once got asked to leave or seen a ranger or anything. maybe it was luck. oh, we always released the bass to keep the fun going, but kept the good sized crappies and gills.

but..... that was back in the day. i dont know what would happen if you tried it in 2010. and oh, i seen the biggest black bear print of my life at this pond. ive seen many black bear tracks in my life but never this large. it was in the back of this pond at the mouth of the canyon in the way back.

i bet the pre spawn bite there is good however. i always fished there in the dead of summer only.

if you hit this pond up, let us know how it goes.

smoov

SCVchad
02-11-2010, 10:03 PM
this place is not how it was back in the day, the chp/dfg/sheriffs from the main lake all patrol it, chp doesnt like people going off the freeway there, the sheriffs dont like people fishing for free and i dont know why dfg cares, but i aint going back it was cool back in the early nineties

BIGBASS MB
02-12-2010, 07:29 PM
We live in California and we must follow the rules...

Shore Stalker
02-13-2010, 11:21 AM
I went last summer. The lake weeds took over so I floated a boat out. Nothing bigger then a guppy came out of that lake. There was a massive die off a year ago when they lowered Pyramid dramatically to work on some pipe. The lake almost disappeared completely so anything of size died or was eaten do to shallow waters. It has but nothing but babies right now. I decided to give it 2 years to recover before I go back.

I saw no less then 3 people cruz down there in trucks and only one got out to fish for a little while. I think If you have a Adventure Pass you should be ok but you are going to need a good truck to get in and out of the area. I drove my Kia Rio up the steep side by the offramp. But then I am more then a little crazy.

Ray Lopez
02-13-2010, 03:05 PM
last time i went was back in 98ish and we took a truck down off the freeway and fished for a few hours and then CHP came and read us the riot act and was gonna ticket us but then my buddy's dad knew alot of high end people in the chp and Police department and did dog training for the k-9s in san fernando and so we all got off with a small slap to the wrist. I've been wanting to go back badly tho ever since. We pulled out some big fat whiskerfish. I would say easily 8to 15 pounds. On chunk mac!

FSHNLIC
02-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I've never fished that one... However, When I was a teenager I used to fish a small pond at the base of Pyramid Dam where Piru Creek begins. There used to be some really big wild Rainbows in there. I do believe it would call for a ninja mission as I do not believe you are able to fish it

Kilo818
02-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Does any-one know if this is legal to fish. I know you aren't alowed to park anywhere neer it, but if you were to get dropped off somewhere and walk in. I fished it about 25 years ago, and there were no signs saying no fishing back then, but i haven't check back since. Or are there any no tresspassing signs posted?

i was there on sunday just to check it out there are no signs saying no fishing, or tresspassing si i think as long as you have a fishing license your not doing anything illegal

fishfinder
02-15-2010, 03:59 PM
I went last summer. The lake weeds took over so I floated a boat out. Nothing bigger then a guppy came out of that lake. There was a massive die off a year ago when they lowered Pyramid dramatically to work on some pipe. The lake almost disappeared completely so anything of size died or was eaten do to shallow waters. It has but nothing but babies right now. I decided to give it 2 years to recover before I go back.

I saw no less then 3 people cruz down there in trucks and only one got out to fish for a little while. I think If you have a Adventure Pass you should be ok but you are going to need a good truck to get in and out of the area. I drove my Kia Rio up the steep side by the offramp. But then I am more then a little crazy.

wow i am surprised all the water would have gone down in that short of a time. hopefully there will be lots of them swimming under the fwy through the tunnel this spring.

i was there on sunday just to check it out there are no signs saying no fishing, or tresspassing si i think as long as you have a fishing license your not doing anything illegal

thanks for checking

I've never fished that one... However, When I was a teenager I used to fish a small pond at the base of Pyramid Dam where Piru Creek begins. There used to be some really big wild Rainbows in there. I do believe it would call for a ninja mission as I do not believe you are able to fish it

i have caught some real nice trout there. nice bright red colors on them. my buddy caught a 6 lber where the water comes out the dam, but the next week he got a really expensive trespassing ticket.

tpfishnfool
02-16-2010, 08:17 AM
I think they call that place Crazy Horse ? I myself have never fished it but have friends that have tubed it and did well on a few species.
BUT, the jury is still out as to if it is legal to fish. I know of 2 people who have been ticketed for parking on the dirt road and some have not, just told to leave. If its not posted then you have a chance to fight a ticket.
It is on either blm or forest land so if you have an adventure pass you should be good.

sardean
02-18-2010, 09:25 PM

thanks to this f....ing post i just got screwed..i tried that place out then when i was gettin in my tube a chp pulled down. he was driving a pickup w camper shell.he gave my a couple tickets. wreckless driving for pulling of the crazy stunt from the freeway w big rigs hauling but.thenpulling in a small gap between the guard rail. even though he never saw me..also one for blocking a fire road. even though there was plenty of room to get by.one for tinted windows.then he gave me a big speech about how dangerous it is to pull on and off the freeway with out proper exits. i guess hes right..moral of the story i wouldnt go there.

fishfinder
02-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Sorry to hear about the tickets, but you should have heeded the warning all the replies gave me. ( i did) they said you will get ticketed. please dont blame the post, i was just asking a question. but i would fight the wreckless driving for sure.

tpfishnfool
02-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks sardean for taking one for the team... Sucks bro! Tell the Judge you were just following orders from FFN and you need to get back soon to the compound before the master baiter goes looking for your arse..

Shore Stalker
02-23-2010, 06:13 PM
I have fought tickets for close to highway parking and won. Just remember if you piss them off to bad they will put a gate up. One of my routes got closed like that.

DEADROOTS
02-23-2010, 06:27 PM
After my ticket last November Ill never go there again. the Law enforcement there are fish Nazis, they despise anglers of all kinds. We're law breakers in there eyes. Paying $18-$24 for parking and launching is better than a couple hundred and being ridiculed for parking off of a freeway. Listen to Sardean.. its not worth it in my opinion.

DEADROOTS-

fishfinder
02-23-2010, 06:43 PM
i am thinking of having some-one drop me off and run down too the lake real quick, and then have them pick me up later.

Shore Stalker
02-27-2010, 01:10 PM
I went down there And I now know why the cops freak out on people down there. The whole place is littered with fresh shot gun shells and 22 casings. I don't know what they are hunting down there but I saw the tracks of every animal big and small in the mud including Mountain Lion and Bear. I did the narrly turn on to that dirt road and parked about 50ft from the entrance. I put a sign in my window saying I was having battery problems and would be back shortly with help and a replacement.

I hiked down to discover the ruts in the road are so deep even the trucks have been bottoming out and tearing up earth. Found a good hiding spot by the water and fished in bushes with no luck. When I knew no one had seen me and doubled back to bust me I decided to be bold and fish off the rocks. Once again no luck.

The whole time I was there I did not see a single jump and was looking over my shoulder constantly. I figured if Smokey did not get me a Cougar probably would. After 2 hours of hard fishing and 4 rock snags I had enough. I know the fish must be there but all I saw was a lot of ducks. The other side of the freeway has the same conditions from shore and there is no bullet casings on the ground and no worry of getting a ticket. With that thought I hightailed it out of there and went to fish Pyramid.

The lake was also shallower then I hoped for. As far as I could cast out I was in less then 8 feet of water. My casts never took line once it hit the water. I think if you had a tube you could get to the reeds on the other side where a stream comes out of the mountain. .That's probably where they all hang out but then the CHP could see you from the slow lane on the freeway. I seems like a lot of hassle when I know I can catch fish on Pyramid and I have 10x the amount of shore available to me at Pyramid.

Now I don't care if you want to go down there to make your own judgement but I will say this as a fact. Going down there in the dark or before sunrise is a complete suicide mission. If you think I'm wrong just look at the ground as you walk in. Bullet casings Deer prints and Mountain Loin prints in a perfect ambush setting where animals are so used to humans they walk next to a freeway. If you go unarmed you are a fool. If I ever go back at daylight I'm bringing a spear that has a 1 ft of blade a 3 ft shaft. I cant afford the gun!