PDA

View Full Version : Look What A Friend Found - CDM Beach

Fish Dog
02-10-2010, 11:52 AM
A friend of mine e-mailed me some pictures. He was down at CDM beach today and found this...

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/caninelaw/gw.jpg

Great white shark pup, about 4 foot long. Too bad it didn't survive to dine on some of the local sea lions.

Fishbones
02-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Aww poor lil guy...really cool looking too!!

yakfu
02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Even at 4 feet.....look at the girth on that thing...big *** C130 body

flytyingreloader
02-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah, ditto to your comments on the "sea lion potential" lost.

PokerFish
02-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Pretty cool pic...which beach is CDM?

evalrez
02-10-2010, 02:34 PM
:Shocked: Pretty crazy! Lookin at the head...almost looks fake!!

PokerFish
02-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Pretty cool pic...which beach is CDM?

Forget it...I'm guessing Corona Del Mar?

yakker
02-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Costa Del Mar, its down off the Lajolla canyon. Had a paddle boarder got eaten down there a couple years back. Smile for the camera.

Hometown
02-10-2010, 06:24 PM
are you sure its agreat white the pointed nose looks to be a mako

Hometown
02-10-2010, 06:24 PM

PokerFish
02-10-2010, 08:55 PM

That does look a lot like a Mako. Plus, from what I remember...Great Whites are already about 5 feet long when born. I think Makos are about 2-3 feet at birth so probably a Mako if this shark was only 4 feet.

Fish Dog
02-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Check my avatar - that's a baby mako about 3 feet long (C & R of course). Pretty sure this one's not a mako, too chunky. Here's a couple of better pics of that mako in my avatar.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/caninelaw/Mako2-1.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/caninelaw/Mako1.jpg

It's a lot skinnier, the jagged teeth stick out around the jaws and it has like a pointy nose, not just the nose tapering down to a point. Someone on another site thought it could be a salmon shark and after checking I suppose it might be. Check out this link...

http://www.conservationinstitute.org/ocean_change/predation/salmonsharks.htm

...there's even history of them washing up on beaches in California and Oregon (near the bottom of the page, scroll down) although it doesn't say where or how far north.

PokerFish
02-11-2010, 03:54 AM
That was an interesting read...maybe it is a salmon shark

DockRat
02-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Read this website and report any sightings.

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

The material contained on this Web site is shared as a public service and to further the scientific goals of the Shark Research Committee.

Does Wingnut Surf ?

Here is a report.

Sunset Beach — On February 4, 2010 Brad Goldstein was surfing 50 yards South of the Gladstone's parking lot exit at Sunset Beach. It was 8:10 AM and he had been on the water about 70 minutes. The sky was overcast and the ocean choppy with 2 – 3 foot waves. No marine mammals were observed in the area. On several occasions small fish, maybe 2 – 3 inches in length, were observed breaking the surface of the water. Goldstein reported the following; “My friend Arthur, and I, were just below the Gladstone's parking lot exit. As I was about to paddle for a wave, a guy on a stand-up board yells, 'A huge shark just swam under me!' He was about 10 feet South of me. I caught the wave and rode it into knee deep water. My friend, Arthur, paddles in and we decide to move about 50 yards South. After a few waves each, maybe 10 minutes later, we are sitting on our boards, in pretty shallow water, maybe 4 – 5 feet deep, talking about how scared the stand-up boarder looked when suddenly a fin came up out of the water 2 – 3 feet from Arthur's right leg. We paddle in as fast as we could. I catch a wave on my stomach and rode it in. Arthur had to paddle all the way in by himself. We didn't go back out but there were still about 3 surfers (all women) that kept surfing.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

San Onofre State Beach — On January 10, 2010 Troy Johnson and two companions were surfing Trail #1 at San Onofre State Beach. It was 12:30 PM and they had been on the water 1.5 hours. Air and water temperatures were estimated at 70 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. The sky was clear with a mild breeze and the sea glassy with 2 – 4 inconsistent sets. The water was 10 feet deep with similar visibility and a sandy bottom with scattered rocks. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Johnson reported; “I had just taken two long rights and decided to go in for a rest. After about 10 minutes I was walking back down the beach to get back to the location directly out from the reef where the waves were breaking the best and I saw one of my buddies riding in on his belly. He had gashed his hand and it was bleeding pretty badly. There was a first aid kit in the back pack so he decided to treat his wound before going back out, as the swell was starting to pick up. I left him and started paddling back out when my other buddy came flying in on his belly, white as a ghost, motioning me to get out of the water. He was clearly shook up and almost shaking from the adrenaline rush. I turned around and started going back in and tried to start talking to him but he couldn't say anything but "get out, get out." I listened and made the difficult walk out through the rocks at low tide. Once on shore he told us what had happened. He felt his leash was too tight and he started yanking on it to because he figured it was wound around one of his skags. It finally released but it felt like something had let it go. He looked over his shoulder to see what was up and that's when he saw a Great White Shark swimming next to him, about 2 feet away. It slowly made its way under his board and then flicked its tail quickly and shot out and around the front of his board doing a u-turn. Just as he saw the shark coming back his way he turned and started paddling into a breaking wave which he rode all the way to shore on his belly. He is a veteran 25+ year's surfer and lifetime fisherman who has caught hundreds of sharks over his lifetime. He knows what he saw and it was a Great White Shark, 6 – 8 feet in length and 2.5 feet at its widest point.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Sunset Beach — On January 3, 2010 Ron Burkhardt was surfing at Sunset Beach near the Gladstone's parking lot. It was 4:15 PM and he had been on the water 2 hours. The sky was clear and the sea calm, glassy, with 2 – 3 foot waves. Air and water temperatures were estimated at 75 and 55 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. The water was about 20 feet deep with a sandy bottom mixed together with small reef and kelp formations. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Burkhardt reported ; “I was out at the point of Sunset and the majority of surfers were behind me and to my right. There was a diving or research boat anchored about 100 yards straight out from the steps. My viewpoint of the shark was North to South. The shark completely breached about 20 – 30 yards a stern of the boat, reaching maybe 2 – 3 feet in the air and completely exposed. It did a complete roll before entering the water. The shark was dark grey on top with a white belly and 7 – 8 feet long. For the next 20 minutes I looked for additional activity but saw none. Got the next wave in and continued to look for activity for another 30 minutes; saw nothing.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Sunset Beach — On January 1, 2010 Kathy Caverly was surfing at Sunset Beach. It was 4:30 PM and she had been on the water about 30 minutes. Air and water temperatures were estimated at 65 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. The sky was clear and the ocean calm with 10 feet of water visibility and 1 – 3 foot waves. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Caverly recounted; “I was sitting on my board between the outhouse and the point. The tide was extremely low. I was looking straight out to sea. There were about 4 surfers in my vicinity and maybe another 10 – 15 nearer to the point. Suddenly a shark jumped out of the water and twisted its body in the air and made an arc. Its belly was facing me...clearly white. The shape was distinctly "sharky," obviously not a dolphin. It was pretty far out, maybe 75 yards. Because of the distance, it is hard to estimate the size, but perhaps about 8 feet. I exclaimed pretty loudly, and I heard someone else closer to the point at the same time...so I was not the only person to see it. It made for an awesome New Year's Day surf.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Sunset Beach — On January 1, 2010 Stephen Gorum was surfing Sunset Beach off the South end of Gladstone's parking lot, 50 – 75 yards from the rocky point. It was 10:30 AM and he had been on the water about 1 hour. The sky was clear and the sea calm with 3 – 5 foot sets. Air and water temperatures were estimated at 60 and 56 degrees Fahrenheit, respectively. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Gorum reported; “There were a few other surfers' further outside, but more inside of my location. I was maybe 30 yards South of the people furthest North. Maybe 30 people in the water. I was scanning for waves when the shark breached with its mouth agape directly outside of me, 20 – 30 yards away. The shark made u-turned and twisted in the air exposing its belly, which was white. After it entered the water I said out loud, ‘What was that?' A girl next to me said ‘It was a shark!' I knew, but just wanted a reaffirmation of what had just happened. I paddled inside into a group of surfers and pulled my feet up, not knowing what to do. Not many saw the shark, but I talked about it for the next half hour trying to calm myself. I didn't get out of the water until a few waves later, about another half hour. When I left the water I discussed the sighting with the girl who had seen the shark and replied to my question in the water. The shark was approximately 25 yards from me but I had nothing for scale to get a good size estimate. It looked large, definitely bigger than a dolphin and wider, a big fish. I probably should've left the water immediately, but I felt it could've gotten any of us at any time if it wanted, so I decided to stay awhile longer. I know it was a blessing to see such a magnificent creature. The apex predator of the world's oceans... Incredible!” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Ginger.

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo72/getbent/IMG00037.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/jdaddyazz/shark.jpg DR

ghetto dad
02-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Wow...thats sad...I agree about the seal lion comment..too bad those dont show up on the beach dead in mass quanities..between those and those damn giant squid..there wont be much left to catch in the ocean soon...

GD

yakker
02-13-2010, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=DockRat;430677]
Does Wingnut Surf ?

Ginger.

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo72/getbent/IMG00037.jpg

[QUOTe]

Doc we need to talk,

DockRat
02-13-2010, 07:38 PM
[QUOTe]

Doc we need to talk,

Not the Ginger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJJrkWLJa2I&feature=related

but the Shark Report.

My friend, Arthur, paddles in and we decide to move about 50 yards South. After a few waves each, maybe 10 minutes later, we are sitting on our boards, in pretty shallow water, maybe 4 – 5 feet deep, talking about how scared the stand-up boarder looked when suddenly a fin came up out of the water 2 – 3 feet from Arthur's right leg. We paddle in as fast as we could. I catch a wave on my stomach and rode it in. Arthur had to paddle all the way in by himself. We didn't go back out but there were still about 3 surfers (all women) that kept surfing.”

DR

smokehound
02-17-2010, 02:52 PM
This is a salmon shark. Not a mako.

I actually used to catch these things with my grandpa up in Alaska, they are BRUTAL fighters. They actually fight HARDER than makos.

Very odd to see one down here, must have been following some steelhead down south..