PDA

View Full Version : what's open?

jim532
02-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Is there anything besides Owens River and PVR thats open season right now for Spin fishng?
Also how do you get to the gulch? Where do you park, etc.. Is it worth my time, this time of year?

gracias

asmacsbob
02-10-2010, 09:09 PM
what else do you need....and do you mean the gorge instead of gulch....if so when you go to pvr powerplant start to hike up the creek...if it is worth it is up to you....fishing is no better than the lower owens if you know how...everyone i hear complain about the lower owens just doesnt like it cause its hard to fish correctly without losing lots of hooks and setups....but it is not unheard of to catch 30-40 fish in a weekend if you know how to fish it...dont get any better than that

dockboy
02-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Hot Creek, Upper Owens, East Walker, Bridgeport Reservoir, the Gorge (section of the Owens between Crowley and PVR), and the Lower Owens are all open. I believe Diaz Lake is open too, if Im not mistaken. With the exception of Diaz, all waters EAST of the 395 (towards the Sierra range) are closed till general season opener on April 15th. Anything WEST of the 395 in Inyo is open all year. This means the Lower Owens from PVR to Lone Pine, which is a lot of fishable water. Diaz actually has a surprisingly good fishery from past reports Ive seen of it. In Mono County (Mammoth, June Lakes) only the Upper Owens and Hot Creek are open. The Upper Owens has 6 feet of snow plus, and no fish, and Hot Creek is flyfishing only water. If you are going, go soon. The entire river below Crowley is awesome right now.
BTW, all are open to "Spin fishing" except Hot Creek, provided your gear and tackle follows the regulations (i.e. single barbless hooks, catch and release, 2 fish 12-14", etc)

jim532
02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm thinking about taking a sabaticle next weekend, I've fished the owens off of Hwy 6 and couple other spots, but I think I'll hit the gorge for a change of scenery. Last couple months have been rough, so gonna leave the work phone and the laptop at home and head out for some fishing therapy.

Big Country
02-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Dockboy - The general trout season opener in the Sierras is April 24th, or the last Saturday of April each year.

dockboy
02-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks Big Country. I always get that mixed, dont know why XD

As far as the Gorge goes, there are really two sections. Above the last Powerplant at PVR, the river is steep, small, and mostly a wild brown fishery. Really good fishing for lots of small browns, this time of year is nice as the nettle and rattlers are down and out for a while. You can access it nears Tom's palce or hike upriver from the parking lot at the Powerplant. If you plan to do this time of year, give it some time to warm up. Hit it mid morning, by noon the baetis and midges ought to be crackin pretty good.
The lower river, below the powerplant, is a different fishery. Mixed browns and 'bows, mostly bows. In the lower parts, its actually considered part of PVR. The fishing can vary with the water flows, the winter has less power and water generation going out, so its more consistent. I've had fall and summer bites there go from wide open to nada in less than an hour due to the sudden increase of water flow. That being said, a good road follows the river and allows easy access to the banks. The browns are just coming off their spawning times, and are hungry now. Believe it or not, I once got a beautiful 16" brownie in the powerplant pool, that ate a Super Duper that was SKIPPING across the surface. I felt like it was iron fishing in the salt lol

oakboy
02-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks for asking the question jim532 i am hoping to get up there is the next month or two myself.

jim532
02-12-2010, 11:27 AM
just read the report from troutfitter on the gorge and lower Owens, and it looks like the bite is epic right now, hope it stays this way till next weekend.

Frenchy
02-12-2010, 02:08 PM
planning on hittin up PVR this weekend or next who here is down to meet up in bishop to fish all weekend there