PDA

View Full Version : Azusa Canyon

Frenchy
02-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Goin to azusa canyon on thurs to go hiking with the girlfriend and then i talked her into doin a lil fishing only problem is never fished it any tips please. all fish if caught will be C&R. Pm if necessay please and thatnk you in advance

smalweld
02-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Went there about a month ago, DFG no longer stocks this area. Not many fish left and tiny fish at that.

old pudd fisher
02-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Try the west fork off the main road it gets nice the deeper you go and have native trout about four miles up. Nice little hike.

viperman100
02-08-2010, 09:53 PM
use the smallest trout jigs you can get in yellow or white works well too, clamp the barb down you wont need it and actually the further up you go it is illegal to use barbed hooks. last time there was about a month ago for me and I left there after catching and releasing countless native trout one nice 11" trout might have been a rainbow holdover or maybe just the last of the dfg stockers a couple blue gills and belive it or not a little 7" bass. look for deeper pools pack light you wont need anything more than the jigs, and remember your dealing with a natural river way keep it clean and catch and release. I love it up there very tranquil and the further up you go the nicer it gets. good luck, almost went today but ended up at santa fe dam instead.

FishEye
02-08-2010, 11:57 PM
I used to frequent the west fork a couple years ago and the best fishing was 8-10 miles up by Cogswell dam. My buddy and I would ride our bikes all the way up, hitting various deep spots, but mainly we would go to fish by the dam. I dont know about now, but there were a bunch of stocker and sometimes larger sized trout up there.

smalweld
02-09-2010, 04:41 PM
The West Fork is closed from the second bridge, essentially the beginning of the artificial and barbless regulation area. There is a sign posted there and have seen people being asked to leave and heard about getting a ticket for failure to leave the area. This is all due to the Morris fire.

FishEye
02-09-2010, 06:54 PM
The West Fork is closed from the second bridge, essentially the beginning of the artificial and barbless regulation area. There is a sign posted there and have seen people being asked to leave and heard about getting a ticket for failure to leave the area. This is all due to the Morris fire.

Wow, thats too bad, was some good fishin up there. I even remember one time my friend and I ran into one of the workers up there at the top of the dam and he let us walk across and fish the lake. It was awesome to say the least. We put on some crankbaits to get deep and it was wide open on trout; nice ones too 2-3lbers. I wonder what else they have up there; the lake is pretty big and looks like it can support a wide variety of species.

kz4bass
02-11-2010, 10:26 PM
viperman100 has the right idea (yellow and white jigs) but the fish are so small that its hard to set a hook. I read on this site that dfg stop stalking because of an endangered frog up there..Ive only fished 2 miles in, from the sound of it the higher you go the better.