PDA

View Full Version : SuperBowl Ruby Reds from Jess Ranch

Mojave River Angler
02-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Tim and I were going to hit the Ranch yesterday, but when the alarm went off it was raining pretty hard out here in the desert. I went back to bead and decided there could be better days to fish. Woke up this morning a little late, but to no alarm. Heard a little wind and decide to give it a try.

Got to the Ranch at about 8 to light breezes and temps in the low 50s and started to fish just past the first spillway with short leaders of 4 lb with #18 treble with PB dipped in green garlic sauce. It was tough getting started and after about an hour of watching the people 40' to my right catch a few Tim wondered over and got some advice and came back with a jar of the only other color of PB I didn't have. So on with the salmon/peach and the fishing began. So an hour in and Tim gets a healthy 1.75 lb feeesh and then maybe half hour later dad snarls out this little 12 oz. thing. Now I'm seeing people leaving who are limited out and it is getting close to 10:30. I feel like I'm doing someting wrong. We decide to move. I pull two poles and as I reach for the third the line jerks out. Another nice feeesh...but it doesn't make me stay. We move on around the corner. I put all three poles out still using the same bait and leaders...some long and some short. For the next twnety minutes it is just reel them in and stringer just in time to net the next one. Limits for Tim (2) and dad (5). Bang. 6 of the 7 were about 1.5 to 1.75 lbs. Off to clean our fish and sail home to the SuperBowl party (I had no idea who was even playing). I did go over to the couple that helped us with the appropriate color of the day bait and thanked them for helping my son and I have a great time. I just love people like that. They were not concerned that we might catch fish that they could have cought. Just really nice people.

Here is a photo of the "other" side of the mountains.
MRA

JAG107
02-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the report, nice to know what's working up there.

FISHINGBEE
02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Nice! Way to go. I used to love to fish the Ranch! Nothing personal but i think it's more than
i can afford. I can only afford the narrows cuz i buy a year parking pass. Even their fee was raised
from 5 to 7 bucks. Even if there is only one lake to fish.

FISHINGBEE