PDA

View Full Version : PVR 2/06/10 The Brown part of town!

JAG107
02-07-2010, 07:09 PM
This was my first trip to PVR, I just had to see for myself how great it was after reading these awesome reports here. Made a one day trip from Socal and it was way worth it. Goal of the trip: Catch my first brown trout.
After 3 hours of nothing but 2 short bites, finally threw out a big 1/2 oz krocodile as far as I could, and on the 6th cast, got my first brown ever! All browns CPR, I figured the best thing to do is to release these beauties, they were the most beautiful trout I had ever seen! Are Browns stocked regularly in PVR, or just rainbows? I didn't think it'd be cool to keep and eat a brown when there's plenty of stocker bows out there, even though the only bow we got was the one pictured below.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=20536
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=20535
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=20533

We also netted this near dead rainbow. What the hell do you think could have happened to it? We killed it to put it out of its misery. It had come floating/half swimming right in front of us on shore.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=20534
Got 2 more by 1pm, then headed to the lower owens @ hwy 6 for no love, then went home after 2 hrs. What a beautiful trip! Saw 2 bald eagles also. Such a great experience compared to my recent skunk trips to the socal mud holes.

oakboy
02-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Nice post. I think i might have to do the turn and burn trip soon myself. Nice first Brownie!

<><
KP

Jimbow
02-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Jag I also netted a dying rainbow a few weeks back in PVR with the same desease. I have no Idea what that shat is. Congrats on the Browns!

TroutOnly
02-07-2010, 08:27 PM
NICE JOB ON THE BROWNS, I SAW SOME RAINBOWS SWIMMING WITH THAT SAME THING GOING ON ,SOME OF THE FISH AT THE HATCHERIES GET IT ,I WAS TOLD WHAT IT WAS BUT I CANT REMEMBER ,SORRY IM HALF BRAIN DEAD ANYMORE,,,,,,,,,t/o

flytyingreloader
02-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Nice work on the #1 Brown! I don't know if many (or any) browns are stocked in the Owens River, I know there is a lot of natural reproduction though. That might be the only production source.

Fisho
02-07-2010, 10:18 PM
it's fungus.

JAG107
02-08-2010, 04:50 PM
How nuts is it that a trout of that size would go after such an enormous lure? We tried all varieties of buyants, panther martins, spoons, minijigs of all sizes and colors, power worms, and only this green/chrome kroc nailed the 3. We got short bites on kastmasters right up near shore, they must have followed them in. I wish the browns were more common, these are such hard fighting, amazingly beautiful fish!

baybassboy
02-08-2010, 08:21 PM
All browns CPR, I figured the best thing to do is to release these beauties, they were the most beautiful trout I had ever seen! Are Browns stocked regularly in PVR, or just rainbows? I didn't think it'd be cool to keep and eat a brown when there's plenty of stocker bows out there, even though the only bow we got was the one pictured below.

this guy gets it... you are the man... well done

Trout-Chaser
02-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Some may argue, but I think the brown is the loveliest of trouts--when they are dark with those red spots standing out, man, what beauties! And they are scrappy, too. My one and only really big (16") brown on the Lower Owens was a real hard fighter. The little ones aren't afraid to hold on either!

Sierra_Smitty
02-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Exceptional report man - great job! Congrats on the first brown...may it be the first of many.

I really like the way you think with regard to C&R on the brownies - kudos.

The DFG does very little stocking of Brown Trout these days, at least in our neck of the woods. The population of browns in both PVR and the Owens is very healthy and self-sustaining so they don't really have to put any in there to improve the fishery.

Rock on \m/

jim532
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Jag I also netted a dying rainbow a few weeks back in PVR with the same desease. I have no Idea what that shat is. Congrats on the Browns!

I think that fish has herpes :EyePop:
Hope you washed your hands

flytyingreloader
02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
You "fish" for most trout. Browns you hunt for.

skutaboi
02-12-2010, 10:12 PM
you can see the finger prints/fungus on the bow too much man handling killed that trout

tpfishnfool
02-14-2010, 07:51 AM
The bows at prv are dieing from to much recycled Coors Light ..... Sorry

TroutOnly
02-14-2010, 10:53 AM
LOL THATS FUNNY, THAT PLACE GETS HAMMERED FROM THE LOCALS ALONG WITH ALL THE FLAT LANDERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

tpfishnfool
02-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Ever try eating recoors light marinaded pvr trout ? mmmm good
ralph_t

BIGBASS MB
02-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Congtarts on your first brown, sounds like you had a great trip

MB

JAG107
02-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks, Bigbass. Does anyone know when the bite really picks up at PVR? I'm ready for another trip!

steve092
02-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Nice work accomplishing your goal!

smokehound
03-26-2010, 10:31 PM
that looks like a saprolegnia infection. Too bad you didnt have any phenoxethol on ya, that would have cured this trout.

(Btw, phenoxethol is a must-have for all freshwater aquarium owners)

JAG107
03-26-2010, 10:37 PM
I probably used to have a bottle of that when I had my FW tank! LOL that trout was toast, I don't think any amount of medicine was going to grow the flesh back on its fins and face...

Marley
04-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Nice job on the browns! That Rainbow looks a lot like hatchery broodstock after they're spawned out, all covered in fungus. Supposed to not be painful but I bet it itches like the devil. If that's what it was it was recouperating, not dying.

Big Country
04-08-2010, 05:00 PM
nice brown...and thank you for putting it back. May the fishing gods bless you with many more browns in your future.

JAG107
04-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks Big Country! I'll be back for sure, especially after seeing that 7-8lb'er get caught @ the Jones derby! I know there's gotta be a bigger one @ PVR!

Marley: do you think that bow could have grown its flesh back on its body, jaw, fins and tail?

troutdog
04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Nice going on the brownies JAG, I think you proved they are not afraid to attack a large prey! :LOL:

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us,

TD

Marley
04-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks Big Country! I'll be back for sure, especially after seeing that 7-8lb'er get caught @ the Jones derby! I know there's gotta be a bigger one @ PVR!

Marley: do you think that bow could have grown its flesh back on its body, jaw, fins and tail?

I didn't see the fish up-close but the picture looks like broodstock I've seen in hatcheries. It's common in just-spawned fish. Saw the same thing on wipers planted in Irvine couple of months ago, all fuzzed up like a moldy cucumber and swimming really shallow, now they're biting. I know they don't spawn so that had to be the handling. Plus, it looks a just-spawned female.
Again, I did not see the fish and I meant no offense, just made an observation.
BTW, stop off at one of the hatcheries and check out their broodstock raceways.

JAG107
04-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the tip, Marley!
I certainly don't mean any attitude, I guess you can't type tone :)
I just meant that I had never seen a living trout in that condition, swimming right on the surface, stayed in the same area we were fishing, and could hardly move. I didn't think it had any chance whatsoever surviving whatever ailment it had. I've only trout fished for barely a year now, and I'm sure have plenty of natural phenomenon yet to experience in my future of fishing!
I once visited the Mt Whitney hatchery many years ago, but didn't pay much attention because I had no idea at the time how incredible these fish really are. I will definitely make another visit someday, though.

Marley
04-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the tip, Marley!
I certainly don't mean any attitude, I guess you can't type tone :) ...

OMG, I get myself in so much trouble sometimes! I write something that is typed with a grin on my face and a chuckle when I hit 'enter' but when I read it back the next day, OY! It sure didn't come across the way I intended and I'm the one reading it. So no worries, I know exactly where you're coming from.
It's good to know there are new folks coming into the (I'm not supposed to call it a sport). Get giddy about going, have fun when you arrive and look, listen and learn while you're out there.