PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Half Time, The Who

Bassnman Mike
02-07-2010, 05:09 PM
OK, first off, I have always liked The Who but does anyone else think they pretty much sucked? Maybe they are just getting too old but I thought they sounded like crap.

Just my opinion.

fisherman from long beach
02-07-2010, 05:21 PM
they were drunk.but yeah they didnt sound all that great.i've seen them in concert,and that was great.

trout worm
02-07-2010, 09:52 PM
i wish the nfl would stop having these old fart rockers doing the halftime show. i gues they don't want a repeat of the janet jackson boob flash... by having young hot talent....

but it really sucks... i changed the station at the half... couldn't stand it.

Sea Monkey
02-10-2010, 10:25 AM
You're right. They pretty much sucked.

Cangler
02-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah they blowed !

But Roger Daltry owns a trout fishery , so we should let him off !

http://www.lakedowntroutfishery.co.uk/

DarkShadow
02-10-2010, 11:51 AM
See what one areola does to a half time show?

That performance had an eerie resemblance to the Grateful Dead's "Touch of Gray" video.

http://www.dead.net/sites/deadbeta.rhino.com/files/images/19870509_1618.jpg

Whose bones are they gonna dig up next year and throw on stage? Van Halen?

Fisherman57
02-10-2010, 12:27 PM
OK, first off, I have always liked The Who but does anyone else think they pretty much sucked? Maybe they are just getting too old but I thought they sounded like crap.

Just my opinion.

LOL!....... no, it definetly wasn't one of those perfomances that helped The Who sell over 100 million records and chart somewhere around 25 top forty singles.... and with over 17 top ten albums, including 18 Gold, 12 Platinum and 5 Multi-Platinum........ I guess everyone was expecting a bit more from the elderly Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Band.

Then again, I doubt if many 66 year old vocalists like Roger Daltrey sound the same as they did in their prime.

they were drunk.but yeah they didnt sound all that great.i've seen them in concert,and that was great.

They were? What? A drunk rock star? I can't believe it!.........

i wish the nfl would stop having these old fart rockers doing the halftime show. i gues they don't want a repeat of the janet jackson boob flash... by having young hot talent....

but it really sucks... i changed the station at the half... couldn't stand it.

Hahahahahahaha!............"Old Fart Rockers" who by the way still rake in millions per year and sell out venues.

I hear City Dad is trying to get Miley Cyrus booked for next years halftime show..........
I have a feeling she'll never be known as an "old fart rocker".......... LOL!

Yeah they blowed !

But Roger Daltry owns a trout fishery , so we should let him off !

http://www.lakedowntroutfishery.co.uk/

and he DOESNT take credit cards! ........ 5 fish limit!

Bottom line...... you're all correct. They don't sound like the old WHO........

But for some reason, I still like the music the band originally produced in their younger days with founding members Keith Moon & John Entwhistle....... waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day........... back when they were "YOUNG FART ROCKERS".

I like Zac Starkey (Ringo Starr's son) on drums....... he seems to fit better (except for age) with The Who than he does with Oasis........

So.......... for you OLD Who fans.......... enjoy:
Keith Moon kinda reminds me of Trolly!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgWQ1erBnMo

Personally, I think they did a good pretty good rendition of "Who Are You" ....... at about 4:54
and the crowd was with them BIG TIME on that song.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57avQ0Bxg34

Not bad for a bunch of old fart rockers........ and they did it with no staged "wardrobe malfunctions"........

OH.... and the light show was pretty cool too.

Hated Sea Kook
02-10-2010, 03:11 PM
LOL!....... no, it definetly wasn't one of those perfomances that helped The Who sell over 100 million records and chart somewhere around 25 top forty singles.... and with over 17 top ten albums, including 18 Gold, 12 Platinum and 5 Multi-Platinum........ I guess everyone was expecting a bit more from the elderly Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Band.

Then again, I doubt if many 66 year old vocalists like Roger Daltrey sound the same as they did in their prime.

Nobody is saying that their careers stunk, so there's no need to bust out the resume.

At the SuperBowl event I attended, one of my friends summed it up nicely with this infamous line:

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7904/bodybag.jpg

Grant it, he had already consumed a Vitamin Water™ bottle filled with Crown Royal, but he really did get the gist of what the majority of the crowd was already thinking - while The Who may have enjoyed their pinnacle of their career on the Isle of Wright in 1970, they are not exactly relevant to what popular culture is today, regardless the numbers Baby Boomers throw out.

I hear City Dad is trying to get Miley Cyrus booked for next years halftime show..........
I have a feeling she'll never be known as an "old fart rocker".......... LOL!

I find it funny that you use numbers to back up your claim that The Who was the perfect selection for the Superbowl, while making fun of Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana, whose supporters also use "numbers" to validate her grip on the industry. LOL!

Indeed, I can't help but wonder how much of an influence CBS executives had on the choice of halftime performers. In case you've been living in a cave for the last 10 years, the themes to all three CSI shows just happen to be performed by - you guessed it - The Who. I am actually shocked that The Who didn't fall back on full length versions of those three standards instead of going with the less-than-stellar medley that they did.

Now, I am a long time admirer of The Who's music, and I have taken my share of jabs from friends. "They're old." "They're only half-a-Who." "We won't get fooled again." My typical reply is that as aged as they might be, their performances are a damn sight better than most of the current talent out there. However, that is really not a good standard to use - how much they suck less than newer bands - when choosing a half-time performance.

Face it - the NFL took the easy way out when choosing The Who. They damn well couldn't field pansies like Owl City, or risk rocking the neocon boat with the likes of Lil Wayne or Ludacris. And in a year when Cheap Trick's latest single is "harder" than the Rock drivel coming out of the major record labels, CBS had to go with the ol' tried-and-true. And why not? Anyone daring to criticize The Who or their performance would be mercilessly ridiculed, n'est-ce pas?

But let me ask you this - if this had been Super Bowl I and not XLIV, do you think the NFL would have considered a halftime show starring The Who? Not a chance in hell. (In case you were wondering, the performers were the University of Arizona & Grambling State University Bands, Al Hirt, and the Anaheim High School Drill Team.)

Fisherman57
02-10-2010, 04:12 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!

Wow, you Miley fans are ruthless!

"Nobody is saying that their careers stunk, so there's no need to bust out the resume".

Although The Who's resume is slightly shorter than your response, its more fun to read!

I find it funny that you use numbers to back up your claim that The Who was the perfect selection for the Superbowl, while making fun of Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana, whose supporters also use "numbers" to validate her grip on the industry!

Ummmm......... can you point out that part where I said "The Who was the perfect selection for the Superbowl"?
Yeah, I didnt think so. LOL!

Now, I am a long time admirer of The Who's music, and I have taken my share of jabs from friends. "They're old." "They're only half-a-Who." "We won't get fooled again." My typical reply is that as aged as they might be, their performances are a damn sight better than most of the current talent out there. However, that is really not a good standard to use - how much they suck less than newer bands - when choosing a half-time performance.

Huh?

But let me ask you this - if this had been Super Bowl I and not XLIV, do you think the NFL would have considered a halftime show starring The Who? Not a chance in hell. (In case you were wondering, the performers were the University of Arizona & Grambling State University Bands, Al Hirt, and the Anaheim High School Drill Team.)

If this had been Superbowl #1, the Packers would have been playing and I could care less who was playin' at half time! HA!!
Then again, Al Hirt did blow a mean trumpet back then!

BTW, the Packers won that game! Oh, and the next Superbowl as well!

Anyway............ welcome to the board!

olfishergal
02-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Hey!!!!!!!!! I sound like crap too these days, but I enjoyed the music, took me back a year or so, and yes, I am an Eagles fan too

thedeadone
02-14-2010, 07:54 PM
I was happy they came to gather to perform!!!!!! LEGENDS IN ROCK!!! but I am older than a Smiley siris fan.I think the Dead would be a great half time show. I think this new fangled dance track lip sinc crap sucks!!! if you need 30 people on stage with you dancing to sell your music-you must not be that good.The Who for superbowl 60!!!!

Troutman65
02-15-2010, 08:32 AM
I enjoyed the the show. What do you expect from 60 year old rockers ?