PDA

View Full Version : Question on reels.

Justl1keRaven
02-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Okay, so I am ready to move on to bait casting. I am willing to spend $100-$200 on the reel, but of course the cheaper the better.
Where should I start looking or what should I start looking at for a BC in the surf?

As for a rod, I understand, I need a medium action rod, right?
Medium action will allow the LC to set its hook before it gets ripped out.
And I also need it about 8 feet long?

Thanks.

GeordyBass
02-06-2010, 12:44 AM
just so you know, there is a Fishing and Gear section...

But I would recommend a Curado 200E5/E7.... a Very popular reel, especially for the price and it is smooth, and a strong drag system....best all around BC....

I would get a 7'6"- 8' Medium/Med. Heavy Rod with a Mod. Fast action.
A teramar would be the perfect combo.... Or a Salty Carrot Stix too....
But if you can put in a little more cash... the Phenix Black Diamonds are Sweet!

Nessie Hunter
02-06-2010, 09:06 AM
just so you know, there is a Fishing and Gear section...

Ditto....

I am not a big Abu fan, but reading up on the new Revo inshore has peaked my interest a LOT!!!!

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarciarevoinshore.html

Something to consider ????

bsp
02-06-2010, 09:47 AM
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41710-So-you-want-to-catch-halibut-from-the-surf

Enjoy! This should answer your question. You don't need an 8' rod if you get a bass crankbait rod. 7' to 7'6" is perfectly fine.

Geordy... Teramars and Black Diamonds are not what you'd use to catch halibut from the surf with LCs since Saltwater Med or Med-Hvy rods are not jerkbait rods. I'll be picking a Black Diamond up to focus more on WSB and calicos this year, but I wouldn't ever use it to chuck the LC 110. LMB rods are what to focus on for halibut.

GeordyBass
02-06-2010, 02:50 PM
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?41710-So-you-want-to-catch-halibut-from-the-surf

Enjoy! This should answer your question. You don't need an 8' rod if you get a bass crankbait rod. 7' to 7'6" is perfectly fine.

Geordy... Teramars and Black Diamonds are not what you'd use to catch halibut from the surf with LCs since Saltwater Med or Med-Hvy rods are not jerkbait rods. I'll be picking a Black Diamond up to focus more on WSB and calicos this year, but I wouldn't ever use it to chuck the LC 110. LMB rods are what to focus on for halibut.
cool, I've used my buddy's teramar, and it seemed perfect for that....there was also one nice model Phenix that really looked meant for casting LCs,,,

DockRat
02-07-2010, 05:58 AM
And I also need it about 8 feet long?

How far do you want to cast ?

Tom Phillips 236 meters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGo23X7jB2Y&feature=related

DR

LBSea
02-12-2010, 03:43 PM
I WOULD NOT RECOMEND A CURADO E7 or E5. Not becuase I don't like Shimano, the fact is I have two Curado E7s. The problem I have found after using mine for tubing for Spotties in the bay is that they DO NOT hold up to salt water. I was going to send my to Frank aka Nessie Hunter but I am going to send it to Shimano instead and see if they replace it. First my casting buttom will not fully dis-engage the spool when pressed down and when this happens you won't know until you get a bite and start to crank the reel and it does not engage. Secondly the small bar that the level wind goes back and forth on is showing signs of corrosion. Lastley the free spool is **** compaired to my Revo S or STX. Although I used this reel in Salt Water I had never dunked it and always rinsed it off with Salt-X and Water.

A good alternative at a GREAT price is the Revo S. I know that there is the SX, STX, In-Shore and I could go on and on but for starters and price you can find a Revo S for $99.00. I got mine BEFORE I got the Curado E7 and the Revo S under the SAME conditions is as smooth as the day I purchased it. Also, as far as the corrosion resistant parts on the Revo S they are almost the same as the STX or the In-Shore, just more bells and whistles on the STX and In-Shore.

Lastley New or Used the free spool on the REVO blows away the free spool on the Curado. See I did not even go to the 24lbs of drag on the Revo vs. the 12lbs on the Curado becuase anyone who knows their **** will tell you 24lbs of drag is what you would set 80 lbs test to.

Again this is NOT some BS I read or heard from a buddy, this is me fishing both reels in the salt side by side for over 1 year.

For starter Rods go with Shimano Clarus or Crucial. Both have life time warrantees and both are VERY affordable. You can pick them up at most Turners, Sports Authorities, Sports Chalet etc... If you have more money go with the Cumara or a Loomis but for starters either of the above will give you a good feel for what is going on.

Good Luck
LBSea