PDA

View Full Version : Giant Squid Fishin out of newport

fishindude420
02-05-2010, 07:15 PM
went out to daveys locker with zombie and a few other buddies on tuesday. while were waiting in line ktla 5 news comes up and takes some video of us. pretty cool to see. we left the dock around 7 and got to the spot not much later. first spot was a little slow so we tried a little bit up and it turned WFO! i was getting bit instantly every time i got in the zone. these guys r fun! i had triple hook ups with my friends all night! it was awesome. we left around 10:30 and didnt get into the dock till after 1:00. cleaning those guys takes forever! Get out there while you can guys, its awesome and it can shut down anyday!

DockRat
02-05-2010, 07:31 PM
WTG on the Humbolts.
In the paper today they said they only live one year.
Too bad the weather is bad or more guys would get them.
DR

old pudd fisher
02-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Wowee !! are they good to eat ?

fishindude420
02-05-2010, 09:40 PM
yah there awesome. i soak mine in milk for a few hours then put it in batter and deep fry! add some ranch or marinara sauce and ur good to go! i already ate like 3 pounds in the last 2 days that way. getting ready to make another fresh batch right now :)

old pudd fisher
02-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Sounds awesome. Thanks.

GeordyBass
02-06-2010, 01:40 AM
nice catch!
where have you been hiding out lately? lol

fishindude420
02-06-2010, 09:59 AM
nice catch!
where have you been hiding out lately? lol

lol thanks man, ive been hiding out in the salt! Im giving freshwater a little break :) saltwater fish fight way better!

JapanRon
02-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Hi fishindude420,

Please go and catch more of them !! I fear they're gonna destroy our Summer Bass-bite again this year.

You guys shoulda been hooked up contineously ...... they'll attack anything moving .... bait, jigs .... kitchen sink !! I can just hear it now ..... Wow ..... what color toliet seat did they use to catch those ?' ha ha

Congrats on the moment of fame !! Great pics !!

thanks,

JapanRon

delmar
02-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Lol i was in the guy in the blue sweater! behind you hahaha, dude you had TONS OF SQUID BRO! GOOD JOB ON THE CATCH! i was really beat after that night.

fishindude420
02-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi fishindude420,

Please go and catch more of them !! I fear they're gonna destroy our Summer Bass-bite again this year.

You guys shoulda been hooked up contineously ...... they'll attack anything moving .... bait, jigs .... kitchen sink !! I can just hear it now ..... Wow ..... what color toliet seat did they use to catch those ?' ha ha

Congrats on the moment of fame !! Great pics !!

thanks,

JapanRon

dont worry man. Im going back out this week to slay as many as i can! im doing more saltwater and bay fishing then freshwater now so i dont want those squid to come in and eat all my spotties! 1 pound spottie fights like a 4 pound largemouth! lol.

Lol i was in the guy in the blue sweater! behind you hahaha, dude you had TONS OF SQUID BRO! GOOD JOB ON THE CATCH! i was really beat after that night.

hah. thanks bro.you did pretty good yourself man! yah i was on fire that night lol! 25 pound test and a flimsy 8 foot rod made for flylining sardines was fun as hell with those squid! lol. i was looking down the rail and my rod was the only one bent all the way in half, ahhhaha. i cranked em in on that rod but im still frkn sore as hell! hahaha. i cant beleive how many fish everyone hooked. it was literally every drop! too bad we had to wait 3 hours for them to clean them or we would of had more time to hook up! hit me up if ur gonna take a trip again this month. im gonna try to go atleast 2 more times before they dissapear

Fish Dog
02-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi fishindude420,

Yes! Kill them all! Kill them all!! As JapanRon said they will ruin any chance of catching any "real" fish locally again this year. Why do you think all the sport boats can catch any more is scalpin?

Get out there while you can guys, its awesome and it can shut down anyday!

We can only hope they'll shut down and go back to Baja where they belong. If we can catch anything but them this year I'll be surprised. The damn things eat EVERYTHING!

It's just beyond me how everyone can get so thrilled about these damn squid showing up. It is the death knell of most of our inshore fishing for another year and who gets the blame? We do! I firmly believe that the genesis of the MLPA's is because of these squid the past few years. I'm glad everyone enjoys catching these things because, soon, this is all you will be able to catch unless you want to take a $200 off shore tuna trip. Have fun!

fishindude420
02-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Yes! Kill them all! Kill them all!! As JapanRon said they will ruin any chance of catching any "real" fish locally again this year. Why do you think all the sport boats can catch any more is scalpin?

We can only hope they'll shut down and go back to Baja where they belong. If we can catch anything but them this year I'll be surprised. The damn things eat EVERYTHING!

It's just beyond me how everyone can get so thrilled about these damn squid showing up. It is the death knell of most of our inshore fishing for another year and who gets the blame? We do! I firmly believe that the genesis of the MLPA's is because of these squid the past few years. I'm glad everyone enjoys catching these things because, soon, this is all you will be able to catch unless you want to take a $200 off shore tuna trip. Have fun!

If your just gonna cry on my post then DONT POST! its people like you who make me stop posting. yah there fun as hell and yah im gonna do it as much as possible. HELL YAH im thrilled to see these things show up because its very rare and i can go out and stick tuna or spotties anytime i want to. Yes i know they eat all the frkn fish but thats not my problem. atleast im going out there and thinning them out. all your doing is sitting on ur butt and crying like a little girl.if your so worried about it then get out there and start catching them instead of sitting on the comp crying about it.i can throw $200 for a tuna trip no prob if i really wanted to but its not that big of a deal. there around every year and im in no rush. Im going out this week for some more squid and im gonna release every single one i catch. i hope all your bass, tuna, and yellowtail can get away before the squid get them!

FISHNCHIPS
02-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Nice job taking out them squids. I'm signed on for Saturday on the Telstar out of Fort Bragg and bringing a group so we can have fun and maybe save a few of what's left of our salmon up here.
Since the Bluefin are all being captured,penned and fattened for sushi the squid are safe from one of their predators. The Bluefin will be nearly extinct in ten years so the squid population and range will expand until another predator can catch up and control them. Nature is funny that way.

FISHINGINMYBLOOD9
02-06-2010, 09:15 PM
nice going man i was also on that boat i only got one lol:Embarrassed:,hooked up on at least 10 on the second stop but i was stuck on the wrong side of the boat and i didnt have a big set up so my line would just go under the boat and then get hung up and then the squid would come off oh well guess i need a bigger set up next time i go, hoping they are going to be around all next week i plan on going again they are a lot of fun, I heard you talking about bass fishing, pre spawn is right around the corner cant wait!!!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/squidward_2.jpg

Native Gal
02-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Fishingdude420,
Thanks for the post, cool you got some Humboldts. That sure would be a fun outing, thanks for the great pixs, glad you had a blast.

NG
:Envious:

flyforfish21
02-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Nice squids...not quite sure about the yellow jump suit! lol...way to slay em out there!

Geoff

DodgersFan
02-07-2010, 08:13 AM
i went on a cattle boat once to catch the squid out of sd. hooked up at 500 feet and quickly learned what these squid are all about. like picking up lead from 500 feet up. nice to pick up something big but i will take a yellowtail or even a 4 pound red over these things.

fishindude420
02-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Nice job taking out them squids. I'm signed on for Saturday on the Telstar out of Fort Bragg and bringing a group so we can have fun and maybe save a few of what's left of our salmon up here.
Since the Bluefin are all being captured,penned and fattened for sushi the squid are safe from one of their predators. The Bluefin will be nearly extinct in ten years so the squid population and range will expand until another predator can catch up and control them. Nature is funny that way.

Thanks for the reply man

nice going man i was also on that boat i only got one lol:Embarrassed:,hooked up on at least 10 on the second stop but i was stuck on the wrong side of the boat and i didnt have a big set up so my line would just go under the boat and then get hung up and then the squid would come off oh well guess i need a bigger set up next time i go, hoping they are going to be around all next week i plan on going again they are a lot of fun, I heard you talking about bass fishing, pre spawn is right around the corner cant wait!!!

Fishingdude420,
Thanks for the post, cool you got some Humboldts. That sure would be a fun outing, thanks for the great pixs, glad you had a blast.

NG
:Envious:
no prob. thanks for the nice reply

Nice squids...not quite sure about the yellow jump suit! lol...way to slay em out there!

Geoff
you would wear one too if u had it out there.you gotta be a total idiot to have one of those and not wear it on a sqiud trip. unless u like to be freezing cold all night and covered in ink.

i went on a cattle boat once to catch the squid out of sd. hooked up at 500 feet and quickly learned what these squid are all about. like picking up lead from 500 feet up. nice to pick up something big but i will take a yellowtail or even a 4 pound red over these things.

yah im with u on that. but how often do u get a chance to catch giant squid!

fishindude420
02-07-2010, 10:16 AM

Its all good man atleast u gotta hook up out there! The best part was feeling that slack line in deep water, crankin up and MAJOR BENDO! lol hit me up on your next trip. i might meet you up there!

EL_CHIDO
02-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Hit Davey's Locker on Friday Twilight but had to come right back cause of the winds. DAMN!
Gonna try again next Friday, got the "Rain" check passes. Hopefully them squiddies are still around.

Anyone else on that boat that night?

fishindude420
02-08-2010, 12:51 PM
sorry to hear that man. yah the swells were pretty freaky for me on tuesday for the first 10 mins untill the wind died down. scared the crap outta me right when we left out of the harbor. lol. havent been out on a boat past the harbor in a while so i wasnt use to those waves

DockRat
02-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Any reports from you guys on the stomach contents ?

I wonder if those Pelicans in Cabrillo rehad can eat them. Read today they are going through 4000 lbs of fish a day with all the pelicans they have over there. Too bad there is no market for them. Those commercial guys could be making a killing right now.

It's just beyond me how everyone can get so thrilled about these damn squid showing up.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w247/pirategurl5/242berl.jpg

Do you have any evidence on what they are eating. People say they are eating everything but from what I've read they usually have dines or chovies in them.

I hope your not Biatching when the EXOTICS show up due to El Nino:???: :ROFL:
I for one will be stoked eating La County Dorado.
Saw a big school of bait, jumping mackeral, dolphins, and diving birds off Lunada right outside the kelp today.

DR

Where is the Market up here ?

Japanese Delicacies

Every night, hundreds of Mexican fishermen head out to the rough seas in pangas, small skiffs, to fish for jumbo squid. It's no easy task. The catch is heavy, and every squid must be caught on a hand line.

But the harvest is lucrative. Humboldt squid are considered a delicacy in Japan. Each boat, manned by two or three fisherman, typically brings back a metric ton (2,200 pounds) of squid every night.

Scientists believe the Humboldt squid, like most predators, focus their diet on the most easily captured prey, in their case lantern fish and sardines. In turn, the squid is preyed upon by large fish such as marlin and swordfish, and it's a main staple of sperm whales.

Tag and Recapture

A greater knowledge of the Humboldt squid may bring economic benefits. The entire economy of fishing towns like Santa Rosalia depends on squid, with fishing and packing operations providing local jobs.

"This issue of commercial relevance has international as well as local implications," said Gilly. "Where do the squid that are being caught in the Gulf spawn? Are there more than one breeding population? We don't know, and such questions underlie some thorny issues in other fisheries—such as salmon or tuna."

From his tag-and-recapture studies, Gilly has learned that the squid carry out a seasonal migration of more than 100 miles (160 kilometers) across the Gulf of California, between Santa Rosalia on the Baja peninsula and Guaymas on the Mexican mainland. They spend the day about 800 feet (250 meters) deep, rising at dusk toward the surface where they feed at night.

"We don't know what they are doing during the day," said Gilly. "This is especially interesting because the water at these depths in the Gulf has almost no dissolved oxygen in it. From what we know about squid respiratory physiology, they should not be able to survive the conditions there."

Scientists also don't know why the squid inhabits an area for some time, then disappears only to emerge somewhere else in huge numbers. Some experts believe that ocean-going squid like the Humboldt are increasing in numbers as fin-fish populations around the world decline.

Like other scientists, Gilly believes we have only skimmed the surface of what the oceans really hold, and that many other sea creatures are still waiting to be found.

"Many of the so-called discovered species are so mysterious that they are little more than exotic Latin names," he said.

Humboldt squid don't survive more than a few days in captivity, and studying their behavior in the field is hard without interfering with them.

"We know so little because they spend 95 percent of their lives at depths well beyond those safely observed with scuba," said Gilly. "We don't know where they spawn, and their eggs have never been found in the wild."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/07/0718_030718_jumbosquid_2.html

Here is a good article. I noticed this at the bottom.

This research was supported by grants from the David and Lucile Packard Foundation.

Humboldt Squid On The Move
ScienceDaily (July 29, 2007) — Over the last five years, large, predatory Humboldt squid have moved north from equatorial waters and invaded the sea off Central California, where they may be decimating populations of Pacific hake, an important commercial fish.

Ironically, these squid may have benefited from the decline of large tuna and billfish in the Equatorial Pacific, which previously preyed upon and competed with the Humboldt squid for food. This biological shift is documented in an article by postdoctoral scholar Louis Zeidberg of Stanford University and senior scientist Bruce Robison of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute in the July 31, 2007 edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Humboldt squid (Dosidicus gigas) hunt in large numbers along the coasts of both North and South America, from Chile to Baja California. They have occasionally been spotted as far north as San Francisco, but never before in large numbers or over long periods of time. In recent years, mass strandings of Humboldt squid on Southern California beaches have led to speculation that the squid might be expanding their range. This study provides the first scientific records to prove that assertion.

To study changes in the abundance of Humboldt squid in Monterey Bay over time, the authors reviewed video and data from surveys of marine life carried out by Robison and his colleagues at the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI). Since 1989, Robison has used MBARI's remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) Ventana and Tiburon to videotape and count the number of midwater animals observed at specific depths in Monterey Bay. The resulting data are stored in a searchable database that allows scientists to determine exactly when and where each animal was seen.

Searching through Robison's survey data, Zeidberg found no observations of Humboldt Squid from 1989 to 1997. During 1997, however, large numbers of Humboldt squid were seen for a year or two after a strong El Niño event brought warm water northward along the coast and into Monterey Bay. From 1999 until 2002, just a few Humboldt squid were seen during ROV dives. In 2002, however, large numbers of squid appeared after a mild El Niño event, and they have been abundant ever since.

The researchers speculate that, during El Niño years, currents from the south help carry Humboldt squid northward to new feeding areas. However, Humboldt squid are believed to live for only a year or two, and El Niño events occur every three to seven years on the average. Thus, El Niño-related currents alone could not maintain a large population of Humboldt squid in this area.

This may explain why the squid that appeared in 1997 disappeared within a year or two—they came and they ate, but they did not reproduce locally and eventually died out. Since 2002, however, the authors suggest that Humboldt squid have been both feeding and reproducing off Central California.

Although Humboldt squid have historically been found in warm-water areas, they are very adaptable. Robison's observations show that in Monterey Bay they frequently hunt thousands of feet below the sea surface, where the water is quite cold (less than eight degrees Centigrade). Thus, their colonization of Central California waters is not simply a response to a localized warming of the ocean.

Zeidberg and Robison suggest that Humboldt squid populations may be growing and expanding northward due to a decrease in the number of predators and competitors in their home range (the Equatorial Pacific). Chief among these predators and competitors are large tunas and billfish, whose numbers have dropped precipitously in the Eastern Pacific over the last few decades.

Video from ROV dives shows that Humboldt squid off the Central Coast have found plenty to eat in their new home. According to Zeidberg, "In the deep water offshore of California, Humboldt squid can forage on small lanternfishes, as they do in the tropics. However, when the squid migrate onto California’s productive continental-shelf areas, their adaptable hunting strategies allow them to prey upon commercially important fishery species like hake and anchovy." In fact, Robison's survey data showed that within a month after populations of Humboldt squid increased in Monterey Bay, the number of hake dropped dramatically.

The Humboldt squid's apparent preference for hake makes their northward expansion more than just an ecological case study. Although the hake fishery in Monterey Bay is not large, this species (also known as Pacific whiting) is presently the most important commercial groundfish caught off western North America. (Most hake is caught and processed offshore of the Pacific Northwest by factory ships that grind up the fish to make imitation crab and other minced-fish products.) In the last few years, Humboldt squid have also been expanding their range southward along the coast of South America, and may be threatening hake fisheries there as well.

Over the last five or ten years, Humboldt squid have expanded both north and south of their "home turf." A few have been seen as far north as Canada and the Gulf of Alaska. This expansion, if sustained, could have far-reaching effects on West Coast fisheries and marine ecosystems. Zeidberg and Robison's paper shows how sustained scientific monitoring efforts in the marine environment can help document such important biological shifts that might otherwise be missed.

This research was supported by grants from the David and Lucile Packard Foundation.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070725174459.htm

Swampchicken
02-09-2010, 11:58 AM
We killed them out of Dana, and boy were they yummy.

catfish 17
02-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Are they still biting?

jumpman
02-10-2010, 11:54 PM
my buddy was there at the start and cought 14 that night. They would only let him take what he could carry as with the rest of the boat, everything else thrown overboard what a shame. i went on thursday and i got to bring one in, it was great but we only averaged a little over one a angler. I also went on superbowl sunday but wter was choppy and dirty so we cam bak in. I want to keep the hunt but honestly i think they are on theyre way out. as far as everyone crying about these guys eating all the fish, it is not as bad as you make it seem. Infact if you clean one you will notice that most of the meat in the belly is other squid, but like someone said earlier if it is a big problem to you go help catch these bad boys. Personally i love them because i get alot more dinner from these than any other harbor fish.
jason aka JM

DockRat
02-11-2010, 06:35 AM
. They would only let him take what he could carry as with the rest of the boat, everything else thrown overboard what a shame. i went on thursday and i got to bring one in, I want to keep the hunt but honestly i think they are on theyre way out. as far as everyone crying about these guys eating all the fish, it is not as bad as you make it seem. Infact if you clean one you will notice that most of the meat in the belly is other squid,
jason aka JM

Thank for the report.

I hope they don't dump them in the Humbolt zone. Cannibals.

Squid in the stomach ??? Humbolt or Market (bait size) ?

Anybody else see the stomach contents ?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t304/hayleyakercher/IMG_0256.jpg DR

ghetto dad
02-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Over the last five or ten years, Humboldt squid have expanded both north and south of their "home turf." A few have been seen as far north as Canada and the Gulf of Alaska. This expansion, if sustained, could have far-reaching effects on West Coast fisheries and marine ecosystems. Zeidberg and Robison's paper shows how sustained scientific monitoring efforts in the marine environment can help document such important biological shifts that might otherwise be missed.

Thanks for that Dock Rat....YES they have really been impacting local fishing since they have started showing up...I hate those things, and am NOT happy they are back..again..to eat everything...again...grrrrr

Nice report Jack Quinn...glad youre hitting the salt brother...

GD

sansou
02-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Emo Fishing Crew....ha ha ha!! Make sure you have Hak do "disposable hoodies" for the new crew....LOL! Good to see you back GD, wherever you've been hiding.

As for the humboldts, I agree with GD, it's just been my personal observation that they absolutely shutdown the fishing for a while whenever and wherever they roam. Anyone who says otherwise makes me wonder if they really have first hand experience about what they're talking about. The scariest part of it all, is that in the last 2 years they are even showing up during the summertime up north (here), as opposed to just the winter months.

fishindude420
02-12-2010, 01:06 PM

Thanks for that Dock Rat....YES they have really been impacting local fishing since they have started showing up...I hate those things, and am NOT happy they are back..again..to eat everything...again...grrrrr

Nice report Jack Quinn...glad youre hitting the salt brother...

GD

lol damn homie where have you been at? thanks for the reply. Are u layin low with all the skunk missions u go out on? lol just playin. shoot me a pm man and ill give u my new number. 90 percent of the fishing i do now is in salt now. usually in the bay though. Im tired of those damn largemouth unless its a giant double digit! bay bass fight 10000 times harder then largemouth!

ghetto dad
02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
LMAO!! hey..um...Joaquin..he was talking about my avatar homie...lol....

GD

fishindude420
02-12-2010, 06:46 PM
hahahha sorry i space out from time to time. hahaha

FISHNCHIPS
02-14-2010, 09:30 AM
This has been some great info on these creatures. I chartered for a group out of Fort Bragg Friday and it was tough fishing in rough conditions. I boated only one from 1,050 feet,never want to fish that deep for anything ever again. Will put up a post on it in the Norcal later today.

DaveysLocker
02-17-2010, 02:02 PM
fishindude420,
Thanks for the great review!!! Those pics are awesome, we hope to see you again.

David @ Davey's Locker

DaveysLocker
02-17-2010, 02:05 PM
old pudd fisher,

Many people pound the meat down with a tenderizer and grill as steaks while others cut it into small strips and sautee it with white wine, tomato, and spinach. anyone with a great cooking idea let me know, always interested in new ideas.

David @ Davey's Locker

EL_CHIDO
02-17-2010, 02:17 PM
How does it look for tomorrow night Thursday.
This would be my third try.

First was Feb. 5th (called back cause of waves)
Second was Feb. 12th (no squid found).

I'm shooting for either tomorrow Thursday or the day after Friday.

Gmoney
02-17-2010, 06:15 PM
great job on them bad boys!!
hope all is good for ya bro
G$

fishindude420
05-30-2014, 08:35 PM

I havent been on here in forever but i had to reply to you. Your really gonna blame the squid for the ****** sport boat fishing? Yah its a big problem to our fish population when they come in but it's just nature. Id rather have squid come in for a month and have a great feed then have those sport boats who stack up people on there boat every single day, and throw every damn fish they catch in there sacks. I remember back when i was a little kid the party boats would kill giant calicos and sand bass all day long out of catalina. even fishing off the piers id catch huggee fkn sculpin along with big sandies. our fishery went to **** in the past 20 years and i will tell you right now. We dont have to worry about the humbolt squid coming in. All the fish that get taken from party boats/private boats etc. is doing a hell of a lot more damage then a big school of squid running through once in a blue moon. So if your that concerned i hope your like me and you catch and release all of your "real" saltwater fish. Or else you have no say in this. Squid need fish to survive. We have other things we can survive on yet some of our population wants to eat everything it gets its hands on.

ela
05-30-2014, 09:18 PM
old pudd fisher,

Many people pound the meat down with a tenderizer and grill as steaks while others cut it into small strips and sautee it with white wine, tomato, and spinach. anyone with a great cooking idea let me know, always interested in new ideas.

David @ Davey's Locker Batter your squid, fried, heat up pan add garlic, chili pepper put the squid in and add salt and black pepper. Chinese salt and pepper squid. Hope you like it.

JigStop
06-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Wowee !! are they good to eat ?[/QUOTE]

The real secret is to get the "second" skin off. You can't even see it. Get a big pan off water to boiling. Take a pair of things and dip the squid fillet so that both sides are under for about 5 seconds. Then you can see the "second" skin and pull it off. Makes a huge difference when frying or broiling the Humbolts.

Wormguy
06-17-2014, 06:16 AM
HI Ron ,where have you been ,Still going out on Wednedays. Did you go to Lone Pine this year.
Wormguy