PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever bring a canoe to the kelp beds off of Dana Point?

oakboy
02-04-2010, 09:49 PM
I have heard of a lot of people kayaking to the kelp beds, but i don't have the cash to buy one. However, my brother has a 10' foot Coleman canoe. Does this sound doable? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If i have a trolling motor do i need CF #'s? If you see a guy out at the kelp beds in a red canoe in a few months it will probably be me!

<><
KP

sansou
02-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I've spent plenty of fine fishing hours canoeing (sp?)...mostly lakes and SLOW lazy rivers. In fact, we did a little this past summer.

Never done it in the ocean. I think at a minimum you'd need a spray shield on the front and back if you plan on having a shot at a little fishing before you drown and lose your gear.

FYI...any motor, electric or otherwise, requires a CF #.

Fish Dog
02-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Unless you're talking about this kind of canoe....

http://www.fastkayak.com/oc-6.jpg

..I'd stay off the ocean. Too easy to swamp a regular canoe.

flytyingreloader
02-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Not a thing I would do. I've listened to accounts from a Canadian friend of mine about 18-foot freight canoes on Great Slave Lake being very sea-worthy, but I wouldn't be real thrilled to try that myself. A 10-foot canoe in the salt outside a harbor or breakwall would be a great way to dump tackle--get swamped--or worse. Go kayak, at minimum.

oakboy
02-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the info guys, sounds like i will pass, maybe I'll just stay inside the harbor.