PDA

View Full Version : What type of set-up do you bring backpacking?

oakboy
02-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Just wondering what all of you guys bring when you go backpacking. I have a 5' ultra light spinning set-up that breaks in half with 2 lb test. I also bring a 4 weight, 8 piece fly rod. I try to fit all of my tackle including both reels into a fanny pack (dont laugh), then i have a hard case with a shoulder strap for my poles. How 'bout you?

<><
KP

Crawler
02-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I carry one spinning reel (pflueger president 6720) with an extra spool, and one bass pro spin/fly 7'6" UL 4piece rod. No case. I have really shaved down on the amount of tackle I carry. Even though its still more then I ever use. :LOL:

oakboy
02-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Same here with the tackle, i always bring like 10 different types of spinners and spoons but only use two or three. Same goes for flies. You never know when your gonna need the brass super duper with rainbow flake!

City Dad
02-10-2010, 07:37 AM
For the Sierras I take my 5' 2 wt and my trusty 5 wt... which is too many rods! I'm looking for a nice four piece 4 wt. any suggestions?

For flies I carry one small box full of white, quill parachutes sizes 14 through 24 and three permannt markers - one grey, one tan, one olive. I throw in the obligitory elk hair caddis 12-18, a few hares ears and pheasant tails and that's it... and in all honesty, I'd probably be okay with just a half dozen #16 elks hairs... but over packing is half the fun.

backpacker71
02-14-2010, 01:33 PM
I only backpack with fly rods, usually in the high eastern sierra. I bring 2 rods.an ultralight 6'3 3 wt 3 piece with an ultralight reel for creeks and 9foot 5 wt 4 piece for the lakes . Both are attached to the outside of my pack. I use a rod tube for the small one and a soft case for the longer one. My usual fly box, hemostats and spare line are all in the top part of pack ready to fish if I find a nice spot.

mth1997
02-14-2010, 11:02 PM
I've found that the rod case doesn't add enough weight for it to be an issue. I always bring mine with the 8'6" 4 weight which I use on the lakes. The 6'6" 3 wt. gets used on the smaller water.

Yo CD, I have an Okuma 4 wt. 4 piece fly rod that I love. Its a little slow, but overall a great rod. And they're in Ontario so if you need to replace something, you can save the shipping costs by driving there yourself (if you live close enough). About $100 at basspro if I remember.