PDA

View Full Version : salt newbie at cabrillo is san pedro

Gmoney
07-10-2007, 04:46 PM
i will be camping at cabrillo beach this weekend with my daughters girl scout troop...im not sure what to expect but it is camping and there is water - wahooo. My wife will be doing most of the girl scout activities so that means i get to fish.

I am not a big saltwater guy (yet) as i have only been out on some party boats a hand full of times. I have never been shore fishing in saltwater and have never been to cabrillo.

i have two salt rigs one with 12 lb and one with 15 lb. At this time both are set up with pre-made 10lb surf rigs.
so here are my questions sorry if i sound confused....but I am

is this the right equipment and set-up for shore fishing?
should i think about some plastics of some type?
if i use smaller "freshwater" gear how much damage will be done to the gear if it is only a one weekend shot?
what do you target at cabrillo?

I am open to any information y'all have to offer
who knows...i may get the salty shore bug...as i really do enjoy the ocean.

Thanks in advance
G$

sansou
07-10-2007, 06:46 PM
I've never fished Cabrillo, so keep that in mind:

I would bring a 6lb setup and some size 6 mosquito/trout hooks as well and go for the corbinas (I'm assuming they are around there too) when you get bored. If anything, you would have a nice setup for catching perch ---> great bait for leo's.

Have fun!

victor101
07-10-2007, 07:54 PM
i was just at cabrillo on sunday with my brother. i fish there simi-regularly. i love it cause its always lonely. the fishing can be good at times. on sunday i was fishing in the surf using a carolina rig, 8lb pline,#6 mosquito hook and caught a few perch and a couple croaker. didnt see any corbina but ive cought them there before. gulp camo sanworms were the bait of the day. if you get a chance stop by Pauls bait and tackle(803 S. Pacific) and pick up some small ghost shrimp and kahle type hooks. if you are not familliar with the hooks, ask them to recommend some. they will also teach you how to hook the GS if you dont already know how. my brother found some sandcrab beds so try and dig some up for the corbina. after the surf died out a bit i hit the pier for the mack attack. you can often catch halibut there. the regulars use a high/low leader. they put the low hook really low and drag the tail end of a chovy for the halis. remember to release any undersize halis(22 in minimum). ive seen way to many people keep short halis there. if you go to the very end of the pier in the morning hours and toss out a croc, you might catch a bonito or even a cuda. the pier can also yield some sand/calico bass. again, release any shorties (12 in. min.). Alot of the people there fish on the breakwall. the breakwall is off limits and is very slippery. trust me :oops: . if you decide to fish there, be careful. i usually fish the surf right next to the breakwall.

GOOD LUCK MAN!

-Vic

Gmoney
07-10-2007, 08:11 PM
vic, sansou and those that have sent PMs
this is exactly why this site is so great.....my head is swimming with info
y'all rock
i would like to drop down to my freshwater gear a bit (8lb or 4lb) but I dont want to do any damage to my setups. Do you think it is ok if i make sure and rinse my rod/reels imediately after fishing???
thanks again to everyone
G$

Funjunkie74
07-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah, Victor is absolutely right about "slippery" and "dangerous".
Cabrillo sucks in a few unlucky fishermen every year and unfortunately they aren't able to tell you their story....

SO BE CAREFUL! TRY NOT TO GO ALONE!

Also, DO NOT EAT ANYTHING YOU CATCH!! Unless you enjoy the burning sensation of an inflamed wee wee, unstoppable diarrhea, and a whole bunch of other issues...CPR (Catch, Photo and Release).

FJ74

fleaflicker
07-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Try to get some smelt from the pier and keep them alive in a bucket with an aerator.

Fish the bay side with a carolina rig and try to catch a big butt around the kelp that's close by.

I feel that an incoming to high tide is better around there.

City Dad
07-11-2007, 01:42 PM
vic, sansou and those that have sent PMs
this is exactly why this site is so great.....my head is swimming with info
y'all rock
i would like to drop down to my freshwater gear a bit (8lb or 4lb) but I dont want to do any damage to my setups. Do you think it is ok if i make sure and rinse my rod/reels imediately after fishing???
thanks again to everyone
G$

10-4 that, Gmoney. I'd never fished surf before and based strictly on what I've learned on this board I was able to go out and actually catch a few.

I use and old freshwater spinning set-up. I rinse it out gently with fresh water and give it a little lubrication after fishing and it seems to be okay.

Gmoney
07-11-2007, 06:38 PM
I use and old freshwater spinning set-up. I rinse it out gently with fresh water and give it a little lubrication after fishing and it seems to be okay.
that is great news!! thanks city dad (that avatar still rocks!!!)

i have been reading some more and the responses are great
i also re-read a surfperch link here on the site....that i had forgotten about until i was reminded - thanks, it was and is a great read (again)
http://fishingnetwork.net/surfperch.htm

at this point i will take my salt rigs and one freshwater rig and begin to play and experiment this weekend

i also just found out that the place we are going is called the cabrillo youth campsite. i havent verified yet, but i think it is at the cabrillo beach....no worries

laters
G$