PDA

View Full Version : 1/2/10 Giant Squid out in OC

delmar
02-03-2010, 03:09 PM
With only 1 hour of sleep my buddy text me that the squid count real high! and from reading other article about them I was itching to go to try and catch my first humboldt squid. We got to davey's locker and people were lining up paid for our tickets hop on the boat and we were on our way. The ride wasn't to long stop at our first location if I remember correctly 1 or 2 came up, I brought one up also. Then Capt said were moving to a newer location about 10 min away from our first spot, got there everyone started dropping there lines in, about close to a min? everyone hooked up, it was a very very good experience for me, I didn't do so bad my self I think I battle about 16 or 7 squid ( lost those 6 or 7 because of the other anglers who some what do not like to follow there line and likes to ignore the deck hands guiding them..) landed 10, gave 6 away, because I heard we have to get them clean! and I was hoping to bring some whole squid for my Chinese friends in East LA. All in all it was a blast when it was wide open, those who are planning on going, and trying this out for the first time, be prepare to get wet, tired, back aching and COLD!

Oh and a little tip, if you have one of those 6 inch squid jigs with no weigh on it, do not tie a line on the bottom of it because the squid will just bite the weigh off, and I learn from another angler on that boat just put a snap swivel and just hook the weigh and jig together on the bottom of the jig.

Oh and THANKS TO THE ANGLERS WHO HOOKED IT UP WITH WEIGHTS AND SWIVEL! I WAS WILLING TO GIVE YOU GUYS MONEY JUST FOR A WEIGHT AND SWIVEL NO JOKE! NO JOKE!!!!!

And thanks to the deck hands did a good job at gaffing! Esp the one that gaff the squid who TRIED TO GET AWAY! AND GETTING MY BUDDIES LURE BACK!

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m399/iamdollfin/squid1.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m399/iamdollfin/photo-1.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m399/iamdollfin/squid2.jpg

Sok
02-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Good stuff, looked like i missed out on this one.

delmar
02-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Good stuff, looked like i missed out on this one.

yeah what the hell! thought you were my best friend! its okay next time!

mybada
02-03-2010, 06:31 PM
These squids have very salty taste. Forget about cooking those things.
Try to give them away to your friend. :)

sansou
02-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Nice report and pics!

Congrats on your fine catch.

murrieta angler
02-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Good Job Bro,
Thanks for the report and pics.
Robert

primo55
02-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Looks like a great time!! Im gonna try it tomorrow night..thanks for the advise.

delmar
02-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks guys! Yeah picture is alright iphone pic, esp when the boat is rocking its not so easy haha.

BIG0FISH
02-04-2010, 11:40 AM
does anyone know if they bite during day light?
i wanna take my little boys out but night fishing wont be a good idea on my small boat.

EL_CHIDO
02-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Can anyone let me know if either of these set-ups would work:

Rods - One says 12-25lbs line and the other says 15-35lbs line

Reel - One says 15-25lbs line and the other says 8-20lbs line

Ricky-Ray
02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
does anyone know if they bite during day light?
i wanna take my little boys out but night fishing wont be a good idea on my small boat.

It would be a hit and miss during the day. I did hear a couple of sport boats got into them during the daylight a day or two ago.

Best chances would be at night.

Ricky-Ray
02-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Can anyone let me know if either of these set-ups would work:

Rods - One says 12-25lbs line and the other says 15-35lbs line

Reel - One says 15-25lbs line and the other says 8-20lbs line

Are these spinning reels or conventional reels? If those are the only two setup's go with the 15-35# rod and 15-25# reel and see if you can put at least 30# line on there. The main thing you would have to consider is line capacity. Once the captain finds the mass of squid they can be anywhere from on the surface to as deep as 1100ft down. And according to the reports the squid have been ranging in size from 20-60 pounds.

IMO if the reel doesn't have the line capacity you might want to consider renting a rod from the landing instead.

fishindude420
02-05-2010, 01:05 PM
nice squid man! we were out there on tuesday too. were u fishing on the western pride? it was pretty cool how channel 5 news came to the dock!