PDA

View Full Version : would love to learn how to catch lobster....

jumpman
02-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Hi everyone, in case you have not met me my name is jason. I have always wanted to learn how to catch lobster but know nothing about it. I do have a little alluminum boat and am not sure if there is anyway i can use this to catch lobster, can i? i also would love to go out with someone sometime if you dont mind a road dog tagging along. any advice or knowledge would be awsome, please write back or pm me. I have always wanted to try it but i have never had a teacher or the resources to do it. I have also heard there are charter trips that go out, does anyone know anything about this?
thanks everyone,
JM

Redkorn
02-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes you can!!!!

Little small boats are the way to fish for lobsters!

Keep things simple:

Better to have someone come with you: To help out with the work, Have another limit to fill, and to help out with the cost of things.

You should get about three nets....5 per man is the law if you fishing by yourself...if you got you buddy or buddys with you, you can only have a number of ten nets total!!!

The reason why three nets well maybe you find out your not really into the sport no reason to g out and buy extra nets that cost about 50 bucks each!!!

Things you will needs

Map's!!! google noaa free charts...the have all bays...and harbors online for free to give you a good idea of what you are fishing in

Lights...Running lights for the boat, Head lights, Spot light for spotting the nets buoys.

Bait cages! good idea to pre load bait at home and keep in a zip lock bag....saves alittle time. and keeps things neat.

Marking you buoys!!! very important....if you loose it,,,its a very good idea to have your name and number on there for ppl to contact you. Also help you figure out which net is yours!!! You need glows sticks or some kind of light on it...ASk you tackle shop guy for more info.

The Nets...depends on what you like...some are bigger some have little nick nacks....you pick...its your money.

Lobster report card and fishing permit.

Bait...raw chicken...cat food...bass....squid...but macks work the best some say.

lobster Gage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! check it and make sure its not worng!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats all I can think of I'll post pics so you dont have get zip ties anymore.

Also you might have to put on weights on the net so that the current does not move around the net.

Hope that helped in some way...

Also google hoop netting bugs lobster

And youtube it dude....lots of very good info on there for ya...look for bugs lobster hooping hoop hoop netting.

jumpman
02-03-2010, 12:33 PM
thanks red, this will be very helpful. I am doing as much research now and trying to hurry before the season is up. checking you tube at this moment

kwest10
02-04-2010, 02:54 PM
do you have a fish finder as well? that helps.
I'd be more than happy to ride along with you.
I usually yak for them but have a broken ankle which makes it impossible for me to load and unload the yak right now or drag it across the sand.

HESBROS
02-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Bait...raw chicken...cat food...bass....squid...but macks work the best some say.

I do not suggest you use any bass for bait, or any other type of fish that has a regulatory size limit! If you have a fish that has a size limit in your possesion, either in a bucket, boat, bait cage or otherwise and the size of the fish cannot be determined you might find yourself catching a hefty fine rather than a lobster. Stick to using fish that have no size limts for bait! Try Salmon heads, bought from a market!

just my two cents!
Good luck!

Redkorn
02-06-2010, 10:42 AM
I do not suggest you use any bass for bait, or any other type of fish that has a regulatory size limit! If you have a fish that has a size limit in your possesion, either in a bucket, boat, bait cage or otherwise and the size of the fish cannot be determined you might find yourself catching a hefty fine rather than a lobster. Stick to using fish that have no size limts for bait! Try Salmon heads, bought from a market!

just my two cents!
Good luck!

Very true...BUt I like save guts whatever catch to toss them in there...best not waste anything.