PDA

View Full Version : Arrested

olfishergal
02-02-2010, 11:19 PM
remember that guy who got the BSB off the pier? Seems he got arrested for taking a protected species!!!!!!!!! Smarty ***, seems all those pics snd U Tube that got took on the beach got him found and arrested!!!!!!!!!! Reporting really works.......Just saw it on the 11PM news........thank u DFG!!!! OFG

Fishbones
02-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Justice prevailed.........imagine him sitting in jail and his cell mate asks him "what you in for"..and he says.."black seabass".....LOL

sansou
02-02-2010, 11:45 PM
lol @ fishbones...

That's gonna be one EXPENSIVE infraction/misdemeanor.

blackberg
02-03-2010, 12:14 AM
awesome!
I would have put him citizen's arrest if I would have been there.
-bb

DockRat
02-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Good F in Liar. 'I didn't know it was a BSB'
Incidental Catch Myass, Liar.

People were telling him, but he still had to drag it up on the sand and pose for pics.

People need to step up and speak.

A real hero would have borrowed some dikes and jumped off the pier and handled the situation
in less than 2 minutes minus all the drama.

Speaking of jumping off a pier, here is a wierd story;

2 Inglewood police officers rescued from night swim off Manhattan Beach

By Sandy Mazza Staff Writer
Posted: 02/02/2010 09:28:36 AM PST

2 rescued from night swimJan 20:

Two men rescued from the dark, chilly, rough waters off the Manhattan Beach pier have been identified as Inglewood police officers.

Officers John Thompson, 32, and Dustin Wise, 29, likely jumped off the pier at about 7 p.m. Sunday and were fetched from the ocean by a group of quick-thinking lifeguards and firefighters, officials said.

It is not known why Wise and Thompson jumped into the water, but people on the pier heard them yelling for help and called police at 7:05 p.m., officials said.

Read more here.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_14310290

OC Registar Science Dude 2/1/10 BSB Story

The California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) has reversed itself and says that it has recommended that an unidentified man involved in helping pull a huge black sea bass from the ocean during a controversial incident in Newport Beach on Jan. 3 be prosecuted by the Orange County District Attorney’s environmental crimes unit.

“The man was interviewed by phone at the time, and it looked like a catch-and-release situation,” said Lt. Dan Sforza, a DFG patrol officer. “But more and more videos have popped up (on YouTube) to show that there was a lot more to the situation than that. So we’ve referred the case to the D.A. for consideration.”

Sforza declined to identify the fishermen. Farrah Emami, a spokeswoman for the D.A.’s office, confirmed that the case has been received and is under review.

The controversy surrounds an incident that happened on the Balboa Pier, where a man caught a black sea bass estimated to weigh 80-100 pounds. The animal is a protected species in California.

Ryan Cordero, a DFG warden, told us about a week after the incident, “The fish that was caught was an incidental take by an angler who didn’t know what he had on his line. He had the fish on the line for about an hour, then the line broke. The fish was at the surface and boaters who were passing by came up to see what they commotion was all about. They hauled it to the beach, where the guy who caught it tried to take the hook out of the fish’s mouth. He wasn’t trying to possess the sea bass, which would have been a violation of the law. He was trying to remove the hook to help the fish and let it go …

“The fish shouldn’t have been taken from the water, and the guy shouldn’t have posed for a picture with it,” Cordero said. “I think that posing was what got a lot of people upset. But the guy was just trying to get the hook out, not take the fish. He ended up cutting the line as close (to the fish’s mouth) as he could.”

After Cordero made those remarks, additional videos of the incident surfaced and were uploaded to YouTube, leading to a public outcry. Some people also complained to DFG. The pressure lead to a review of the situation, and a change in DFG’s position.

BIGRED KILLA
02-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Great job from the videos and you tube now a lot of people know about the protected species of BSB and they found the guy. A hook is not going to do nothing in a BSB mouth why try to hurt it to take a hook out that's BS every body needs to just button down the drag and hold down the spool the line should break at the hook.

Bigred

carpanglerdude
02-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Look, it made Fox News!
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4000167/big-catch-lands-fisherman-in-hot-water

The comment at the end was kinda dumb, about 'how could he have known what type of fish it was before pulling it onto the beach.'
Fail to the guy who gaffed it as well.

carpanglerdude
02-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Here's this too: http://savetheseabass.com/ (put up by the guy who caught the fish)

BIGRED KILLA
02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I thought the fisherman said to the boater to gaff it know its the other way around since he might go to jail lol that website is a joke it should say www.savejonfromjail.com . A lot of people fish for Thresher sharks of the piers with good success he was prob using a live mackerel when this bsb ate it this guy looks like a fisherman he had no walmart rod and tattoo of a jellyfish this guy just wanted a pic of his big catch he needs to be charged with something the 100+ year old BSB is dead.

Bigred

fish4keep
02-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Here's this too: http://savetheseabass.com/ (put up by the guy who caught the fish)
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I'm going to buy 10.....

sansou
02-03-2010, 03:26 PM

It would appear this loser is now trying to turn a profit from all of this.... "proceeds to be donated after costs". The word "costs", does that include paying yourself a salary for selling the t-shirts? LOL !!

"Legal Defense Fund"? He's obviously not remorseful for his actions, as he characterizes the whole incident as politically driven!!

You Orange County residents should be e-mailing the DA to make sure they don't flake on this turd...

fishinone
02-03-2010, 04:07 PM
That web-site is pretty stupid. It says send the Save The Sea Bass money to the attorney.

"Save the Sea Bass"
c/o The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
1720 E. Garry Ave., Ste. 221
Santa Ana, CA 92705

All of the contact information is for the attorney.

cjmlaw@gmail.com

It should be called
http://savetheDEADseabass.com/

What a victim!:Dead Horse::Dead Horse::Dead Horse::Dead Horse::Dead Horse::Dead Horse::Dead Horse::Dead Horse::Dead Horse:

pyronut
02-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey there,

My personal feeling is the guy who owns the boat should also be prosecuted for being an accomplise to this disgraeful act. Unfortunatrly he will plead ignorance and will probly just get a hand slap.

Pyronut

BIGRED KILLA
02-03-2010, 04:17 PM
It would appear this loser is now trying to turn a profit from all of this.... "proceeds to be donated after costs". The word "costs", does that include paying yourself a salary for selling the t-shirts? LOL !!

"Legal Defense Fund"? He's obviously not remorseful for his actions, as he characterizes the whole incident as politically driven!!

You Orange County residents should be e-mailing the DA to make sure they don't flake on this turd...

XXXXXXXXXXXX 2

Bigred

flytyingreloader
02-03-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm unsure which annoys me more--the poaching SOB, or his pandering mouthpiece running this "I'm The Victim" scam. Oh, wait--it's a "Legal Defense Fund", for this poor downtrodden target of agenda-driven arbitrary and capricious selective enforcement. That just makes all the difference. RETCH!!

yakker
02-03-2010, 05:16 PM
remember that guy who got the BSB off the pier? Seems he got arrested for taking a protected species!!!!!!!!! Smarty ***, seems all those pics snd U Tube that got took on the beach got him found and arrested!!!!!!!!!! Reporting really works.......Just saw it on the 11PM news........thank u DFG!!!! OFG

Late Breaking News!!! You my girlfriend :)

So who's the judge?

Whens the hanging?

Fishbones
02-03-2010, 06:35 PM
This guy already admits his guilt thru his words he speaks.....do beginner fisherman fish with gear thats specific to catch big fish...no...a beginner would have been broken off the first minute..or do they fish with mackrel using leaders ....no....does the beginner fisherman jump off a pier to "rescue" a lost fish...NO!!!
He knew what it was and he has plenty of experience.....HES A BIG FAT LIAR and now he pulls this stunt..
what a joke he is...i hope they bunk him with a big ol homie that loves fishing and hates poachers...

troutdog
02-03-2010, 07:24 PM
"Off with his head!" :LOL:

TD

DockRat
02-03-2010, 08:34 PM
What a Joke!

From his website.
' Once on the shore Jon worked frantically to remove the hook from deep inside the fish as quickly as possible in order to get it back into the water. '

If you would like to help support Jon, you can make a donation to the Jon Apothaker Defense Fund, by sending a check, cashier's check or money order made out to "The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann". Please indicate in the memo line: "Jon Apothaker Defense Fund", and mail to:

The DUI Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
1720 E. Garry Ave., Ste. 221
Santa Ana, CA 92705

Here is a YouTube video of Christopher J. McCann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f5nS0xyevQ

JON APOTHAKER YOU FAILED ! http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj291/bubbles_13_2008/iCON%20PiCtURES/thloser.jpg http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo236/cuco_boyz/GIF/47821960jj9.gif
DR

Fish Dog
02-03-2010, 11:45 PM
This guy's a lying tool. His web site says he spend an hour trying to revive the fish. I have info from a source that works for the city of NB that told me that the PD responded to several calls about this and arrived about 10 to 12 minutes from the first call. The fish was back in the water and swimming slowly on the surface with NO ONE trying to revive it. Now, I would assume that, even if we give him the benefit of the doubt and say no one called until he actually pulled it up on the sand, that would have only given him about 8 minutes max of "revival" time before the cops got there. (And I seriously doubt he had that much time). Since he wasn't in possession of it when they got there and it was swimming away, albeit weakly, all they could do was take his name and address, which is where the DFG got the info from to track him down. When the videos came out NBPD passed the info on to DFG. There is no way this guy spent any more then 8 minutes in the water with this fish after spending who know how long posing for pictures on the sand.

As far as I've seen by looking at all the videos there is no shot of the CF number on the boat so the guy in the boat will probably never be ID'ed. IMHO he is just as culpable, maybe even more so, as the fisherman because he gaffed the fish in the mouth and drug it to shore. HE was in the perfect position to become the hero in this as he could easily have unhooked it (or at least cut the line) and then drug the fish slowly around to revive it. Instead he becomes a poacher without a fishing pole.

flytyingreloader
02-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Nice--a DUI Dump Truck handling a F&G case. Get ready for The Orange Bag Brigade, poacher. COMING TO A FREEWAY OFFRAMP NEAR YOU SOON! I hope some myopic bluehair or soccer mom on a cell phone runs his a-- over.

carpanglerdude
02-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Question. What's the significance of the "tattoo of a jellyfish"...? just wondering

yakker
02-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Question. What's the significance of the "tattoo of a jellyfish"...? just wondering

I'll try to answer that

So we’ve referred the case to the D.A. for consideration.”

Man with tat of a Portagee Man 0 War tatoo to his back fishing wire in the Newport Canyon and thats what'x what?

I'm not running for county commissioner but somebody is.

carpanglerdude
02-04-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm still clueless about what you are talking about...sorry...if a pm will take care of it, fire 'em at me.

steelhead
02-04-2010, 08:37 PM
I read an article on this story on the OC register and they took several quotes from this guy. He had every intention of keeping this fish when he first pulled it up hence the photos with the fish. I think the DFG showed up some time later and told him and thatwhen he put the fish back but by then it was too late. They quoted him as saying he thought there was going to be plenty of fish tacos out of the meat when he brought it in. Jail him and slap the max fine on him!

yakker
02-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm still clueless about what you are talking about...sorry...if a pm will take care of it, fire 'em at me.

the point I was trying to make is, the suspect angler had a tatoo of a Portuguese Man of War tattooed to his back, a big one, a full body tat. The suspect was then caught hauling a BSB onto the beach in front of the New Port Canyon, a big one, probably older than him. Doesn't have the werewithall to snap it off and let the beast go. My contention is nobody with a full body tat of a jellyfish and fishing wire in the NP Canyon on the first warm day in SoCal in a month is innocent hauling 100 lbs of BSB onto a crowded beach posing for pictures etc.. etc..

Do I have the facts, No. I live in a world were I have to distinguish between Ooops and malfeasance, and I don't support the fish died of Ooops.

When I read Doc report about the DA my heart sank to the bottom of the bay. I felt like it was just a game. I guess I just see things different.

You got any tats?

Eyethautunew
02-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Maybe all you superheros who would have done this and that if you were there, should go to court with all your evidence and convict this guy yourself. Since everyone one here seems to have all the answers of what they would have done' "only if they were there". And what this guy knew and did not know.

Men fighting over fish. LOl what a joke.

BIGRED KILLA
02-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Maybe all you superheros who would have done this and that if you were there, should go to court with all your evidence and convict this guy yourself. Since everyone one here seems to have all the answers of what they would have done' "only if they were there". And what this guy knew and did not know.

I think you are the joke you are probably one of his pier bucket buddy's if you knew anything about saltwater fishing this is not just any bass. Watch the vids we were there

Bigred

carpanglerdude
02-05-2010, 10:22 PM
the point I was trying to make is, the suspect angler had a tatoo of a Portuguese Man of War tattooed to his back, a big one, a full body tat. The suspect was then caught hauling a BSB onto the beach in front of the New Port Canyon, a big one, probably older than him. Doesn't have the werewithall to snap it off and let the beast go. My contention is nobody with a full body tat of a jellyfish and fishing wire in the NP Canyon on the first warm day in SoCal in a month is innocent hauling 100 lbs of BSB onto a crowded beach posing for pictures etc.. etc..

Do I have the facts, No. I live in a world were I have to distinguish between Ooops and malfeasance, and I don't support the fish died of Ooops.

When I read Doc report about the DA my heart sank to the bottom of the bay. I felt like it was just a game. I guess I just see things different.

You got any tats?

Ok, ok, sorry, now I see what you were saying. No arguments, that dude lost my sympathy when he dove in and dragged that pristine relic to the shore.

A joke? Fishing is srs business mang

carpanglerdude
02-05-2010, 10:23 PM
--------------

Trout-Chaser
02-06-2010, 07:42 AM
First I've heard of it--didn't make the LA Times that I know of. But man, this story makes me sick. T-shirts?! We don't need no stinkin' t-shirts! Hope nobody buys any. And hope this moron is soon big bubba's little bi#*h.

flytyingreloader
02-06-2010, 10:30 AM

The discussion centers on fair chase and ethics, not so much the fish. Don't treat an egregious poaching incident like "The Old Man And The Sea".

sansou
02-06-2010, 04:23 PM
The discussion centers on fair chase and ethics, not so much the fish. Don't treat an egregious poaching incident like "The Old Man And The Sea".

Thank you (and Big Red) for succinctly stating what most ethical sportspersons have been thinking all along.

Of course, there are always those that "just don't get it", or who are uneducated on what it means to practice the sport ethically.

Mojave River Angler
02-08-2010, 09:36 AM
If men can't treat each other with respect on any given subject, ethics is no longer part of the equasion. Can't we just sell tickets and have lions tear him apart so there can be "justice"

Saving a species from extenction is a worthy cause. Putting people in jail won't really have much impact either way. We deserve some kind of Darwin award for allowing our passions to get to this level.
Next...men killing men over fish...oh, wait that's already going on..Whale Wars.

Seems like both sides need to cool it.

DEADROOTS
02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
When you look in the DFG handbook there are two fish which are isolated from all the other fish in red outlining with specific restrictions.

I'm starting to think that maybe the state should implicate a mandatory 8 hour class just as they have for hunters.

Its becoming apparent that people are incapable of going out of their way to learn ethics these days.

There is no reason for his ignorance.

The DFG should use imposed education with a mandatory class which would teach the basics before privileging citizens just as the do with most licenses!!

There are too many morons with rods out there!

DEADROOTS-

basscat
02-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Instead of draggin the BSB back to shore to cut the line/hook, the guy should have just cut the wire leader as close as possible and let the corrosive salt water do its job and the hook would have dissolved.

Here's what DFG says to do:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/ocal/archives/j_f_05_16-19.pdf

Here's what the dumb fisherman should have done instead of trying to pass water thru its gills. He should have pointed the BSB's head to the bottom instead of keeping it parallel to the waterline, which is in line with DFG's procedures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkRYt3ooLs4

DockRat
02-08-2010, 07:48 PM
He should have pointed the BSB's head to the bottom instead of keeping it parallel to the waterline, which is in line with DFG's procedures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkRYt3ooLs4

The best part of that video is that they didn't try to pick it up for the pic.
Too many people have to shove their hands in the gills to pick them up or lip gaff them then lay them on the deck flopping around, removing the slime, then pick them up for the stupid ' Look At Me ' pic.
DR

carpanglerdude
02-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Hey, that guy has a YouTube account..the BD guys found it:
http://www.youtube.com/user/japothaker

Lol at the comments on the page

DockRat
02-09-2010, 05:52 AM
Saving a species from extenction is a worthy cause. Putting people in jail won't really have much impact either way.

All this publicity, news footage, comments ONLY HELPS will have a positive affect.
Look how many people have been educated due to Dumbass Jons actions. The guy is clearly telling Lies.
The website conflicts with the BSB videos. Asking for handouts with a BS website.

Seems like both sides need to cool it.
Get the rope.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p218/levijackson/OldWestHanging-275.jpg DR