PDA

View Full Version : What works at Santa Fe Dam

Cartman
02-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Santa Fe Dam is the closest lake to where I live. I went over there today and drop-shot some mini jigs and a gulp worm. No response, though I wasn't really surprised. I wonder what works where at that lake or if they have any fish or not.

Lightning
02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Give it a month or so to warm up.Then you should be good to go.

jbassc
02-02-2010, 08:58 PM
3/4 oz white spinnerbait

Cartman
02-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Lightning, to what do you refer? I spent the day today with one powerbait rod, and I threw everything I had on the other rod. I might as well have been fishing in the desert. What should I do to catch fish when I give it a month or so to warm up?

Fishinnut
02-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Santa Fe Dam has fish in it, but they receive lots of fishing pressure from the locals that go there. If your fishing for the trout that they plant in there then you need to be there the day of the plant because otherwise you may only catch one or two fish the entire day following a plant (if your lucky). The locals will take as many as they can carry and what ever fish that aren't caught they get eaten by the bass. It's not a very large or deep lake at all compared to some of the other local spots so the fish are constantly moving around, therefore, you got move too. I suggest using ultra lite set ups with super light leaders say 2 to 3lbs for the trout and if your really serious about catching trout there; just be there for their plants if you can make it and you should hook up right away. As far as the bass go, you gotta go finesse with them using lite line 6 to 8lb max and small plastics that imitate their forage. That lake has shad so I usually throw grubs, worms and small jigs that can go either way (craw-fish and shad) to get bites. The bass roam so if you fish for them you also gotta move. Hey, most important thing I can tell you is that you gotta pay your dues where ever you go to learn a lake, so get back at it and I'm sure one day you'll be posting something about the great day you had at that Tough Lake.

Good fishin,

Fishinnut

FISHINGINMYBLOOD9
02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
like all city park lakes there is a lot of presure, everybody has there own techneak that works best for them i fish for bass mostly try using a drop shot set up with a grub or a worm thats a deadly set up for me and the one i use most of the time, i caught this guy in the fall on a drop shot robo worm, spiner baits also work well for me there to good luck!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/ghgfhgf.jpg

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/untitled.jpg

Poxy Boggards
02-09-2010, 12:36 PM
You want to fish the eastern side of the lake for trout. The parking lots closest to the entrance. Try floating a crawler, anything will eat a crawler- trout, bass, catfish, bluegill you name it.

I have not been out there for quite some time, but if the water is clear, use a longer leader and cast out far. Salmon eggs also work well for most DFG stocker fish. Good luck.

FishingIsNotACrime
11-30-2013, 12:06 AM
I hate ca DFG & their damn stocked fish. They work against you not with you and for you!

dday07
11-30-2013, 09:17 AM
If fishing for stocked trout..what works elsewhere will work here..good luck

wrestlefish
11-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Santa Fe has a bunch of carp also :)

I*B*CATCHIN
11-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Santa Fe has a bunch of carp also :)

This must be for me:Big Grin:

BASSCATCH
12-04-2013, 06:04 PM
This must be for me:Big Grin:

LOL at ^ Rafa's comment, man you are on it! :LOL:

ptownfisher
12-07-2013, 09:03 AM
some times corn,worms and that is it

The Birdman
12-17-2013, 01:45 AM
I asked this same question on the Peck road park thread, but does anyone know what days they stock SF dam? If for no other reason to fish at least the next day and have a chance at giving my kid a shot at catching some trout this year!

Trial and Error
12-17-2013, 09:53 AM
The water is somewhat murky and visibility is generally low (the times ive been there anyway)
Murky water means fish can't see your bait as well. (Can be a good thing or bad)
Help compensate the bad by using a lure that has some flash and/or vibration. This will help the fish find your bait.
Jbass mentioned a white spinnerbait, that provides vibration and flash. The times I've been there a fire tiger crank bait with a wide wobble worked ok.

smokehound
12-17-2013, 03:54 PM
When trout fishing, you should always have more than just PB and trout worms.

Bring plenty of spoons, thomas buoyants are deadly, especially in watermelon.

Also try dropshotting for them. target different depths.

WHen they school, they'll circle the entire lake repeatedly.. this is why the action will suddenly pick up, and everyone will get a bite at the same time.

gzank6
03-06-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm not much of a fisherman but my son and i got a cou0ple of bass last week 2/26. Another fisherman was packing up and sent his kid to me with some leftover millworms... they had no luck at all with them. 5 minutes after hooking them up we had our two bass within minutes of each other but then nothing after that. I wish we knew when they planted the trout though.