PDA

View Full Version : I saved a cormorant today even though i hate them

Fishbones
02-02-2010, 02:27 PM
I decided to go fish my local city park today Belvedere park for a few hours. I arrived there to find the lake pretty much empty except for 1 fisherman. so i went to chat made a new friend and got him to look up FNN and register when he got home and continued on my way. I worked the lake for a while and noticed a cormorant swimming circles in the center of the lake.
He must have been caught on a fishing line that was then caught on one of the ropes that divide the lake and between fountains, so right away i already knew that i was going to save this bird.. cormorant or not. My tackle that i brought to the lake was just a medium spinning outfit with 10lb...so i go thru my gear pirate a treble hook off a lure and tie it to my line with a weight.
I started casting towards the bird and finally snag the line hes attached to and start yanking and break off. I did this a few times before i said to my self i need heavier line and i was out of cheap lures to pirate trebles from.
So i went home grab a set up with 30lb and some old trebles and weights and went back to rescue this bird.
I casted my new set up ..snagged the line and broke the 30lb off...i said dam...tryed again and broke off again...i was on my last hook and weight ...i casted snagged the line right under this poor drowning bird and yanked ...i felt what i thought was line break and my last chance to save it...but to my surprise hes off and swimming free to be joined with the other cormorants. I said yes!!! hes off and went home.... for once i was rooting for the cormorant...LoL...

I know i did a thread about these pain in the ***** but when i saw that helpless bird swimming circles waiting to die i knew i had to do something....Some will cheer me and some will boo me i dont care its a helpless animal.......Fishbones

fisherman from long beach
02-02-2010, 03:12 PM
good job,still its a helpless bird

Trout 1
02-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Hey man as much as I hate them I would have done the same...

Trout 1

Poxy Boggards
02-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Nice job rescuing an animal in distress! Hopefully he swears off of his fish diet, and becomes a vegan...LOL

smokehound
02-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Good going! Very glad to hear you saved him. You are a good human being.

troutdog
02-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Yeah I despise the buzzards myself, but you did the right thing....good karma :Thumbs Up:

TD

Fishbones
02-02-2010, 08:37 PM
thank you guys.....the second he broke free and swam up to the ledge his buddies were sitting on and with the last of his energy jumped up and just lay'd there for a minute...i knew that i was just in time...

Frenchy
02-02-2010, 08:49 PM
good job on the save as much as i hate them birds its part of mother nature and were already destroying that so why not help good job props to you

lngbchfnhnter
02-03-2010, 05:07 AM
Nice going,I would of done the same thing.. Good juju !!

DockRat
02-03-2010, 06:52 AM
.. Good juju !!

Like he said. Good JuJu, Karma
On monday I was hanging out at the Queen Mary Public fishing area and these people were walking by me pointing and then I heard 'Turtle' so I get out and am looking for a Sea Turtle.

'Where' they point down by the rocks. I see a 6" Red Ear Slider fresh water turtle swimming along the rocks.
Grab a stick and pushed him close and grabbed him. Poor guy got blown down the LA River and was swimming the port. Had to go back to work so I gave it to this family and they were going to wash him off and release it or keep it. Pretty funny seeing a Red Ear Slider in the Port.
DR

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
02-03-2010, 06:57 AM
dang cormie lovers.....lol..goodtimes brother, i would have done the same..he eats fish it's his lively hood..good save bro..

Trout-Chaser
02-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Fishbones--you are to be commended. Your type of compassion is something the world needs a whole lot more of. Wildlie is NOT disposable.

BTW--My other passion is birds--I've been a birder for 50 years--and one of my conservation efforts with Los Angeles Audubon was getting fishing line recylcing stations put in at all lakes and piers to avoid just this sort of incident (still a long way to go in this effort) and educating fishermen about properly disposing of discarded line and tackle. Derelict tackle is the cause of a lot of bird deaths each year (see my blogpost for more info)

http://urbanwildhome.blogspot.com/2009/09/hazards-to-urban-birds-death-and-city.html

I know some tackle breaks off and is out of our control; but there is a lot that just gets left on the ground thoughtlessly.

:Applause:Thanks Fishbone, for caring enough about one of God's creatures to save it from a horrible death.

--Linda

Fishbones
02-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Trout-chaser...thank you and everyone else.....
Where ever i fish i almost always leave with a pocket full of old line and tackle thats left either on the ground or i snag while fishing...you know what birds are cool...are those night ravens you see at sun down around the docks or shore.....there kinda creepy but cool.....fishbones

Trout-Chaser
02-04-2010, 10:36 AM
You mean these? http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Black-crowned_Night-Heron

Fishbones
02-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah...there awesome.....

old pudd fisher
02-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Nice going on the bird save fishbones. This may sound wierd but I saved a crow in my backyard tree when I lived in West Covina years ago. The poor bird was wraped in fishing line ?? I cut him free.

Fishbones
02-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Nice....ive always liked crows. Fishing line?? is your backyard a lake?

sansou
02-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Nice job saving the bird Fishbones.

I've always wondered why the lakes don't hire falconers, or a falconer club, to do their hobby at a lake. Perhaps these birds are a protected species?

Either way, I think it would be interesting to watch...

TUNAVIC
02-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey that reminds me of the time I was fishing out of Davies Launch, I was headed thru the harbor to go out Angels gate, about half way there I see this 6-8lbfish floating, its all gold and in perfect shape! Can you guess what it was? A big fat Carp! Ha I couldn't believe it, I've come this way many times and this was the first time I found floating Carp, it was also after a storm, by the way we found 2 more. I thought this is cool, lets take some pics, carp in the ocean, well as usuall when you have a strange pic chance the batteries where dead in the camera oh well.
Cya Tuna Vic

Hometown
02-12-2010, 10:46 PM
:Razz::Razz::Big Grin:carp in the ocean thats nothing I found a marlin floating belly up at CACHUMA last week they must be spawning

Fishbones
02-12-2010, 10:57 PM
:Razz::Razz::Big Grin:carp in the ocean thats nothing I found a marlin floating belly up at CACHUMA last week they must be spawning

striped or blue......LOL

Fishbones
02-13-2010, 12:00 AM

striped or blue......LOL