PDA

View Full Version : Lead weights illegal???

Seņor.Chilax
02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
I hear that lead weights will be illegal starting next year or something like that... is that true? I know that they are outlawed in other states, but California?

sonarbp
02-02-2010, 02:58 PM
I think it is only wheel weights to start. Here is the article...

http://www.changecalifornia.org/2009/05/leadwheelweights.html'

sonarbp

Seņor.Chilax
02-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Thank you Sonarbp... i knew this guy was full of it. hahaha! he was telling me that they were going to ban the lead weights for the balancing of wheels and also for fishing tackle. And i was think, how can that be? Every weight ive seen is lead, i know of some "organic sinkers", but that would mean millions of people would have to go out and buy new tackle. I just needed someone to back me up. thanks bro.

vanillagurilla
02-02-2010, 03:20 PM
dont forget tungsten sinkers. those bio degradable sinkers are a joke. a 1/4oz is the size of a 2 oz lead weight. and tungsten is just wAYYY to expensive.

Seņor.Chilax
02-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah, those bio degradable things... 1/4oz the size of a 2oz??? wow! didnt know that. I know my fellow anglers wouldnt like that, i know i dont.

Astrolux
02-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Its not that far fetched guys. They already banned lead bullets for game hunting excluding upland birds in a rather large area of the state. All because the California Condor frequently eats gut piles of killed animals, they are afraid of them getting lead poisoning. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if lead got totally banned sometime in the future. (at least in california)

That Dang Guy
02-02-2010, 03:57 PM
It's banned in quite a few places. In regards to fishing, some states have banned just the sales of lead weights while others have banned it out right. We all know it's coming eventually, but so far there has not been a suitable replacement. Hopefully there are manufactures working on an affordable similiar sized replacement so we don't end up getting reamed down the road.

Interesting to note that the states that have banned it, usually put a size limitation on it (under 1 oz, sometimes under 1/2oz). I believe it's to protect small game birds or something.

Seņor.Chilax
02-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Astrolux and That Dang Guy are right. It can happen, is has happened in other states, and eventually WILL happen, but for now, lets go get them on that LEAD! Thank you guys for your input. Now i can argue with this guy with some back up. hahaha. thanks.

Fire Ball
02-02-2010, 05:58 PM
They won't be banning it anytime soon, if they do at all. If they do ban lead, then I will just buy my stuff illegally, lol.

murrieta angler
02-02-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm sure that someone will invent.......I'm not telling!

Astrolux
02-02-2010, 08:28 PM
They won't be banning it anytime soon, if they do at all. If they do ban lead, then I will just buy my stuff illegally, lol.

And how do you know they wont be banning it??? Dude like I've said before you should calm way down. Your know it all attitude is getting annoying.

Its happened in other states, what makes California so special?? California is already a pretty strict state especially on environmental issues. The more I think about it, the more I am surprised it hasn't happened yet.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/get_the_lead_out.htm

Frenchy
02-02-2010, 08:40 PM
dont forget tungsten sinkers. those bio degradable sinkers are a joke. a 1/4oz is the size of a 2 oz lead weight. and tungsten is just wAYYY to expensive.

for the record a 1/4 ounce tungsten weigt is smaller than a 1/4 lead weight. so a 1/4 ounce tungsten wieght is more like the size of a 1/8 ounce lead weight

Fire Ball
02-02-2010, 08:48 PM
And how do you know they wont be banning it??? Dude like I've said before you should calm way down. Your know it all attitude is getting annoying.

Its happened in other states, what makes California so special?? California is already a pretty strict state especially on environmental issues. The more I think about it, the more I am surprised it hasn't happened yet.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/get_the_lead_out.htm

Sorry man, lol. :Rolls Eyes: There hasn't been any talk of it or anything and they can't ban something in a matter of days or anything. It takes time for these things to pass. I never said they won't ban it, I said that they won't be doing it anytime soon, if they ban it at all. I knew Washington has ban lead already because of the loons, but I thought that was the only state as far as banning it for use in fishing. Do you know why New Hampshire banned it?

dockboy
02-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Both states banned it out of environmental concerns. Several of the Great Lakes States are talking about banning it. If Im not mistaken, so has some of the Canadian provinces, dont take my exact word on that tho I might be mistaken. It will happen here in California. First it was for the condors, soon someone will figure out a way to ban it in freshwater. Lead DOES clutter the bottom....dont be surprised when someone with an agenda grabs hold of it. The ocean, I dont know if they will. Lead also presents a very small toxicity concern with accumulation on the bottom over time, and since freshwater means drinking water in California, I doubt it will be long before someone finds a way to finagle a lawsuit over lead use in public water reservoirs.
I dont think it will take too long to come up with a relatively cheap alternative. Many fly fisherman now use lead alternative shot to weight their flies down to the bottom, including myself. Tungsten is great, but since the raw metal is expensive to mine and process, I dont think tungsten sinkers will get any cheaper. Bismuth isnt an option unfortunately because most forms of it contain a small bit of lead.

Astrolux
02-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Actually Washington hasn't yet committed to the ban of lead in fishing and is supposed to announce its decision this month. But if they do they will be following lead restrictions similar to restrictions in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and New York. Most of these restrictions are related to Loons. Loons choose small pebbles to help digest their food in their stomachs. A lead weight mistaken for a pebble and sent into the digestive system will cause lead poisoning.