PDA

View Full Version : going to climb whitney late august-early september

oakboy
01-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Anyone have any info for fishing here? I am going to go the normal route and camp at basecamp; which i hear has fish. Any advice would be awesome! :LOL:

KP
<><

FISHNCHIPS
01-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Climbed,or rather hiked to the top(13 miles) August of 86 and at the parking lot there was a small pond that looked like it was stocked.
I don't remember being near water on the trail up. More importantly,the hike should be done in two days.
Camp overnight at the lot and then pack camp at the 11,000 foot level camp to acclimate to the altitude.
Thought I could do it easy the first time in one day and was hit at 13,000 with horrendous headache and nausea. There were two of us laying beside the trail in agony,only took 1,000 feet down to feel much better.
Also it was 16 degrees the night I spent at 11,000,take a good bag,I didn't and suffered.
Take a camera,you,re on top of the world up there!

JAG107
01-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Whitney is unbelievable, I've climbed it from the trail and mountaineers rte many many times, however I've never fished it. Supposedly there's both DFG bows at the Portal and possibly wild goldens in Boy Scout Lake, which one of these days I will have to confirm for myself :)
Have a blast!

JAG107
01-31-2010, 09:10 PM
I've never camped there either, I always summit and back in a day but it is indeed buttass cold up there, in August it can be 10 degrees or less at the summit at sunrise, so be prepared!

IncredibleHuck
01-31-2010, 10:31 PM
One day I will make this hike as well...good luck!

sevenout
01-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Lone Pine Lake, the first body of water you hike to (about 3 miles up from the Portal) has some decent fishing for small trout. The usual dough baits and small lures work.

oakboy
02-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! Sounds like i will at least be able to cetch a few on the way to the top, i will make sure to post photos after i go.

KP
<><

Nessie Hunter
02-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Dont worry, be happy...... You can do it!!!!

But always be prepared......

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/92345NessieHunter/Parchers%206-1-07/6-1-07007.jpg

Lipripper93561
02-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Camped overnight up there on a park bench, or rather layed on the bench overnight and fished the small stream the next day for a few hours. Honestly it was just stocked or holds tons of fish, because it was WFO on dry's nymphs, spinners and eggs, my brother who was about 9 or 10 at the time, got stealthy on a fish, slowly reaching into the stream and grabbed one with his hand, we realeased them all. But the temp drops at night considerably. Bring a small ultra light or a 3wt, because it you come across a nice spot, should of would of's just don't cut it.

oakboy
02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I plan on bringing a ultra-light spinning rig for flinging spinners or eggs, i might think about bringing my 4wt fly rod, just not sure if i want to bring a lot of fishing gear. I will probably bring a second rod if we plan to make it a three day hike. Its tough when the people im going with are more focused on the hike and i am focused on what fish i can catch up there.

KP
<><

JAG107
02-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Sounds like my old man will be hiking with you! No stopping, straight to the top, 20 min break at the peak and straight back down! Lol Well definitely get your casts in and enjoy the unbelievable scenery, Whitney wilderness is to me the most beautiful place on Earth. Definitely get up to a high ridge early enough to see a sunrise coming over the White mountains, it will change your life.

sierraslam
02-04-2010, 07:09 AM
whatever you do don't fish Consultation lake near trail Camp. There are no 18 inch bows in there to be had. JK Bro. I camped at Consultation 3 years ago and crushed some beautiful trout. Hundreds of people camp at Trial Camp to get a good start at the summit, but it sucks up there. We hiked to consultation and set up camp at a lake we had to ourselves. The next day we just fished all day and the fishing was great. The third day we made the summit. This was the way to do it for me because it takes me a while to acclimate. Have fun!

tpfishnfool
02-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Was thinking about that climb this summer on the Whitney Trail, the easiest trail from what I have read. How tough of a climb is this and do you leave your pack/tent at the Trail camp before you summit then pick it up on the way down or haul everything to the top ?
Are Permits hard to get for September ?
Whats the Difficulty factor from 1-10?

Thanks for any input..

JAG107
02-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Permit difficulty? 11 out of 10.
Climbing? The Trail Crest switchbacks can make or break you, that's what usually knocks ppl out. I don't know if you can leave your gear anywhere b/c I'm only a day hiker. Good luck on the permits though.

tpfishnfool
02-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks Jag..

oakboy
02-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Our plan is to go in late August or early September when it is somewhat easier to get a permit. Also we are doing the hike in three days. Hiking to Consultation lake and camping; day two we will summit and come back to camp; then hike out on day three. With as much fishing crammed in there as i can. I figure the hike to Consultation Lake will help us get acclimated to the elevation and give me some time to fish!

KP
<><

OOPS Typo!!! Not December; august!

Sierra_Smitty
02-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Late December? Wow....you're a braver man than I.

Early September is a good choice - but permits won't be much easier as Labor Day is a bit later this year. You'll llikely be in a lottery so make your plans and cross your fingers. One of these days I'll give it a shot - but I'll come from the west insead of coming from the portal.

sierraslam
02-05-2010, 04:07 AM
I sent my application for a permit already. It is best to give a wide range of dates when applying and plan your trip if you get in. I know people that have applied for weekends only and did not get a permit. Be flexible in other words. Go to Whitney portal store .com for application info. good luck!

Mojave River Angler
02-05-2010, 04:33 PM
I did this hike in 08. We were going for a 1 day deal. Our agreement was that if we didn't make the top of the switchbacks (13,600') by 1pm we had to turn back. I got there at 2, so took a nice break and turned back. Still didn't reach the portal till 10:30pm. Next time I'll start at 3:30am instead of 5:30. Aslo, if you are an office creampuff, do a little training up to this. It will hurt a lot less when you get off the trail. There is a lot of good reading on the web about the trail and what to take...bla...bla...bla. Everybody in our party took too much stuff. If there are several people in your party expect that unless bound by cables, you will divide into a fast group and a slower group. Not a problem, unless only one of you is carrying the "group first aid kit". You can see where this goes. Next time I go I'll definately take fish gear. It wasn't even on my mind last time. Too bad.

I look forward to your report on this adventure. It will be a trip to remember. Take your cell phone, but keep it off until you summit. It only works on the peak, so no point in having it roaming killing the battery. Call someone you love.

JAG107
02-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Those are all excellent tips for the first timers, Mojave!
I think the majority of your pack weight should be water, also. Go lighter on the other stuff, and definitely skip the red bulls, I only made that mistake once.

oakboy
03-29-2010, 09:25 AM
well, no luck on the permit. Soooooo no climbing Whitney but i will be making a trip up to the sierras regardless....

JAG107
03-29-2010, 04:36 PM
sorry to hear it bro. Lots of other great places to try. How about Mt Langley, which could take you into Golden country-- Cottonwood lakes??? Roads off of whitney portal rd.

tpfishnfool
03-31-2010, 08:20 AM
well, no luck on the permit. Soooooo no climbing Whitney but i will be making a trip up to the sierras regardless....

Wow ! already got the answer ? I submited three diff dates and have not got received an answer yet.