PDA

View Full Version : Two skunks, trying again Sunday!

Trout Doctor
01-30-2010, 11:00 PM
I went out weekend before last and got nothing, no bites. Went this Monday and again caught nothing, no bites. I basically just sat at Woody's Cove (I think, I don't know the lake well yet, it's the cove just past the private boat launch ramp). I was using one pole with an inflated nightcrawler that I'm not even sure I'm baiting right. Yes, I'm that dumb, ha! I basically poke it through once up top, push it up the line, poke it through in the middle, push it up, and poke it at the other end. Some guy showed me that the first time I got skunked a few months ago. Other pole was just power bait, with garlic, rainbow, and chartreuse all given a chance. Both are Carolina rigged.

Anyway, Sunday a friend of mine is visiting from Philly, so we're taking out my new inflatable raft! If you see two people paddling around looking lost, give us a wave. And if we're breaking any etiquette rules, please correct us, but refrain from throwing things at us. All I know is try not to go over people's lines and stay outside the buoys. We don't have a motor though, so at least we won't accidentally cut any lines!

I figure we'll try the flats, since people talk about them a lot. Any suggestions for where to cast around out there? Should we just drop something near the middle? What are the rules as far as casting toward shore? I figure they'll be close and shallow since it's been so cold, but I don't want to T off any shore fishermen.

If my phone gets signal I'll try to post pictures if we catch anything, or if one of us falls in the lake. I figure either event would be noteworthy.

Mondo21
01-31-2010, 02:38 AM
Don't give up Trout Doctor, the SKUNK gets the best of us. You'll learn the lake and will be catching and posting about the 4 and 5lber you caught. Good Luck out there. Cindy

MAVERICK27
01-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Try fishing plastics (I.E. power worms with power or gulp eggs. They make a great floating combo for a C-Rig or Drop-shot. Drop-shot has been pretty successful this season. The flats are great for you boat, but every day is different. It never hurts to ask where the fish have been as of that day when you hit the tackle shop. They are very helpful people. Good luck and post results for us to see how you faired!

Trout Doctor
01-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Maverick: I haven't the foggiest idea what a drop shot is, but I'll go google it up. I'm extremely new at this, unless you count my expeditions as a four year old with my dad.

So we failed miserably, but I'm happy to say we failed as only I am capable of! After fishing the flats for a while we tied back up at the dock and went to get a cheeseburger for lunch, which we did. When we came back, someone asked us if we had left a line in the water. We thought about it, and realized that yes, we had left a line with a worm on it about a foot down so that it didn't hook my surprisingly vulnerable inflatable raft. The gentleman then kindly informed my friend and I that a sizable trout had been surfacing all over the place, and eventually everyone at the dock realized it was hooked on my pole. By the time they figured it out it had pulled out the drag and snapped the line. Upon hearing this I laughed about as hard as I could, as it just about sums up my life. (This is mostly true, what actually happened is I threw my hat in the dirt and challenged the gods to try that **** again!! THEN I laughed.)

We had a great day on the lake, paddling around like morons. Quite a few people gave us some comments, most were all in good fun. What a blast. I really wish we could have caught something, but other than our epic failure at the dock we didn't get a single bite. The bait shop guy did teach me another way to worm a hook, using power bait on a treble and a worm trailing off one of the treble hooks. It looked delicious to me. The fish didn't agree today but I'll try it again some other time.

So that's three skunks in a row. I feel like I should have earned a merit badge or something.

Hometown
01-31-2010, 05:40 PM
I was on the lake today i think i saw you by trout island in a green raft,sorry you didnt catch the big one but keep at it.we trolled rappalaas and ended up with 6 trout all nice 3 and 4lbs with a 5lber the kicker.

Trout Doctor
01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Green raft was defintely me. There was no one else on the lake like it, haha! Glad you pulled in some great trout. I don't mean for my report to be a knock on the lake at all, I love that place. It speaks only to my inexperience! But man did I have a good time regardless!

Eventually I'll be able to afford a motor (two or three months), then you guys better watch out!!

Fishbones
01-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from the irvine shore
Aboard a tiny inflatable ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man,
The skipper brave and sure.
Two passengers set sail that day
For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed,
They docked up for a burger feast
Unknowing that a trout would be lost.

LoL im sorry that was the first thing that came to my head when i started reading your post.
you sound like you are already in the right direction...i mean..knowing proper fishing etiquette and just the right attitude to go with it keep at it and it will pay off...goodluck...fishbones

Hometown
01-31-2010, 06:42 PM
lmao spit miller high life all over my room.

bruce watson
01-31-2010, 06:56 PM
TD, I might suggest two things. If the water is a little silted or murky, you might want to shorten your leader. The best way to determine the ideal length of your leader is to go the dock before you fish. Lay on your belly with a dull penny in your hand. Hold the penny in your hand underwater. When you can no longer see the penny, bring your hand out of the water. Make your leader the length that your hand and arm are wet. In really dirty water, it might only be 8 inches. In clear water it might be 2 feet.

Next, is the inflating of worms. You sound as if you may have poked a lot of holes in your worm. It might not be able to hold enough air in it to float both it's weight but also the weight of the hook and any scents that you added. After you inflate the worm, and before you cast it, lay it in the water just in front of you and see if it stays on the surface. That way you know that it will float above the sinker and not just sink to the bottom.

BTW, the thing on worms also counts with power baits. I've seen people use a 12 hook with a small piece of powerbait, and you just know it's going to the bottom.

addict2fishing
02-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Trout doctor you have got the best attitude towards fishing that I have ever read on this site. Keep trying
and it will pay off.
Fishbones I laughed so hard I think I pissed my pants, Thanks for making my Monday morning!!!!