PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Lake 1/30

Fire Ball
01-30-2010, 07:49 PM
My dad was really tired yesterday so he didn't want to wake up early today so we decided to go in the afternoon to Castaic for some striper action. We got there and went to one of our spots near Elizabeth Canyon and didn't get anything there for a few while so we moved down to the buoy line. After a while of being there, I hooked up and reeled in a 1 lb striper. A while later, my uncle sees his rod twitching, but his line was just tangled with my dad's line. My dad reeled his line in since it was crossed with my uncle's line and he thought it was just getting pulled on from the anchor rope since his line went underneath the rope. When it was almost back to the boat, my dad saw a silver flash and reeled it in all the way and it ended up being a 2 lb striper, but the rope did most of the fighting until he got it past the rope, lol. After that we didn't get any more fish and it was getting late so we decided to head in. All of a sudden it started getting really windy and the buoy line started to drift a lot, going all the way to the boat next to the boat, when we had previously been 20 ft from it when we first anchored. We were trying to pull the anchor up, but it was stuck on something. We pulled really hard, but it was not budging and we tried a couple different techniques to get the anchor unsnagged, but it wasn't doing anything. The big barrel on the buoy line kept hitting the boat since the wind caused such a strong current and we had no chance of getting the anchor back. We ended up losing the anchor along with the chain and 150 ft of rope! Two fish wasn't that bad for only a couple hours of fishing, but I am really mad that we lost the anchor. Two of my cousins and my uncle were also fishing with us, but they didn't get any action.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8194/striper7.jpg

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4816/dadstriper6.jpg

Bass Buddy07
01-30-2010, 09:44 PM
nice stripers
i miss fishin for stripe bass

DEADROOTS
01-31-2010, 09:26 AM
That area produces a lot! Its all about the time you put in, the right tackle/bait/lures, and a little luck!
I'm still hunting down my Double Digit bass!

Good work!

DEADROOTS-

Lipripper93561
01-31-2010, 02:25 PM
On the anchor losss: after I lost 2, I swore to myself I'd never leave until I got the anchor back in the boat, best technique I have learned is to make sure you have plenty of coiled rope on the deck and keep it away from your feet, holding the anchor line in hand keeping light pressure steer the boat is small circles around the anchor, progressing into larger circles until you feel the tension on the anchor give. Make a note to yourself before pulling anchor what way you are pulling the rope, create a compass in your head, note what is at 0 degrees in front of you look back 180 for a land mark, and when pulling anchor slowly cruise back to your 180 and that should release your anchor. It get expensive loosing anchors. Good luck.

Fire Ball
01-31-2010, 03:15 PM
On the anchor losss: after I lost 2, I swore to myself I'd never leave until I got the anchor back in the boat, best technique I have learned is to make sure you have plenty of coiled rope on the deck and keep it away from your feet, holding the anchor line in hand keeping light pressure steer the boat is small circles around the anchor, progressing into larger circles until you feel the tension on the anchor give. Make a note to yourself before pulling anchor what way you are pulling the rope, create a compass in your head, note what is at 0 degrees in front of you look back 180 for a land mark, and when pulling anchor slowly cruise back to your 180 and that should release your anchor. It get expensive loosing anchors. Good luck.

That is what we basically do normally, but the buoy line moved over and was crashing into our boat, so we weren't able to go on the other side without hopping the buoy line and that could have been trouble, lol. It was a little while before they were closing too, so we didn't have very much time.

jeff4321
01-31-2010, 05:01 PM
sorry bout the anchor rope, id offer to dive down and get it for you but i dont dive and i dont wanna.

Fire Ball
01-31-2010, 06:25 PM
sorry bout the anchor rope, id offer to dive down and get it for you but i dont dive and i dont wanna.

Picked up a new anchor, rope, and chain today for $80... Hopefully we won't lose another one! :LOL:
I also picked up 2 Bass Patrol jigs too for when I go to the Lagoon.

ghetto fisherman
01-31-2010, 07:26 PM
nice striper man .keep them comeing,,